“Nice Tryp to NY” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brussels, Belgium
“Nice Tryp to NY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South is well-situated, not far from metro station and Times square. The hotel is recent and well-designed. The rooms are modern and the layout is well thought out. The rooms were clean and quiet. The reception area is small but cosy and it also serves as the breakfast buffet and restaurant. Breakfast is very nice with a variety of quality products. The restaurant offers a modest selection of tasty american favourites. Staff was nice and efficient. All in all I would recommend this hotel to couples or families visiting New York in search of a good quality hotel for the right budget.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have better views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your kind comments and recommendation, and we really look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed here recently for a short break in New York, and loved this hotel. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a "premium" room, which was a massive suite, including a lounge area, two bathrooms, two double beds, and TV's in both the bedroom and the lounge. it was really luxurious, with really comfortable beds. It made our trip so special! Also appreciated having a coffee machine in the room. There was a lot of storage space provided as well, which was useful.

The only downside was the aircon - we found even with it on the highest temperature we were slightly cold.

The location was great, right next to Madison Square Garden, and a short walk to Time Square.

The staff were so helpful and friendly. I would recommend booking a car to the airport with them.

Would definitely recommend this hotel, and would stay there again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your kind comments, and we really look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Woodbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Hotel and staff were friendly. My family and I went in early Dec 2013. Disappointed they run out of hot chocolate early in the evening and do not replenish it. Hotel location was very convenient. Hotel staff forgot to wake us up to catch the airport limo.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We appreciate your feedback. I sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. Your comments have been shared with our management and team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

stayed here for our daughters 18th birthday,(4 nights) upon arrival very helpful staff.when we went up to our rooms there was a bottle of wine,fruit and a birthday card a very nice touch indeed.If you want anything just see the doorman John he is very frendly and helpful. on our return John arranged for a limo to drive us to the airport on our return journey. Very lovely ending to our holiday.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always great to hear when the John does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with him. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

Six months ago I wrote a very positive review for the TRYP hotel. Because I had a nice stay, I booked again at this hotel. Unfortunately in only six months the services and quality have declined significantly.
Book this hotel because it is conveniently situated near the Javits Center. There are pod-style coffee makers in the rooms which make...for hotels a pretty decent cup of coffee. It was tricky to get the pot to operate. Why? There are not enough electrical outlets to accommodate the flat screen TV, the desk lamp and the coffee maker. I had to crawl under the desk to unplug the lamp (which I didn't need) so I could use the coffee maker. The other option would have been to remove the coffee maker and put it on the floor near another outlet.
I stayed at the hotel this trip for six nights. Last time I was at the hotel I was provided drinking water (bottles) upon check in and as needed during the trip. This was a nice perk. When I checked in, I was told there would be only two bottles in the room when I checked in and if I wanted any more provided it would be $3/bottle. These are the small plastic bottle size. The only reason I was told this was because on check in, I mentioned liking the water benefit. (In other words, at check in I was told this perk was being taken away.) When I went up to my room there was only one bottle, no sign about the $3 fee or coffee cups. I needed to request my due from the front desk.
The decor in the rooms is pleasant. Wood floors seem cleaner than carpet that is found in other hotels. Unfortunately the rooms are starting to wear a bit. The shower guard was coming off the door so, the "walk in" shower door didn't close well. (No bathtubs if this is something you desire.) The showers are equipped with a "rain" head which provide adequate water pressure...but it's not great. The water was warm-hot every day. I could not get very hot water which is important to me. I must have had very hot water on my last trip...because this is something I'm very conscious of. There are canisters in the shower for shampoo, conditioner & body wash. ( saves plastic & environmentally conscious.) However, I like to use soap. I was only provided one bar on the sink. So, even when I took it inside the shower and had to take it out when I used the sink...I was never provided a second bar during my six days. Shower caps are not provided. Many hotels do not provide them. I brought my own and on the third day the housekeeper threw it away. Thankfully. I had a second one that survived the balance of my stay. I was provided one tiny bottle of body lotion. When it was basically gone (and you KNOW it is tough to get lotion out of those little bottles) I was never given a second bottle. On my last day I returned to the room and the toilet paper was removed. Yes, there was a roll under the sink.
Mattress firm which I like. The pillows are thick and hard. No choice of pillows. The ones they provide look nice on the bed and are good to sit up against. But they are not the type of pillows I find easy to sleep with. I'm afraid the last two hotels I stayed at spoiled me with a choice of pillows.
The cable TV was not working one morning I was there. There is a safe in the closet. The hotel provides free Wi-fi which is good selling point, for sure. Newspapers not provided at room. On only one morning I found a couple of USA Today's in the lobby for the taking. I leave room tips during my stay...not at the end of my stay. This way I know the weekend maid and weekday maid both get something. On one day, I wrote a note saying thank you and could I get a pen. I did not receive the pen. The hotel is clearly trying to save on amenities. But when a room costs over $200/night, you expect soap etc.
The rooms are basically quiet. However, I now know if you do have noisy neighbors, you can here them. I'm not sure if this is because I was in one of those rooms with the adjoining door if you decide to use it. One afternoon, I came home after work and heard my neighbors having sex. Haha. I was jealous :)!
I don't think I would go out of my way to stay here again and/or recommend it strongly on trip advisor or to my trade show colleagues.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 212-600-2440, or belie@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back at the Wyndham Times Square South.

Ben Elie– Guest Services Manager
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

What to Love:
1. Super convenient place to stay for events at Madison Square Garden.

2. Beautiful hard wood floors.

3. Fantastic bathroom (good and very flattering lighting) and shower (non-slip floor, great light, rain shower-head plus removable shower-head, plenty of grab bars, wonderful wall-mounted dispensers of Zero shampoo, conditioner and shower gel). I loved the products so much I bought some online the next day!!

4. All the staff were great! I especially remember, Zahir, the Bellman, who was so kind and friendly, always there ready to help everyone. He even ran down the block to get me a taxi when it was raining and very slippery out.

What to know:
1. There are no refrigerators in the rooms.

2. The Tapas Restaurant in the lobby has a tempting menu....but the food was not very good : (

3. Air-conditioning/heating unit was not silent (but not a problem for me....slept great in the comfy bed!!)

4. I am already booked there for my next trip to NYC. See you soon!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always great to hear when the Zahir does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with him. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!

Been to TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South? Share your experiences!