“A small space but good sushi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jewel Bako

Jewel Bako
239 East Fifth Street, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)
+1 2129791012
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jewel Bako is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,342 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 2nd Ave. & 3rd Ave.
Transit: 6 Train to Astor Place
Tokyo
“A small space but good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My friend took me there and I had good sushi. Unfortunately, free sample wasn't good at all, but Omakase was excellent. Fair price for what I had. Probably the same price I have to pay if I have the same quality sushi in Tokyo.
I guess one negative point is this place is small and doesn't have enough space for tables. And I wish they have more selections of drink menu.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“A truly vulgar owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I’ve been coming here on and off for a couple of years. During the latest visit noticed that all – and I mean all – wait staff has changed. As always, asked for freshly ground wasabi. The wait staff disappeared, later one came back and ground a minuscule amount, followed by a visit from the owner with his ridiculous hairdo who lectured me, saying – if you ask for more, I will have to charge you, it cost me $50 per stem (size of a large carrot). There were four of us at the table (wife and two daughters), and everyone commented on how no-class he was. I mean, charge me if you like, but do not come to lecture the table.

Visited December 2013
New York
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Ordered Omakase. It was excellent experience. We got around 12 different seafood (fish+shellfish) with different presentation (+ TASTE). The service is superb, our server filled drink & clean up every single spot. We will come back definitely.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“So not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was expecting so much from this place and left so disappointed!

SPACE: When empty, the space is warm and inviting, but quickly becomes suffocating when the place fills up. We were crammed together in the right half of the restaurant, while there were plenty of open tables in the left half. The noise level was fine.

SERVICE: After just being seated, we were asked 3 times by 3 different people - literally within the span of one minute - if we wanted to order drinks. There were so many people involved with our table that the service just felt haphazard and clumsy.

FOOD: We ordered the mushrooms, two rolls and the sushi sampler. The amuse-bouche was nice and the miso soup might be the best I've ever had. The meal went quickly downhill from there. The mushrooms en papillote were good, not great, and should not have been allowed to stand on their own as an appetizer. They were skimpy and I felt incredibly ripped off by the $9 price tag.

The rolls - one scallops and one crab meat - were both fine, but I think the server should have advised us to only order one. I commented to my dining companion that after awhile they had a certain sameness that made me bored eating them. The sushi sampler was fine, but again, forgettable. I've had the same quality at those dime-a-dozen Japanese places run by Chinese. And adding insult to injury, the bottle of Chardonnay (from Ardeche) completely lacked depth.

OVERALL: This restaurant is further proof that the Michelin stars (it has one) mean nothing.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Excellent sushi & sashimi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went here as a group of four adults & two teenagers. Service was consistently swift but unobtrusive. Menu is very straightforward - sushi/sashimi by-the-piece or the choice of a few sets.

The sets are (as usual) better value than the individual pieces, but this place is by most measures pretty expensive. I think we spent $600 for six of us on food plus a few beers.

The toro was exceptional.

• Visited October 2013