“Free Laughs with Free Cake” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #314 of 809 Activities in New York City
Type: Comedy Clubs, Performances
Denver, Colorado
11 attraction reviews
“Free Laughs with Free Cake”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

First let me say, Free Cake was really funny! This Improv group opened for another act that just got too raunchy, and in my opinion, when Improv gets raunchy, it has lost the true spirit of creativity. Free Cake, however, was funny, edgy, and kept the laughs moving forward as they used spontaneous creativity, rather than getting crass to get cheap laughs. If they are ever on stage at the PIT, go check them out. Here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/freecakeimprov?fref=ts

Visited April 2013

New York, NY
11 attraction reviews
“Great entertainment at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

It's so hard to find reasonably priced entertainment in NY. The PIT was a great find, saw Political Subversities for $11. The group is young, has clever sketches and it's just a delight. As a bonus, they had other groups performing briefly who were also great. Awesome singing also. Will definitely come again to enjoy the talent and creativity.

Visited April 2013
Ridgewood, New Jersey, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Cool place, but GLOC wasn't funny”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Last night was my first visit to the Pit. When I arrived, I was told that there were two shows that were about to start. One was stand up comedy, while the other was supposed to be a mix of stand up, sketch, and improve (according to the very nice woman who sold me the ticket). I went with the latter, which was called GLOC (gorgeous ladies of comedy). As it turned out, GLOC was just stand up, and the women were somewhat entertaining but not funny. They had a male comic join the show, and he was hilarious. He made it worth it. The singing comics weren't overly funny, but they were amusing.

The price was great. I think we only paid $8, and the downstairs stand up show was only $5 . Although I didn't find the show to be that funny, I would definitely come back based on the price, the bar, and the overall vibe of the place. In the few minutes that we hung out at the bar, I overheard a conversation between a couple young actors/comics who gave me an appreciation of what the place meant to them. I got the impression that the place is a funky little place that gives a lot of young people the opportunity to learn about improv/comedy (they offer classes) and be creative. I'd like to support that, so I'll be back.

Carlisle, Massachusetts
47 attraction reviews
“Amazing shows and customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I brought a group of over a dozen teenagers to two evening shows. Most (adult) customers gather in the loud, lively bar on the ground floor, but there is great diner/hamburger/milkshake place right around the corner for younger groups. This place is less than 2 blocks from the Subway, and easy to find at night due to the red neon lights around the entrance.
Grat Organization
We corresponded with the PIT staff by email, and they arranged for a reduced group rate for shows at 8pm and 9:30pm, AND let the performers know about the younger age of the audience, so the shows were both hilarious and not too rated-R (although still consistently hilarious, and with nuanced humor that the adults got, but went over the heads of the younger students). We saw Nobody's Token, North Coast, and Hello - all three groups incorporated music and sound effects seamlessly into their improvised performances, and were the highlight of our trip.
I hope they keep up the excellent work - I just wish I could bring my students back to take their regular classes.

Visited February 2012
Lemmon, SD
“Funny, smart, quick and unique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Been to New York a lot. I've been to Broadway. I've been to Caroline's. Based on the suggestion of a friend, my wife and I ventured downtown to check out the The People's Improv Theater Caught "Political Subversities" for $15. The $15 also got me a free drink-- can't complain about that.

I also can't complain that I sat in a theater for 1 hour laughing my [--] off, and then ended up spending the rest of the night thinking about the issues they talk about in the show. Thrilled I went.

I saw Book of Mormon on Broadway the next night. Similar senses of humor. Definitely a show worth checking out... if you're not too easily offended!

I also stuck around after Political Subversities to see "Gentlemen Party" which was an improv group featuring 4 young college guys. Funny, quick stuff.

Visited February 2012