“Nice But Expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #200 of 460 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Nice But Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed here for one night on a girls getaway. We had 3 rooms. All of the rooms were clean, the furnishings were nice and the rooms were adequately sized. But they were dark and the bathrooms were very small. And the price tag was quite hefty, even for the Broadway district. Not a great value, but a nice boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevator area, as it can be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Middlesboro, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My daughter & I stayed here for her first trip to NYC. She is hard to please! No complaints! Rooms are bigger than I expected. db Bistro Moderne in the hotel is very good. I would definitely stay heree again.

Room Tip: Great hotel if you want a small hotel with a perfect location near Times Sq.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 7 nights during May 2014. We originally booked a petite room, but the lovely young woman who booked us in upgraded us to a queen suite. It was absolutely beautiful, and though we only had a dark, somewhat dingy view of the back courtyard, this only ensured it was quiet during the night. We weren't there for the view, after all! The room was spacious and the bathroom was HUGE! Gorgeous bath and lovely toiletries, and the robes were very comfortable. The bed was comfy, the minibar had a great selection and the little touches like the umbrella and newspaper service was very cute. Not to mention the freshly baked cookies every day! They were delicious!

The staff were extremely friendly and polite (the same lovely woman who upgraded us complimented me on my hair and the flower accessory I was wearing, which was really sweet).

Fabulous location too, only a short walk from Times Square. We turned on Good Morning America every morning, and if there were any cool celebrities then we dashed down to see them leave! We even saw Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy!

Definitely recommended, and we would stay again should we return to New York. Thanks, City Club!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Be wary of the great reviews if you book through a hotel app. I used a hotel app on my phone to book this at the last minute for a two night stay. I booked based on the star rating, the reviews and the price. Apparently the deal wasn't really a deal. I opened the door to see a full size bed in a room half the size of my walk in closet. This room (on the 4th floor but apparently there is one on every floor) had an a/c unit that was so loud I might as well have been sleeping on the runway of JFK. The wallpaper was stained, the ceiling was crumbling, the two foot opening that the hotel may call a window looks out onto a brick wall and the a/c seemed to have two setting: meat locker and suffocating. If this is four star, the reviewer must have come out of a homeless shelter.

Shame on the front desk for not giving us any warning when we arrived. We most certainly would have upgraded or better yet, canceled given the choice but he claimed the only upgrade was $100 extra for a room with two full beds. We didn't need two beds we wanted what you advertised not what you trick people into buying to fill your vacancies. Add the $100 to the advertised price and I would have stayed at a real four star. I am disgusted at how we were treated. When we were checking out and I questioned the validity of a four star rating, the front desk person sheepishly admitted they usually only recommend the room for one night. I wish she had been there when I checked in.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

It was my first trip to NYC and I researched at length to find a hotel that was well located, provided the facilities that I was looking for at a reasonable price. I thought I had found something close when I booked City Club Hotel. I was wrong...City Club Hotel far EXCEEDED for expectations and made our 6 night stay very memorable. During our USA holiday we stayed in 25 different hotels and this one was by far the best.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, just a block and a half from Times Square. The staff were friendly and accommodating. They were happy to assist with all our enquiries. The room itself was not large but big enough to fir our 2 large suitcases, the bed was amazingly comfortable and the bathroom was lovely with quality toiletries provided. The towels were the largest I got in any USA hotel as well. My only negative comments on the bathrom would be that there was no space for personal toiletries and the shower flooded the floor everytime. Small negatives only.

It was fantastic to have free, fast Wifi and the channel selection was terrific. I booked this hotel about 10 months in advance and secured a great price too...an added bonus.

When we return to NYC we will definitely stay at City Club Hotel again.

Room Tip: The room was on level 5 and very quiet. No sunlight but good to sleep
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is a Gem! Stayed for 2 nights on a quick getaway to NYC with my husband & another couple.
High end hotel and not too expensive, our rate was a good deal & booked direct with hotel.
Great location and can walk to lots near by Times Sq, Broadway & all shopping/restaurants.
Really nice rooms, we had a suite which was really spacious/luxurious & our friends had a king which was also great.
Friendly, helpful & professional staff - always there if we needed anything, local knowledge, taxis, later checkout option!
Only 20 mins (in not too busy traffic) by taxi from La Guardia airport.
Didn't try the adjacent restaurant but had drinks in the bar, all looked good.
Of course, lots of restaurants nearby but we went to a Diner just a few doors down for a great breakfast, not too pricey and ok if you not need anything to fancy.
Definitely recommend a stay here and of course we will go back when we visit NYC again.
Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was primarily a good experience. The friendliness and service of the hotel staff well exceeded higher star establishments I stayed in recently. They are faultless in that regard.

However, the room was ridiculously tiny. There's nowhere to undress let alone open a case. They did the best they could given the permanent wall structure of the room. But a bit more in the right places would have gone a long way. The wallpaper covering the cupboard/wallspace was totally worn out and needs urgent replacement. It's weird how there's literally nothing behind the window. Maybe you can do some sort of clever adhesive mural or something - anything - on those windows to trick the eye, maximize feeling of space and allow the blinds to actually be opened. It also felt really dark in that little cave. Even brighter wattage lights may help as the design of lighting was good fundamentally. Maybe it's the color scheme, I can't say for sure, but the bathroom didn't have such a cramped feel as the room. What about getting a moveable wall stand for the TV so it can be angled out in the right direction for viewing?

Here's what they did right: having little books in the room to read, a random selection, this was unique and cool; wonderful staff; good cleaners and standards of cleanliness.

I think if this place was upgraded I'd give it a 4 or 4.5. Unlike other places, the key fundamentals are in place so I really hope the hotel rethink just a couple of relatively inexpensive and small changes to help make this the little gem it could be - even in the tiny rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to City Club Hotel? Share your experiences!