“Comfortable base, close to the action” 4 of 5 stars

City Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #202 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable base, close to the action”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The City Club Hotel scored high points from my family for several reasons. Check-in was quick and simple. The room came just as promised -- we had two double beds and a sofa fixed up as a bed. The room was on the smaller side, but the hotel did a nice job of maximizing the space with a wall-mounted TV, a nearly hidden closet, and no bulky dressers. But they had some comfortable chairs and a marble-top table. The tile in the bathroom was very handsome, and they wisely used a mirror on one wall, floor-to-ceiling tile for the shower, and a clear shower curtain to make the bathroom seem even bigger. The location was easy walking distance to the theatre, Restaurant Row, the stores on Fifth Ave., Times Square and more, yet the street is relatively quiet (for NYC). One caution: Don't expect a lot of hotel amenities. The lobby is very small -- not much more than the check-in desk. But it was great for us. One last note: The room was very clean. It had had a high shelf with some books and decorative boxes, and I have to tell you that I fully expected to find dust when I pulled down one of the books. But the shelf and everything on it were spotless.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you and your family back soon!

Lauren Reynor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I reserved, through Hotels.com, a luxury room with a pillowtop King bed and Frette linens. Upon arrival, I was told there was just one room left with a "King" bed. As it turns out, the bed is not King at all. It may be wide as a King but is strangely short in length. I am 5'10" and my feet hang over the bottom edge of the bed when sleeping. And no pillowtop. Just a regular mattress covered with a feather bed. The linens are nothing special, the WiFi weak and forget about unpacking our clothes because there isn't any decent place to put them. No dresser, just a few shelves tucked in the back of a small closet. A daybed takes up a sizeable portion of the room, which we don't need at all since there is just two of us. All in all, the City Club Hotel is a major disappointment.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at City Club Hotel. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I would very much like to speak to you in more detail. Please feel free to contact me at any time.
I look forward to hear from you soon!
Topsham, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The property is quite fresh ... I suspect a makeover in the not too distant past. I got upgraded. Sometimes a later arrival can be a wonderful thing. Great bathroom. Bed was firm and outfitted with great sheets and comforter. Front desk staff were particularly helpful. Further, all the staff were alert and friendly ... always a good thing.

I was a bit worried about noise at the location as it is in mid town, but I think I may have heard one siren all evening.

Here's where I complain about how much things in NYC cost. Someone get out the violins and play me a bit of sad music.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank your for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at City Club Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed here several times and always been pleased. Location is great and rates are reasonable based on New York prices (which are generally unreasonable). Rooms are adequate for the price. Love the bathroom. Best shower. Staff is helpful and friendly. Hotel is very small with little by way of amenities. No lobby to speak of. Food and drinks at the hotel restaurant were very good. There are much better hotels in NYC but be prepared to drop some coin.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for witing about your most recent stay at City Club Hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back!

toronto, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Have stayed at this property a few times during my past stays in NYC. Great location, friendly staff and very well appointed rooms. Restaurant at the hotel is also very good. Excellent salads and hanger steak cooked to perfection. For the value and location, it's a great spot.
Especially like the turn down service with the warm "home made" cookie!
Would recommend as a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay at City Club Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate you recommending us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We booked the double queen with a daybed and got upgraded to the 2 level suite. Our kids were beside themselves, I had to keep explaining that this was not your typical NYC hotel room. It was the most amazing room, all of the extra details like chic chip cookies, really nice soaps, amazing bathrooms....really made it feel like a cool apartment. The location is amazing and perfect if you are trying to fit all of the usual NYC sights in. Quiet street, quiet room. I can't think of a single negative thing to improve upon. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in NYC again.

Room Tip: If you can afford the suite, go for it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your review! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago Burb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed for three nights, one adult and two teenagers. Ended up in a king room with a bench style twin. It's not a sofa bed and doesn't pull out. The size of the room was okay, typical for New York. We didn't feel claustrophobic, but we did have to maneuver around each other. The bathroom was very spacious and felt indulgent. Both the king and the sofa were comfortable. The room was clean. The tv cable was out most of the time. Front desk said they were working on it, but nothing changed while we were there. You're not in New York to watch tv but it's nice to get the local news, etc. Got to the hotel early and they held our bags with no problem. However, disappointing that our room wasn't ready until 4:30, but they didn't have late check out available for us. Held our bags again without problem. Turn down service with chocolate chip cookies and a daily newspaper were appreciated. Staff were always polite. The hotel is located midtown, in the theatre district, walking distance from Rockefeller Plaza and Times Square.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at City Club. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience with your cable television. During your stay we were in the process of upgrading our cable system and found that in some rooms the connection was compromised. Although the technicians attempted to fix this in a timely manner, in this case it took longer than anticipated.
I'm glad you found your accommodations comfortable and would recommend a Luxe Double Double room in the future, should you decide to visit us again. This room type would offer you more space and more bedding.
I sincerely hope to welcome you and your family back to City Club in the future and look forward to making your next stay perfect!

Lauren Reynor

Been to City Club Hotel? Share your experiences!