“basic friendly budget accomodation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Harlem YMCA

You added The Harlem YMCA to your Saves list
The Harlem YMCA
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   180 W. 135th Street, at Seventh Avenue, New York City, NY 10030 (Harlem)   |
Hamburg, Germany
“basic friendly budget accomodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

If travelling on a budget this no frills hostel is a good option. When I was there the elevator did not work properly but otherwise all was well functioning. The pool I found a great extra, although I did not find the time to use it. Friendly staff. Great location. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

You certainly don't expect a lot from a hostel in this price segment at the big apple.

Firstly, the room was really small! The shared bathrooms couldn't give us a better impression, but seemed to be pretty much clean.

This part of the neighborhood of Harlem and the walk to the close-by tube station seem to be safer than other parts of Harlem apparently are. With the tube it takes about 10 minutes to Times Square.

Staff at the reception was nice and helpful, even while canceling the remaining nights.

All in all: This hostel offers rooms at a great value, considering the short distance to main attractions and seems to a suitable for backpackers and hard-boiled hostel guests!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My friend and I spent three nights there and we were just looking for a good place with a reasonable price for us. Because we used to spend all day in Manhattan and just went back to YMCA to rest at night, our experience was ok. They provided one courtesy breakfast in a restaurant nearby. The subway station is located less than five minutes walking. The building, rooms and bath/restrooms are quite clean but not very attractive, maybe because the building is old. Wi-fi is available particularly in the lobby. It suited for us specially because of the price.

Room Tip: Choose the new rooms on the 11th floor, if possible. They have been recently reformed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have stayed in plenty of NYC area Ys and was not expecting anything glamorous; however, for the amount you pay to stay here, things should be a bit better.
I live in the NYC area but had to go into town for a show at JALC on a snowy evening. The weather was expected to worsen as the night went on, so I took an overnight bag and booked a room here in case the trains went down.
I got to the Harlem Y after 10 PM. During late hours, check-in is done with the security guard who will take your ID (drivers license or passport) as security. You get it back after you formally check-in and pay the following AM.
I ended up with a room on the 7th floor - 715, I believe. Spartan even by Y standards. Tiny room with barely enough space for the twin bed and dresser. There was a large college type fridge that was very clean inside. There was also a closet with its door torn off the hinges. The room itself was not incredibly clean. The corners of the floor were grimy. Heat is by radiator. There was an air conditioner still in the window on a snowy December night although it appeared to be sealed well and did not cause a draft. A 'do not disturb' sign was provided as well as a large mirror over the dresser.
A towel is provided but not a washcloth. Also, bring flip flops if you plan on staying here. You'll need them, especially for the showers.
The 7th floor was very quiet. The lounge had a microwave, soda machine, and a circular table with chairs. It seemed clean.
There is one women's toilet and shower on the 7th floor. The faucets to the sink in that bathroom are not fixed and move around when you try to use them. I used one of the private bathrooms on the 10th floor to shower. Did not find it terribly clean. There was grime and mildew in the shower stall. I will say that this was a Sunday AM and most Ys that I have stayed in have more of a skeleton cleaning crew on the weekends. Someone else had left her towel and toiletries in the shower stall, which I found annoying.
Check out was quick and no problems. The subway is very close to the entrance and I don't find this part of Harlem (half a block away from Harlem Hospital) all that rough.
Basically, I would book at the Y in Greenpoint before here. Also, if you can, would put out what is probably an extra $20/night and stay at the Y on the Upper West Side, which is basic but nice and a very nice location. Would only stay here in a pinch. It is safe and quiet though.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a floor other than 7, especially if you are a woman. There are more bathrooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had a fabulous experience! And I will definitely come back and recommend this place to anyone going to NYC on a budget. Unlike a different review, first thing: nothing was stolen. I only had wonderful experiences here. Seriously, the staff was incredible. You could just tell everyone loved their job and was here to help. The room was small, very small, and the bed was what you'd find at a summer camp from grade school (thin mattress, single beds, kinda lumpy, cheap pillows). BUT the blanket was great and fluffy! And the room was always very clean and my bed was made every night when I came home! And the bathrooms were almost always available when I wanted to use one. There was one time in my 5 day stay where I had to go to a different floor to use the restroom, but that was no big deal. It took forever for the water to heat up, but once I figured that out, it was no problem either. I really can't say enough about how fabulous my experience was. I loved it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights in September 2013. Given I was not in NYC as a tourist, I did not see much sense in shelling hundreds of dollars per night, so settled for the Harlem ymca. I was given room 721. The room had a double bed, a fridge and a chest of drawers. No tv, no chairs, no signage to let housekeeping know not to disturb. For air circulation there was a very noisy a/c unit, although the room was too basic for my liking and dated it was clean. I notified staff of my need for a chair and a signage, was advised to borrow a chair from the common area and was given a nicely handwritten temporary signage for my first night. The staff is courteous but I feel they do not have all the tools to provide a better guest experience, which is up to management. A restricted free wifi is provided. Although I did not expect much given the price a tv hooked up to the wall is not too much to ask in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 10th floor, as it is where the private bathrooms are located.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

It is clean (and there is constant cleaning of the common areas), the price is great (you cannot find anything cheaper in central NYC), the gym that you can use is absolutely fantastic! We realized that the machines that they have there are better than at our gyms at home in central Berlin. The tube station is a half a block away, which makes it easy to get around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Harlem YMCA? Share your experiences!