“Excellent property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Club Hotel

Save Saved
You added City Club Hotel to your Saves list
City Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #200 of 451 hotels in New York City
Topsham, Maine
“Excellent property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The property is quite fresh ... I suspect a makeover in the not too distant past. I got upgraded. Sometimes a later arrival can be a wonderful thing. Great bathroom. Bed was firm and outfitted with great sheets and comforter. Front desk staff were particularly helpful. Further, all the staff were alert and friendly ... always a good thing.

I was a bit worried about noise at the location as it is in mid town, but I think I may have heard one siren all evening.

Here's where I complain about how much things in NYC cost. Someone get out the violins and play me a bit of sad music.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank your for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at City Club Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed here several times and always been pleased. Location is great and rates are reasonable based on New York prices (which are generally unreasonable). Rooms are adequate for the price. Love the bathroom. Best shower. Staff is helpful and friendly. Hotel is very small with little by way of amenities. No lobby to speak of. Food and drinks at the hotel restaurant were very good. There are much better hotels in NYC but be prepared to drop some coin.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for witing about your most recent stay at City Club Hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back!

toronto, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Have stayed at this property a few times during my past stays in NYC. Great location, friendly staff and very well appointed rooms. Restaurant at the hotel is also very good. Excellent salads and hanger steak cooked to perfection. For the value and location, it's a great spot.
Especially like the turn down service with the warm "home made" cookie!
Would recommend as a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay at City Club Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate you recommending us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We booked the double queen with a daybed and got upgraded to the 2 level suite. Our kids were beside themselves, I had to keep explaining that this was not your typical NYC hotel room. It was the most amazing room, all of the extra details like chic chip cookies, really nice soaps, amazing bathrooms....really made it feel like a cool apartment. The location is amazing and perfect if you are trying to fit all of the usual NYC sights in. Quiet street, quiet room. I can't think of a single negative thing to improve upon. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in NYC again.

Room Tip: If you can afford the suite, go for it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your review! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago Burb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed for three nights, one adult and two teenagers. Ended up in a king room with a bench style twin. It's not a sofa bed and doesn't pull out. The size of the room was okay, typical for New York. We didn't feel claustrophobic, but we did have to maneuver around each other. The bathroom was very spacious and felt indulgent. Both the king and the sofa were comfortable. The room was clean. The tv cable was out most of the time. Front desk said they were working on it, but nothing changed while we were there. You're not in New York to watch tv but it's nice to get the local news, etc. Got to the hotel early and they held our bags with no problem. However, disappointing that our room wasn't ready until 4:30, but they didn't have late check out available for us. Held our bags again without problem. Turn down service with chocolate chip cookies and a daily newspaper were appreciated. Staff were always polite. The hotel is located midtown, in the theatre district, walking distance from Rockefeller Plaza and Times Square.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at City Club. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience with your cable television. During your stay we were in the process of upgrading our cable system and found that in some rooms the connection was compromised. Although the technicians attempted to fix this in a timely manner, in this case it took longer than anticipated.
I'm glad you found your accommodations comfortable and would recommend a Luxe Double Double room in the future, should you decide to visit us again. This room type would offer you more space and more bedding.
I sincerely hope to welcome you and your family back to City Club in the future and look forward to making your next stay perfect!

Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stay at the city club this weekend. We stayed for 2 nights and split the cost, I did one night, he did the other. When we arrived the lady at the front desk put one night on my card and the second night on my boyfriends. There was also a 200$ security deposit, which was a surprise to me. Did not mention that when I called to make my reservation, so we split that too. The room was 383$ per night plus 100 for the security so 483 per night. When we arrived at our room we both checked our bank statement to make sure everything went the right way, and it did. I was charged $483 and he was also. The next morning we went down the street for breakfast, when we were done I gave the waitress my credit card and she came back saying it was declined. I started to panic because I knew I had money. I then checked on my bank statement and I had TWO charges for $483.00 at this point in time my account was withdrawn because I only brought a certain amount of money with me so I didn't spend to much. I then asked my boyfriend to check his bank statement and his 1 night which was $483 was BACK INTO HIS ACCOUNT. We then went right to the hotel and I explained the situation to the man at the front desk, which he wasn't very helpful at all. He had told us that it was a system fault because at the end of the night the system did not recognize that we were splitting the cost. Since I made the reservation my card number was the main one and the computer saw that my card was not charged enough for 2 nights and automatically charged me for the second night. The mam at the front desk still continued to not help me. Told me I had to call my bank. After being on hold for over 30 minutes with the bank I explained to her what had happened. She told me I needed them to fax overt information and what amount they needed to take off my card. After wasting about 2 hours with this, it was half way resolved. I am still waiting for my security deposit and the rest of my money to go back into my account. VERY UPSET AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. I do not recommend staying there because they just screw you over. To add to this the noise from outside was VERY VERY loud. Woke me up multiple times a night.

• Stayed February 2014
Canton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We recently stayed here and it was a great experience. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. The room was lovely with an old world elegance combined with a modern vibe. We ordered coffee in the morning and the service was fabulous. It added some luxe to the start of our day.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to City Club Hotel? Share your experiences!