“Spider-Man, oh man! What a GREAT show!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark
213 W 42nd St, Foxwoods Theatre, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)
Website
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Mineola, New York, United States
“Spider-Man, oh man! What a GREAT show!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Other reviews have been favorable with little negative press so, it was safe to say that, being a huge comic book and Spider-Man fan, that I expected to like the show. I didn't, however, expect to LOVE the show! It was fantastic! We had 5th row seats which were great but, the aerial choreography and staging makes every seat in the theater a front row seat. The humor, stage set and props really kept with the comic book/cartoon theme. The music is catchy and you will leave the theater singing “Rise Above” in your head, I can almost guarantee that much. The absolute best part about this show is, by far, the cast. The cast is armed and fabulous with amazing voices, believable acting and, most importantly, chemistry with each other! And, not to mention, you have to give major props for their high flying/dangling stunts. I mean, flying from center stage to the upper balcony is no easy task. All in all, this is a must see for all ages! I, definitely, thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Haddon Heights, New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
“More than a super hero show!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Spider-Man:Turn Off the Dark is one of the best broadway shows I have seen in a while, and I go to broadway pretty often. I suggest sitting in the "flying circle" when you book your tickets and you will really enjoy the action that occurs in the air. This show is excellent for all ages and both male and female audiences. I took my husband to see this show as a father's day present and he and I both really enjoyed every moment of it! The music was enjoyable as well as the action. There are a few slow parts where Spiderman and his girl get cozy and small kids may get bored for a few minutes, but for the most part it is really great!!! If you have really young kids, I would suggest seeing Matilda on broadway....that show was really great as well!!

London, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
“Brilliant stunts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My Husband is a huge comic book fan so this show was really for him, saying that I really enjoyed it! The music was ok, but the lead guy was brilliant, the story is the standard spider man so its easy to follow, but its really all about the effects as thats what makes the show and it really is impressive. A definate must see for any comic fans.

Bordeaux, France
4 attraction reviews
“Spidey!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

It wasn't a usual broadway show but very entertaining. My children loved it. Very animated but I do not think it fits the broadway. But something to see for a change.

Visited May 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Entertaining - great staging and stunts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went to this show on a recent trip to NYC with our 11-year-old son. We were looking for a show on Broadway that was age appropriate and this definitely fit the bill. We took advantage of a Kids Free night on a Wednesday evening, which helped on the cost of the tickets. We sat in the front box on the right side (first balcony level) and we were so pleased with the choice, as we could see everything and were at eye-level with all of the arial stunts. Whereas people in the front orchestra section had to crane their necks around to watch Spiderman fly around the theater, we had a great view and he even flew right by us several times. That totally thrilled my son.

It's true that the story line, music and lyrics are not as strong as other shows on Broadway. The acting by the leads was ok, but the Green Goblin was great. The staging, set design, and stunt work is awesome. Bono and The Edge from U2 composed the music, and you could hear echoes of their usual work in some of the songs. There were even nods to them in some of the script and other music cues.

My son was surprised at how much he enjoyed it. If you have kids who like superheroes, they'll enjoy the stunt sequences, but may be bored with some of the ballads. It may be too long for some younger children. We'd definitely recommend the box seats on either balcony level. These were less expensive than the "flying circle" seats, and even though Spiderman didn't land right in front of us, we had enough close fly-by's that we didn't feel it would be worth the extra cost to upgrade the seats.