“Small but (almost) perfectly formed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park South Hotel

You added Park South Hotel to your Saves list
Park South Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   124 East 28th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Flatiron District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
10% Off Special !
Ranked #147 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Small but (almost) perfectly formed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Park South Hotel is a small old-style hotel in a great spot in mid-town Manhattan, easy walking distance to Times Square/Theater District, or downtown to the Flatiron District & beyond. (I easily walked down to SoHo on a pleasant summer's day, through Madison Square Park, Union Square & Washington Square Park.)
I was given the choice or a newly refurbished (but small) room on an upper floor, or a larger, un-renovated room on the ground floor. I chose the former. Yes, the room was small, but very well appointed (including airconditioning), tastefully decorated and more than adequate for my needs. I could just about swing a cat, were I so inclined! The main poor feature was the view out the window - to another building a few yards away - but I suspect that's to be expected in Manhattan in this type of hotel. I also think a small fridge would have been helpful.
The provided breakfast was nothing exciting, but included a selection of juices, cereals, yoghurts, pastries and bread for toasting - again, more than adequate (and a lot better than the tired pastries I've endured as my 'included breakfast' in other hotels).
I didn't get a chance to get to the (also newly renovated) roof bar/restaurant, so can't comment on that.
I would definitely recommend Park South if you're not into the chain hotels... the staff were helpful, the location was great, the room was pleasant, and both WiFi and a good (not cooked) breakfast were included in my rate. As with any Manhattan hotel in summer, the rates were way more than I'm used to paying in other cities, but that's New York for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room - and on a higher to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, we do appreciate it. I’m pleased we were able to offer you a choice of accommodations when you arrived. Our rooms do vary in size and view so I hope the smaller courtyard option was not an inconvenience. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and that you will not hesitate to contact me for a complimentary upgrade on your next visit. Thank you again.

Christiaan Aldoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Prosper, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My son and I stayed here while visiting his school. Everyone was so friendly, from the reservation people who assured us that our flight delay wouldn't cause us and problems with our room to the housekeeping staff who made sure we had what we needed to be comfortable. Beds were very comfortable. Great location, clean room, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I’m so pleased you both enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful review and feedback, we do appreciate it. I gather your soon will be attending one of our local colleges during the next few years. Congratulations to you both, I hope you will not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance in the near future. Thank you again.

Very warm regards,
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I visit NYC on annual basis and often stay in different places if I cannot get my first choices of accommodation. I was lucky enough to get a deal that suited my budget and was pleased to see the positive reviews the hotel gets, to which I can add mine. Right from check in which was friendly, informative and unhurried to the moment I took the shuttle to the airport, I had a very enjoyable stay at the PSH.

My room was on the 8th floor and was very quiet which I had requested. The room itself was quite compact but perfectly organised and there was a lot of attention to detail which I found very pleasing. There is plenty of storage space and I also had a bathtub which was a real treat after a hot sticky day!

The continental breakfast that came with the room was very useful, especially when I had an early start and there was a good selection to choose from. Though there were renovations going on in the hotel, these did not disrupt my stay in the slightest and I found all the staff were genuinely friendly, helpful and prompt which really does make a difference - it made for a nice atmosphere and really reassures guests that they are valued.

I also have to recommend the rooftop bar which is definitely worth a visit or two - the vibe is quite friendly and as it is open to the general public, if you don't feel like going out far for a drink but still want to be sociable, it is a great place plus it is right on your doorstep (or rooftop!). One point - the South Elevator took me to the rooftop but I ended up having to take the lift down to ground level and then walk round the block to get back to my room rather than having the same lift take me back. I am sure there is a system in place for guests so be sure to ask!

Overall, I had a great stay at PSH and would recommend and stay here again in a New York minute. If you can get a great deal, then do not hesitate to book. PSH looks set to become one of my favourite places to stay in NYC - a great hotel for a great city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to post your wonderful review, we truly appreciate it. It’s always pleasing to hear from our guests especially when they are satisfied with our services and accommodations. I do have to apologize for having to make you walk around the block to regain access to your hotel room. Our security measures have been carefully adjusted so this does not reoccur. We have a number of enhancements planned for this year which I’m certain you will be pleased with from a new lobby and public areas to added food and beverage options. I hope you will continue giving us your input as we progress. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance with your next planned visit. Thank you.

