“It's a funfhouse” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riverside Studios

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riverside Studios to your Saves list
Hotel Riverside Studios
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   342 West 71st Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #424 of 451 hotels in New York City
Athens, Ga
“It's a funfhouse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My sister and I booked here through a discount website. We knew the neighborhood and wanted a safe and quiet quarter. The hotel was some weird low income rental village where people in duct tape shoes meet European tourists. We booked for three nights but checked out after one. The desk clerk did not ask any questions, just laughed.That there was no heat or blankets was not even a factor. Unless you're scouting a site in which to shoot a horror film stay somewhere else

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

After reading that short term renting is a thing of the past I find myself with conflicting feelings. I stayed there many years ago the summer after 9-11. The place was a dive but all I did was sleep and store my stuff. I did several loads of washing in the basement and talked with several residents about the building and living in NY. It was great. Being so close to Lincoln Center and Central Park and the Subway was great. But I guess it will never happen again. Real Mixed feelings.

Room Tip: Never again I guess. Again it was the Summer after 9-11
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Location: The location is great. It's just a few minutes to the 72nd street subway, The Dakota where Lennon was shot, Central Park and Strawberry Fields. The neighborhood is very residential and in a no-honk zone which makes it quiet. This is about the only good thing about the hotel

Hotel: The hotel can't even really be called a hotel. It's a youth hostel without an age restriction. In each room you get a bed, a small TV a mirror and a sink. That's it! You have to leave a deposit at the front desk for sheets and they are not the cleanest in the world. The bathrooms are shared. Each bathroom has a toilet and a shower. Imagine how long it takes for you to wait to do your business in the morning! The lifts are ancient and slow. The front desk could really care less about you being there.

The only reason we booked this hotel was because we needed to get to New York on the cheap for my wife to audition for the show Project Runway. There was some other even going on at the time and hotel prices were 3X what they usually go for. For $100 a night, we weren't expecting much. I think that I would have felt ripped off at $20.

Stay away...stay FAR FAR away!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I had a chance to stay 1 night in Hotel Riverside Studios and I know it was my last visit at this hotel. The interior of the building is very old fashioned and I would recommend you to go through the dark corridors to your room only if you want to feel like in a horror movie. There are shared toilets as well as dirty bathrooms. Maybe it could be a good hotel for drunk people returning from the pub, who don't care about where they will sleep in next 5 hours. On the other side, the courtyard view rooms are quiet.

Room Tip: Try it, but be sure you don't want to spent a romantic weekend in New York.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Escondido, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I guess this is not technically a review, but wanted to give everyone a heads up. The times my family and I have traveled to NYC (plenty of times) we have stayed at hotel Riverside Studios. It was not a fancy hotel AT ALL...but it suited our needs. The room was always decent (clean sheets, mini fridge, bathroom) although we did have to share a bathroom with other tenants. Fortunately, we did not experience anything extremely horrible that other visitors did. It was a good place to crash at night. Anyway, I was planning another trip out there and was trying to book a room at this place but saw that all of their dates were booked online. So, I decided to call and see if I could book a room. The person who answered the phone told me that they were no longer allowed to rent out their rooms since they got in trouble with the city of New York. I guess this ties in with the police officer story that someone shared on this page a while ago. I am sure many people will be happy that this place has closed its doors to the traveling public; I, on the other hand, am bummed out. It was the cheapest hotel (in a nice area), I could find in Manhattan, close to everything. Now I have to go find another hotel that is inexpensive, where I don't have to share a room with complete strangers (like in a hostel), Anywho, just wanted to make sure I tell people in case someone was thinking about booking a room at this place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I wanted somewhere to stay in Manhattan that was cheap but close to everything. This place is perfect for that! It's not a Hilton...but the room felt as cozy as any other hotel. The building is old and seems to be mostly all original so it looks a lil run-down....but personally I like the old rustic look/feel. The room was CLEAN and the sheets smelled and felt fresh, the room had a bed, fridge, sink, table, bed and TV....bathrooms are shared with others on the floor (but you use it privately - meaning not a locker room bathroom). The location is awesome - 2 blocks from subway station, few blocks from central park, quiet and NICE neighborhood. If you're travelling to NYC to be out of your room for most of your stay then this place is great!!!! If you're looking for a romantic-stay in your hotel room alot type of get-away...then this is the wrong place to stay. NOTE: this building was built as a luxury hotel in the 30's and went through a phase where it was "single occupancy apartments" and still serves as apartments for some people who have lived there 20-30 years.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

we arrived in NY expecting alot, we got alot! the showers had hair i them, we had food under the bed, and the long dirty hallways felt like we were walking in a horror movie. we never saw any staff other than the grumpy receptionist.
... interesting, yes

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riverside Studios? Share your experiences!