“Not for the Faint Hearted but Will Definitely Stay There Again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riverside Studios

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riverside Studios to your Saves list
Hotel Riverside Studios
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   342 West 71st Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #424 of 451 hotels in New York City
Escondido, California
“Not for the Faint Hearted but Will Definitely Stay There Again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Is it a 4 or 5 star hotel?....No, it is not; however, it is in a nice residential area and close to CVS, Duane Read Pharmacy, Cafe 71, Starbucks, Subway (restaurant and train), Grays Papaya, McDonald's, Riverside Park, and Broadway, and a few blocks away from Central Park. My family and I stayed for 5 nights, walked everywhere and never felt unsafe. It suited our needs perfectly and paid under $100 bucks a night! We were in the city to sightsee and not to stay at our hotel all day. We had an issue with our first room but the hotel clerk was friendly and courteous, they switched us to another room right away with no problem. The bathroom, towels, linens are clean and smell like bleach...(I like that). If you are looking for a hotel were you can be spoiled, go swimming, and to the spa, this is definitely NOT the place for you. If you are in the city to have fun, sightsee, and not spend all of your money on a hotel stay, then this is the hotel for you. The front desk clerk was kind enough to call a cab for us and gave us a discount coupon for our ride back to the airport. I cannot wait to go back, my family and I miss NYC already. We will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Aalborg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Having just spent 8 nights there I'd like to chip in too.

We were a group of five people aged 32 to 71 staying at the Riverside Studios and enjoying our stay there. Excellent location for the price; reasonably clean room and bathrooms; plenty of hot water in the showers; no bed-bugs; large rooms with (clean) refrigerators; no odd smells. Fast and efficient reception desk. Beds made every day and rooms cleaned.

The place is run-down; paint is peeling off the bathtub and the sinks; you do have to learn your way around getting a comfortable temperature in the shower. The lifts are somewhat old (however only the very oldest among us used it; the rest liked the the exercise on the stairs).

We only entered the reception on the day of arrival and when departing since you don't have to pass right through it to get to your room, so cannot say anything about what kind of people usually hangs out there. None did when we spoke to the people there.

Nor can I rule out the possibility that it makes a difference whether you share your wing with Japanese/French/Canadian tourists like we did (apart from the nights where our group were the only ones there) - or share your wing with the other kind of clientele that some reviewers mention.

So the conclusion is: we all liked it and would go there again

I cannot rule out

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I'm a former NYC resident and I visit the NYC area fairly often. I stayed here twice: In January 2010 and January 2011. I paid under $50.00 both times and liked it better than the $50.00 to $60.00 rooms that I had been renting at Howard Johnsons in New Jersey (Clifton, Parsippany). The staff was much more courteous. They personally showed me to my room when I couldn't find it and helped me when I had trouble with my key, staying until they were sure I got it. No one looked down their noses at me like the staff at more than one Howard Johnson (I've been told that I can pass for late teens/early 20s), I didn't overhear any maids screaming at families with young children to hurry up and check out a good 10 to 15 minutes before they needed to and none of the staff came into my room and kicked my things under the bed. While I have seem hair in the bathroom and shower, I have never seen boogers, feces, blood or bedbugs. I will agree that the hotel and its rooms are a bit dingy and they definitely are not a nice as your average chain hotel room in New Jersey. However, this isn't New Jersey and it is not a chain. This is New York City and, for this price you get your own room (many NYC accommodations within in the same price range are bunk beds in dormitories) that is within walking distance of both a major subway line (stops include both Times Square and Penn Station, the former being a transfer point to Grand Central.) and Central Park. No either driving into NYC with its tolls and expensive parking or driving to a NJ Transit station, paying for a ticket (and possibly parking) and then having to keep your eye on the time because the NJ Transit stops running fairly early. And while I would ( and have) pay for a more expensive room if (and when) I had the money, the nicer places I stayed at had their issues as well, including an extremely confusing hallway system in a Days Inn (96th and Broadway) and a oddly positioned toilet in a Comfort Inn (Chelsea) that caused me to accidentally hit my head on the bathroom sink more than once (and, no, I had not been drinking). The same hotel room also had something in the air that made me feel sick. I blame the hotel because I always started to feel better once I'd been out of the hotel for an hour or two and always started to feel sick again within an hour of getting back. Symptoms never reappeared once I checked out of the hotel. Also, a lot of NYC hotels within that strata (comfort inn, holiday inn, days inn) are not quite as nice looking or spacious as their suburban counterparts because they're in old, converted buildings, something you might not see as often elsewhere. Bottom line, unless you're either willing to drop a good deal more money, use a large number of hotel points or stay in a less favorable location, this is what you will have to deal with if you want to stay in Manhattan. There's a reason Manhattan residents grumble about paying large sums of money for the privilege of living in box-like dwellings. It's not that different with most hotels.

