“Disappointing hotel, lacking customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #61 of 446 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Disappointing hotel, lacking customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I unexpectedly had time to check into the hotel before an afternoon business meeting so I thought I'd give it a try. When I arrived, I asked if my room was ready and was told that I had been upgraded to a family room but that unfortunately it was not ready. Since I had arrived before the check-in time and because I had been upgraded, I didn't mind them telling me that. They said they could check me into the room now and hold my bag until I returned later that evening. When I returned, I went to the registration desk and was provided my key and was told they would send up my luggage. I got to my room and looked around. It wasn't large, though it was clean. I called downstairs and asked if it was a family room and was told that it was not. I told the desk staff that I had been informed when I checked in earlier that afternoon that I had been upgraded to a family room. She did not know what to say or do, at first putting me on hold, and then telling me her manager wasn't available at the moment, but would call me back. I didn't want to mess up the room if I was going to be moved to a new room so I laid down on the bed and waited. About an hour later, I realized that my luggage had not been brought up, so I called downstairs to inquire. I was told it would be brought up immediately. A few moments later, there was a knock at the door, and I was handed my luggage and given an apology for the delay. At that point, I figured the manager wasn't going to call me back so i unpacked. I had originally planned to go down to the bar and maybe have a beer if they had good ones on tap. But was so tired by that point, I just went to sleep. In the morning, I had breakfast at the hotel, which was ok. Glad I skipped the bar the night before, because they didn't have an IPA on draft. The hotel was not worth what I paid for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 212-600-2440, or Kimiller@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back at the Wyndham Times Square South.

Kiana Miller – Assistant Guest Services Manager

1,562 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Pretty great except for our very loud neighbor. Or the walls were thin, but she was the only noise we heard, but we had no other neighbor so hard to judge. Otherwise had everything we were looking for. Clean comfortable, great location, in room safe, wood floors, comfortable bed. A little too close to times sq for our taste but very central and no street noise in room. Most of the staff were very nice. Free wifi. And great price on Hotwire. Utterly pleasant. Nice lobby bar and lounge area if you care. Would stay again.

Room Tip: For quiet, try for a corner on upper floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments, and we really look forward to seeing you again in the future.Thank you for choosing the TRYP Times Square South. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments, and we really look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Outstanding value! VERY CLEAN, and beautiful! We loved staying here. The rooms are smaller than I expected......but honestly, we were only there to sleep, shower or change clothes. There were 3 of us, it was fine. We loved the simplicity of the decor. We did not try the bar or food........but our room was a GREAT! What a nice surprise!!!! Close to subway too! THANK YOU TRYP for a great vacation. (Our first time in NYC)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
What an outstanding review! We loved having you as our guest, and all of us had a great time making sure your experience was the very best. Your comments really make all of us here at the TRYP Times Square South glow with pride! Take care, and we hope to see you again soon!
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After reviewing a lot of hotels in the Times Square, manhattan area, we decided on Tryp and were pleased. Most hotels in this area could not accomadations two adults and two kids in the same room without renting a huge (expensive) suite or without two rooms. We were about a 15 min walk to most broadway plays and time square, a 15min walk to the Empire State Building and a 35 minute walk to Central Park. Penn station was 5 minutes and most subway exits were within minutes of the hotel.
Our room was the Samsung experience with bunk beds and a king. The room was quiet except for a few slamming doors and the weight room next door, but NO traffic noise.. They offer a 3d tv but with only one pair of glasses this was useless after a day on the town. Also the remotes were confusing (i consider myself tech savvy) and the sound bar was not working. Also no HBO as advertised. although we didn't have a lot of time in the hotel room, it was a little annoying trying to unwind after a hard day of sightseeing. The room had a safe and a refridgerator which saved a little on drinks. Hell's Kitchen was about six blocks away, lots to eat.
The staff were extremely friendly and I would definitely stay there again.

houston, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel is attractive with nice amenities, good mattresses and HDTV (a few channels). 1/2 block from subway station is a big plus. Staff is generally pretty good, but some employees need a little more training. One example: I had a do not disturb sign on my door all day and they came in anyway (while I was gone) and cleaned the room. DUH! That sign means stay out!
I do want to give a shout- out to one particularly HELPFUL employee named ZAHIR. He bent over backwards to be helpful in any number of ways. All in all, it was worth the price I paid and I would stay again...for the right price (always price shop in NYC--lots of competition).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Sedgefield, County Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

First time stay in New York and this hotel is ideally located for everything in New York. Hotel is clean and staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. We stayed on the seventh floor and the room was a good size with very nice fittings. The bed was extremely comfortable. We were in NY for three nights and we made the most of it by buying a Grey Line 2 day bus pass for $110 for the two of us. There are five routes across NY and you can hop on and off wherever you wish. Also took in a show "Jersey Boys" which was excellent. Discount tickets available at the tickets stand in Times Square. Would return to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have stayed in probably close 20 hotels in NYC but never with all 3 of our children. This summer we were called to the City on business for an extended amount of time so we arranged to rent an apartment. Unfortunately at the last minute, our place fell through, leaving us searching not only for a hotel large enough to accommodate 5 people but also all our STUFF (bags, luggage, housing supplies, etc). We booked a week at the TRYP Hotel based on the number of beds alone (2 bunk beds, 2 queen beds and a full size sleeper sofa). When I walked into our room, I was in complete awe. The size of the room alone literally blew my mind. HUGE by any city's standards, much less NYC! Refrigerator, 2 sinks, Keurig coffee pot, dining table, 2 large flat screen tvs, luxurious double rainfall shower heads (I need that in my own bathroom at home!), comfy bedding, tons of cabinets, drawers and counter space! SO much extra floor space I had to ask my daughters to stop dancing around in case it was bothering the guests downstairs! We were able to store all our items in the room without having to sacrifice living space.
When we first arrived around 6:30pm, we arrived in a rented SUV that needed to be parked overnight so it could be returned in the morning. The very first person we met at TRYP was Zahir. He met us at the curb and helped us unpack an entire SUV full of stuff. Then, he insisted on helping us avoid the $53 overnight parking fee by getting us a spot on the street, as long as it was gone before 7am (which was no problem at all). Amazingly kind gesture. From that point on Zahir was always available to help us with anything. Our children couldn't wait to see him every afternoon...he always made us feel at home up until our last day when he arranged for Sprites to be brought to our table while we waited to check out. Shayla (at the front desk) was also super friendly and accommodating as was Danny. In fact, there wasn't anyone we came in contact with who was less than over-the-top kind, generous, warm and welcoming.
On our last day, we discovered the gorgeous rooftop terrace on the 15th floor...somehow we missed that cool amenity. The Gasto Bar downstairs offers a fun, funky vibe of tapas and cocktails during the day and a delicious breakfast every morning. Just the presentation of the food alone is impressive. Everything is very well thought out and aesthetically pleasing...its the kind of vibe that makes you think about how you could replicate it in your own home!
We always feel safe in NYC but this location feels especially secure, as it is next door to a police station and there is a large police presence on the street.
If we could have arranged it, we would have just stayed at TRYP for the entire 2 months we are in NYC this summer and we are so thankful to know we have a great place to stay as a family on all our future trips to the Big Apple. We intend to stop in and say hello to all our new friends at TRYP on a regular basis while we are in town.

Room Tip: Rooms away from east side of building (especially on the third floor) are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing review! All of us here at TRYP Times Square South Hotel have a passion for delivering amazing service, so your comments really make our day! It sounds like you had a perfect hotel experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more stays in the future. Thanks again, and take care!

Been to TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South? Share your experiences!