Warm regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

From the moment you arrive at the Park South Hotel, you are made to feel very welcome indeed. Every member of staff we encountered during our 6 night stay were extremely friendly and if there was anything you needed, or wanted to know, they were more than happy to help. The room (Superior King) had been recently refurbished and was a decent and comfortable size for New York. The room and en-suite bathroom were very clean - and you had the option to choose clean bedding and towels every day if you wished. The location of the hotel was perfect, the subway Uptown and Downtown was at the end of the street and it is in easy walking distance of the Empire State Building, Madison Square Park/Flatiron Building and Union Square. The hotel now has the welcome addition of a recently opened roof-top cocktail bar which has fantastic views of the surrounding buildings and of the Chrysler building - definitely worth a visit for an early evening drink and watching the skyline transform as darkness falls! A great hotel and one I would most definitely use again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the insightful and kind review. I’m very pleased you enjoyed your stay as well the accommodations. We have a number of upcoming projects to enhance the hotel even further this year so I look forward to your continued feedback as we progress. I hope you will reach out to me personally when planning your next visit it would be my pleasure to assist you. Thank you again.

Millersville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I visit NY on business about 12 times a year. Park South Hotel has become my preferred place to stay, for several reasons.... First, the staff, from reservations to front desk to the bar and housekeeping is always so friendly. Second... it's a boutique hotel experience with a European touch. The location is great... wonderful neighborhood... many, many good restaurants within a block or two. I've always enjoyed the intimate ground floor bar, and now the rooftop experience offers a very exciting option with amazing city views.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful comments and review, the team and I certainly appreciate it. We are honored to be your preferred hotel in NYC with so many choices and serious competition. I’m not certain if we have met in person yet but I certainly hope we have the opportunity to meet on your next visit as I always like to be well connected with our frequent guests. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance with your next accommodations. Thank you again.

Very warm regards,
Glasgow, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed at the Park South at the end of April / beginning of May for business and was very impressed.
Room size was amazing (I was there for almost 2 weeks, so size does matter!) Decorated to a high standard and really nice bathroom. My room also had a view of the Chrysler Building (although I gather there are only a couple of rooms with that view)
The location is ideal for getting around town, be it for meetings (I had meetings across Manhattan) or for leisure.
The best part about the Park South hotel however was the staff. Genuinely could not do enough to help you and went out of their way to give helpful advise and assistance. They seemed to genuinely like each other and have a good rapport which was wonderful to see.
The Roof Terrace was closed when I was there but have seen a couple of images since and looking forward to checking it out on my return later on this year.
I will definitely stay here for my next trip to NY.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We certainly look forward to having you with us again and the opportunity to serve you. It’s a shame you missed our rooftop bar lounge opening but I hope you will make it back before the season ends. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally so that I can assist with your next visit. Thank you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed for five nights at the Park South Hotel in Midtown. Our room was quite small, but just the wright size for my mom and me. Nice interior, just like the photos on their website. Only the airconditioner was very loud and we couldn't turn it off or turn it down, this was quite annoying jurying the night. The staff was very friendly and a extra addition to the hotel is the rooftop bar with nice cocktails and a amazing view. The hotel is including breakfast, quite extensive with bagels, muffins, eggs and yogurt, but only toppings like (american) peanut butter, jam and creme cheese. After a couple of days I missed some variation in toppings like cheese or meat like ham or salami (or something like that). The hotel is well situated in midtown, right next to the 28 St. subway station, little India and nice bars and restaurants. Nice quiet ambiance in the hotel, overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel were very quiet. We stayed in 501. We looked out on a enclosure of bu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the gracious and kind review despite the challenges you encountered with your air conditioner. I do apologize that the issue even occurred and hope we did not inconvenience you greatly. I hope the unfortunate circumstances do not prevent you from returning to the Park South. My thanks again for the nice feedback and thorough review.

Kind regards,
Christiaan Aldoy

Been to Park South Hotel? Share your experiences!