“Thank you for the fantastic TRYP!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #78 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, GA
“Thank you for the fantastic TRYP!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

As part of a recent 4-month work engagement, I stayed at the TRYP hotel and saw nearly every aspect of its operations including the events during Hurricane Sandy - and the entire experience was highly enjoyable. Ricki, Channel, Shayla, Engel, and the entire staff were pleasant, exceedingly helpful, and always willing to engage in friendly conversation between guest arrivals and requests.

Service was very good, not only to their guests but also their neighbors. During Hurricane Sandy they were fortunate to keep power, so they remained in operation throughout the storm. Afterwards, they brought in local families and helped them while they began the process of restoring their homes and lives, providing temporary shelter and food where needed.

And their location is spectacular! On the west side of mid-town Manhattan they are just around the corner from Madison Square Garden and just a few blocks down from Time Square. Centrally located to everything, this is definitely a great hotel for business and casual travelers alike.

Great job, TRYP – I really enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: If you like the sounds of the city, ask for the front part of the building. If you prefer it a litt...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ben E, Manager at TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always wonderful to hear when the staff does a wonderful job, especially during some of the most difficult of times such as Hurricane Sandy. I look forward to sharing your comments with them as they will be ecstatic. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!

1,831 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Turkish first
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stayed all over the world at hotels and this is a new find that merits five stars. The price online is excellent especially if you include the buffet breakfast for 2 each day. The location is ideal for those going to the theater, touring NYC or attending meetings (I was there for al three). The best room rate was right on the Wyndham website. It is a small new hotel so reserve early. My room was a premium room, 1001, with two full baths with fluffy new towels, high-end toiletries, an assortment of travel kits, bathrobes, slippers, a huge king size bed with great linens, a coffee maker with coffee capsules, and a fridge and safe for anything you need to store. The tv was HD new and large. The view from that room of the Hudson River was great which was unexpected and made the room even larger and bright. I should be careful not to say too many great things because I think the hotel is underpriced if you consider comparables in terms of location, amenities, a new building, and the service. I must speak of a gentleman Zahir who appeared to be the door man, bellman, and overall Tryp ambassador. I noticed him when he was helping some guests with their luggage and he came into my elevator. He was charming, polite, professional, and his love for helping others clearly came through. Later I noticed that the elevators should be vacuumed and to my surprise, Zahir appeared with a vacuum to ensure that with all the hotel traffic, that the elevators and lobby area remained clean and tidy. If I owned a hotel I'd offer him a job. Sme people are clearly in the right position for their personality and this is what I saw in Zahir. Tryp management should recognize that and ensure he stays. Truly worth the kudos. Even when I returned to the hotel after a day out in the city, he smiled, welcomed me back, and kindly asked if everything was OK. Amazing. I arrived at the Tryp on Friday and leave Tuesday. Today is Monday and I wanted to wait to write my review until I had really experienced all elements of a hotel stay. The one minor inconvenience is that the ice machine is in the gym by the lobby and when I arrived ate Friday, I had to call the desk to ask for help finding the ice machine. Reception should inform guests, especially those who check in late, that the ice machine is in the gym.in the lobby floor so that the guest either picks up ice en route to the room or does not undress and then walk the halls in search of ice. Minor though. I also thought the breakfast selection was awesome but it did not change so after three days it was uneventful. The eggs were dry but again, minor. The breads, however, we're deliciously fresh as we're the pancakes and bacon. I also liked that the orange juice tasted like orange juice and the yogurt.options were varied. I think I have a new favorite hotel in NYC. The concept of the Tryp is like the "W" for a better price. I hope Tryp considers new locations in the U.S. The only Tryp appears to be in NYC.

Room Tip: The Premium rooms at the Tryp are really Premium. If it costs a little more, splurge. Having two fu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of our Team Member Zahir!. It is always wonderful to hear when the staff does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with Zahir, I'm sure he will be ecstatic. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
Rensselaer, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

