“Currently under lobby construction, but still nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park South Hotel

You added Park South Hotel to your Saves list
Park South Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   124 East 28th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Flatiron District)   |
Ranked #149 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Bettendorf, Iowa
“Currently under lobby construction, but still nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my parents and boyfriend July 9 through July 11. Was thrown off to arrive and find the main doors closed and entering through a side door. Major construction going on in the lobby. They are currently working out of a make shift counter area in what is a hallway. I though "uh-oh" I have made a BAD choice! Check in was smooth, and when we got to our room on the second floor, I was impressed. Very recently renovated. Modern, comfortable furnishing. The beds were comfortable, slept like a baby each night. The room itself was not huge, but for NY standards it was generous in square footage. The bathroom was lovely and again spacious for a NY hotel. Despite the construction going on downstairs, we never heard any of it once in our room. The location is great, walking distance to the flatiron, Times Square, theater district. There is a subway station (6 train) right at the end of the block, so getting uptown or downtown is a cinch also. Of note, I did try the "roof" twice. The crowd is a young professional crowd. Drinks are overpriced - typical for NY, but worst is they were BAD!! The second night we tried it again (I was tired and didn't want to walk somewhere, so I thought it would be hard to mess up a glass of wine). Even though we were hotel guest, they could not accommodate us - so we wound up at a local Irish bar instead. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THE ROOF!! Otherwise, nice stay. Just be aware of current construction. If it matters to you, maybe call the hotel and ask when they will be done.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for the favorable review despite the issues you encountered, it is most gracious and kind of you. I am disappointed that you did not have a favorable experience in our rooftop bar and lounge. It’s never our intent to make our guests wait to gain access to the space as it was designed with them in mind. I do apologize for any inconvenience. I am pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations and hope you were not put off terribly by the ongoing lobby renovations. We are making every effort to limit guest exposure to this ongoing work. I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon perhaps when our work is in fact completed. Please feel free to reach out to me personally so I can assist with your next accommodations. Thank you again.

Christiaan Aldoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The renovated king room was great. The shower was amazing .the location is great and we could get anywhere from here. The front desk and doormen were very helpful. The hotel is usually hard to get a good price ,but because of the reservations they had some specials.

Room Tip: High rooms could be quieter and the king are larger sized rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and for the wonderful review. I’m very pleased you enjoyed both our team and the hotel. We have specials frequently and it is always wise to book directly with us. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us on your next planned visit to NYC. Thanks again.

Surrey, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I took my 15 year old son to New York as a post-GCSE treat, he had never visited the Big Apple before. Reading the reviews, and seeing it on the British Airways hotel website, I decided to book for three nights. We arrived at JFK, took the AirTrain/Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station and walked the few blocks to 28th Street. The staff at reception were most welcoming and provided me with all the local information that I needed. Our room had two double beds, a great TV, and bathroom. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quietness of the room, I have spent many nights in NYC prior to this and been awoken by street noise, police cars etc. The air conditioning was effective, and the bathroom had plenty of towels, soaps and other toiletries. The room was clean and had a safe, the only thing missing was a small fridge.
Breakfast was cereals, pastries, fruit, coffee and tea, and juices and was perfectly acceptable. We visited the roof top bar which was well worth doing, nice views of the local scenery of Manhattan, including the Chrysler building. The hotel is very close to the 28th Street subway which made it convenient to get around town. Also it's only a few blocks from the Empire State Building and Macy's. We thought it a good choice of hotel and would stay again if the price was right. If you are into Indian food, the hotel seems to be in the heart of the Indian restaurant area, with many eateries a few steps away.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing the Park South for your son’s first visit to NYC, we are honored. I’m pleased you both were happy with your selection and that you were able to visit our NEW rooftop bar and lounge, Roof at Park South. Everyone always remembers their first visit to NYC so we are happy to be a part of that memory. I hope we get to welcome you both back again soon. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance on your next planned visit. Thank you.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Park South Hotel is a small old-style hotel in a great spot in mid-town Manhattan, easy walking distance to Times Square/Theater District, or downtown to the Flatiron District & beyond. (I easily walked down to SoHo on a pleasant summer's day, through Madison Square Park, Union Square & Washington Square Park.)
I was given the choice or a newly refurbished (but small) room on an upper floor, or a larger, un-renovated room on the ground floor. I chose the former. Yes, the room was small, but very well appointed (including airconditioning), tastefully decorated and more than adequate for my needs. I could just about swing a cat, were I so inclined! The main poor feature was the view out the window - to another building a few yards away - but I suspect that's to be expected in Manhattan in this type of hotel. I also think a small fridge would have been helpful.
The provided breakfast was nothing exciting, but included a selection of juices, cereals, yoghurts, pastries and bread for toasting - again, more than adequate (and a lot better than the tired pastries I've endured as my 'included breakfast' in other hotels).
I didn't get a chance to get to the (also newly renovated) roof bar/restaurant, so can't comment on that.
I would definitely recommend Park South if you're not into the chain hotels... the staff were helpful, the location was great, the room was pleasant, and both WiFi and a good (not cooked) breakfast were included in my rate. As with any Manhattan hotel in summer, the rates were way more than I'm used to paying in other cities, but that's New York for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room - and on a higher to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, we do appreciate it. I’m pleased we were able to offer you a choice of accommodations when you arrived. Our rooms do vary in size and view so I hope the smaller courtyard option was not an inconvenience. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and that you will not hesitate to contact me for a complimentary upgrade on your next visit. Thank you again.