Room Tip: Use travel sites, offseason prices are a lot lower
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My trip was for business and my girlfriend who traveled with me booked a room at this hotel without really looking into it. What a MISTAKE. When she made me aware that we didn't have our own bathroom in the room but would be using a "shared bathroom", I should have known this would be a disaster. But looking on the bright side of how cheap it was in a good location in NYC I decided we could grin and bear it. But I have never in my life experienced such a horrible stay in a hotel.
The place smelled so bad upon walking into the lobby. The guy at the desk could barely check us in because him and some bums that were hanging out there with him were hitting on us the entire time. Then we go through a series of hallways that look like they were from a horror film to get to the elevator, which looked like a door to a closet. Once inside the elevator, you can barely breathe it smelled so bad and you had to hold your breath.
There are people that live here apparently because the place used to be an apartment building, so some peiople still live here for around $50 a week. These people could be mistaken for homeless people though which was sad. But they had signs that made no sense taped to their doors, also flags and signs with obscene gestures and profane language on them!!!
The room was awful. Decor didnt match, was broken and stained, and looked like it came from salvation army. I SWORE the bed was wooden when I sat on it, it was so hard. There were dead bugs behind all the furniture. Outlets hanging out of walls. Only a sink in the room..so then we went to check out the shared bathroom.
Pubic hair everywhere. Feces on floor, on toilet, on walls, and near toilet paper holder. A sign was on the door saying "If you don't like the dirty bathroom CLEAN IT YOURSELF"!!!!!
My friend and I were so upset that we tried checking out, but would not only loose our money but everywhere else nearby was too expensive since most halfway decent places didn't have rooms. So we decided to deal with it.
Woke up in the morning with the worst back pain in my life thanks to the bed. I had bites on me that I assume were from bed bugs. Squatted when using toilet and showered in flip flops. The water kept going from ice cold to burning hot when showering. The people who stayed there kept banging on the bathroom door when you take a shower. The heat in the room didn't work.
I cant believe we made it out alive.
SPARE YOURSELF THIS NIGHTMARE and DONT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Honestly, I almost cancelled my trip to NYC when I read the reviews about the hotel. That would have been a big mistake since me and 4 of my friends spent a very nice - not to mentioned relatively cheap (!) - 3-day weekend in NYC in early March 2011, thanks to Riverside Studios Hotel.

The room is very faded, the paint is old, the carpet is teared up in the corner and the place is a bit noisy, BUT the room is large, clean, includes a fridg and a TV. You share the bathroom, but water pressure is very good and hot water is not a problem.

Seriously, I think it's hard to ask for more at that price... It cost us 20 $ each per nights (5 adults), all included! All this at a very walkable distance from Times Square and only a few blocks away from a subway station.

I surely recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget who's willing to cut-off a bit of comfort... Couples who are looking for a place to stay for a romantic weekend in NYC should look somewhere else though...!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

This is my second review, I felt the need to come back after my last one a year ago to defend this place yet again. Compared to a 4 or 5 star hotel in Times Square, yes this place is no where the niceness. But it is a hostel, and among the hostel circuit, this place is pretty decent. If you're traveling to NYC, you're probably not looking to lounge in the room all day and be pampered. This place is perfectly suited for a good night or two's rest. I've stayed here at least five times. I never have problems with bed bugs, my bed was never dirty, it's quiet, the room was never dirty, and the shared shower is what you'd expect. If someone has used it before you, the floors may still be wet, but it's not like it's portrayed on here. If you're even looking at Hotel Riverside, chances are you are on a budget. This place is just fine for the price. If you want luxury and a private bath, stay somewhere else. If you want a clean place to lay your head, a hot shower, a tv to see what's on the news, a fridge for your water and snacks, a nice front desk guy, and a very good neighborhood two blocks from shops, restaurants, and the subway, then stay here. I'm not management or anything, just a single traveler who always looks into Hotel Riverside Studios first because I like it, I'm not a hotel snob, and I'm on a budget. If I had $350 a night, sure I'd stay somewhere else. I have about $60 a night, and Hotel Riverside gives me all I need so that I can enjoy the city and have a place to rest. See it for yourself, you may like it. These bad reviews are from people who want 5 star on a 2 star budget. It's not that bad. Geez.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Hands down the worst hotel I have ever stayed in...I should have know from the beginning as there is no parking for this hotel on a dead end street.
As we entered the lobby and found our way to the elevator and eventually to our floor...as the door to the elevator opened to our floor it was written in black sharpie " 3rd Floor" as well as other graffiti....
As we entered the room (1) large burn mark from an Iron on the floor
(2) blood smears on the wall as well as a host of dirty hand prints (3) dried boogers on the wall (4) You share a community bathroom which had urine all over the floor and smelled.....I immediately asked for another room and was given one next door... I opened the door to see toenail clippings on the floor...hand prints and boogers on the walls and a broken heater that could not be turned off..I called the front desk but was told to open the window which already had masken tape on it & I was to open the window in Feb...I had to go to the front desk passing numerous roaches to get pliers and a crank to turn my own heat off as a paying customer...This Place was a FLOP house......We went to cleaner hotel in Jersey.....

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riverside Studios? Share your experiences!