In town overnight for a concert at Madison Square Garden...just a short 3 or 4 block walk...also walked in 15 minutes to Time Square, too. Highly recommend...very friendly and helpful staff, clean & modern room and bathroom, comfortable bed, free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are very happy that our excellent staff was able to provide such great service during your stay! It also sounds like you took full advantage of our prime location and had a lovely time in New York City. We hope that you will come back and visit us again at the beautiful TRYP Times Square South Hotel!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great location, clean, and funky boutique-style hotel with great service! In NYC, you sometimes don't know what you're going to get unless you're paying A LOT, but at a great priece, you still get it all. highly reccomend it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Short, sweet, and wonderful! Thank you so much for your review and recommendation! We look forward to seeing you again! Take care!
Milford CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just returned from my overnight stay and couldn't be more pleased. I frequently visit NYC and stay overnight and TRYP was exceptional. The rooms are spacious, the staff was more than helpful and the room, bathrooms, etc were squeaky clean. The beds were so comfortable. I was attending an event at Madison Square Garden which is 2 blocks away. We had a standard room with 2 queen beds; no problem with the heat (very comfortable); keurig coffee maker in the room. Subway entrance on the corner. I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to express our heartily thanks for your comments. We are pleased to know that you had a fantastic time with us and that we have exceeded your expectations. We’re pleased that you choose the TRYP Times Square South, and we look forward to the opportunity and the pleasure of serving you once again in the near future.
Recife, PE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have a preferred hotel brand while visiting New York but I found this hotel with a great rate and looked up on tripadvisor and it had nice reviews so I decided to give a shot.

And I was amazed surprised. The hotel is just great.

The hotel is quite new, functional and modern. The room they gave me was huge, by any standards. There are 4 elevators serving each floor so I never had to wait more than 2 minutes, even staying in the 14th floor.

As I said, the room I stayed was huge, with plenty of space for luggage. Very comfortable bed (king size) and pillows. Large bathroom with a walk in shower. By the way, great shower with plenty of hot water. Nice toiletries too. Cabinets, working desk, mini fridge, Keurig coffee machine and a large TV set are part of the deal.
The wooden floor was something new in a hotel room for me and I like it a lot. The room had lots of windows so during the day it was well illuminated, giving a comfy feeling.
All the staff were very nice and helpful. I asked Gabriela, the cleaning lady, for more coffee capsules for the Keurig Machine and since then I never ran without coffee in the room.
Other positive thing is the fast check in and checkout process. The last thing you need after a long flight is a long check in and when I arrived I just had to show my id, swipe my credit card and done. The checkout can be done in room, using the guest services menu in the TV.

The location is not really my cup of tea but I can't complain. Lots of transportation options with a ACE subway station in the w35st with 8th. Also Penn station is in a block away so if you are coming from Newark and will use the train to reach Manhattan you will find yourself close to the hotel. Besides all the other lines that serves 34St/Penn you have Herald Square 3 blocks away. Great location for shopping, with Macy's and B&H Photo at close distance.

One interesting thing is the hotel bar and restaurant. Since it is a hype tapas restaurant the crowd in there is a mix of guests and people from the city so it don't have that usual depressing look you find in regular hotels bar, instead, lots of people really enjoying being there. Good food and drink too.
I didn't had breakfast in the hotel but there are lot of options nearby.

My only complain about the hotel is that I felt the room a bit cold. Even setting the thermostat for higher temperatures the room was never higher than 72F (about 21C).

But I will recommend this hotel for friends and family.

Room Tip: I stayed on 1401 and it was very quiet, not with a great view but fine and lots of windows. I recomm...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments and feedback. We are pleased that your stay was a comfortable, welcoming one. We strive to be a "home away from home" to all of our guests. Our hotel prides itself on excellent service and I have shared your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Thank you again we look forward to welcoming you back to TRYP Times Square South.
rockville, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed one night on business not long after they opened (spring of 2012). Got a suite-sized room for a rate that would give you a tiny little room at other hotels. The room was just HUGE. As in two bathrooms(!?), one with a walk-in shower, a bar/lounge area with a couch and chairs, and a hallway back to the queen beds that were surrounded by windows on two sides. I didn't ask for all this, so maybe I got a free upgrade because they were full? The other rooms on my floor appeared to be just as big. Either way, if you need SPACE, this room had it. The whole vibe of the hotel was very trendy, perhaps a little cheesy or over-the-top, but the surfaces and fixtures were all upgraded and of a high quality. Being almost new the place felt spotless, but YMMV by now. The beds and linens were very good and very comfortable. I didn't try the bar or the breakfast (not included), but the food smelled good enough when I walked by. Good walking-distance access to TImes Square and Jacob Javits.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review & recommendation. We do try to offer our guests upgrades when we can to show our appreciation. We're glad know that you enjoyed your stay with us & look forward to serving you again. Just a bit of advice....next time...try our restaurant. The food tastes as good as it smells!

Been to TRYP by Wyndham Times Square South? Share your experiences!