Prosper, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My son and I stayed here while visiting his school. Everyone was so friendly, from the reservation people who assured us that our flight delay wouldn't cause us and problems with our room to the housekeeping staff who made sure we had what we needed to be comfortable. Beds were very comfortable. Great location, clean room, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I’m so pleased you both enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful review and feedback, we do appreciate it. I gather your soon will be attending one of our local colleges during the next few years. Congratulations to you both, I hope you will not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance in the near future. Thank you again.

Very warm regards,
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I visit NYC on annual basis and often stay in different places if I cannot get my first choices of accommodation. I was lucky enough to get a deal that suited my budget and was pleased to see the positive reviews the hotel gets, to which I can add mine. Right from check in which was friendly, informative and unhurried to the moment I took the shuttle to the airport, I had a very enjoyable stay at the PSH.

My room was on the 8th floor and was very quiet which I had requested. The room itself was quite compact but perfectly organised and there was a lot of attention to detail which I found very pleasing. There is plenty of storage space and I also had a bathtub which was a real treat after a hot sticky day!

The continental breakfast that came with the room was very useful, especially when I had an early start and there was a good selection to choose from. Though there were renovations going on in the hotel, these did not disrupt my stay in the slightest and I found all the staff were genuinely friendly, helpful and prompt which really does make a difference - it made for a nice atmosphere and really reassures guests that they are valued.

I also have to recommend the rooftop bar which is definitely worth a visit or two - the vibe is quite friendly and as it is open to the general public, if you don't feel like going out far for a drink but still want to be sociable, it is a great place plus it is right on your doorstep (or rooftop!). One point - the South Elevator took me to the rooftop but I ended up having to take the lift down to ground level and then walk round the block to get back to my room rather than having the same lift take me back. I am sure there is a system in place for guests so be sure to ask!

Overall, I had a great stay at PSH and would recommend and stay here again in a New York minute. If you can get a great deal, then do not hesitate to book. PSH looks set to become one of my favourite places to stay in NYC - a great hotel for a great city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post your wonderful review, we truly appreciate it. It’s always pleasing to hear from our guests especially when they are satisfied with our services and accommodations. I do have to apologize for having to make you walk around the block to regain access to your hotel room. Our security measures have been carefully adjusted so this does not reoccur. We have a number of enhancements planned for this year which I’m certain you will be pleased with from a new lobby and public areas to added food and beverage options. I hope you will continue giving us your input as we progress. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance with your next planned visit. Thank you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

From the moment you arrive at the Park South Hotel, you are made to feel very welcome indeed. Every member of staff we encountered during our 6 night stay were extremely friendly and if there was anything you needed, or wanted to know, they were more than happy to help. The room (Superior King) had been recently refurbished and was a decent and comfortable size for New York. The room and en-suite bathroom were very clean - and you had the option to choose clean bedding and towels every day if you wished. The location of the hotel was perfect, the subway Uptown and Downtown was at the end of the street and it is in easy walking distance of the Empire State Building, Madison Square Park/Flatiron Building and Union Square. The hotel now has the welcome addition of a recently opened roof-top cocktail bar which has fantastic views of the surrounding buildings and of the Chrysler building - definitely worth a visit for an early evening drink and watching the skyline transform as darkness falls! A great hotel and one I would most definitely use again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the insightful and kind review. I’m very pleased you enjoyed your stay as well the accommodations. We have a number of upcoming projects to enhance the hotel even further this year so I look forward to your continued feedback as we progress. I hope you will reach out to me personally when planning your next visit it would be my pleasure to assist you. Thank you again.

Christiaan Aldoy

Been to Park South Hotel? Share your experiences!