“Awful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of City Club Hotel

Save Saved
You added City Club Hotel to your Saves list
City Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #200 of 449 hotels in New York City
Falkirk
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

If I could give less than 1 star I would. We have just appeared at the city Club Hotel in NY after travelling for more than12 hours to find that the room we had booked for 4 people does not sleep 4 and we will have to pay $200 to upgrade on top of what we have already paid. We are tired, upset and the customer service at the hotel is non existant. Apparantly this is our fault because we booked through Expedia and not through the hotel we are also at fault because we did not contact the hotel to double check the sleeping arrangements with them. We are trying to change hotels but it is proving to be difficult. This was to be a trip of a lifetime to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday that was rearranged from the Summer due to my husband taking ill. This is just an awful start to what was meant to be a special family holiday. Totally spoiled due to City Club Hotel especially the officious girl on recepton. My family is now sitting in reception with our luggage trying to get another hotel and the City Club Hotel could not care less.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Hockessin, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed one night to see a show. Theater district two blocks away. Our room was an upgrade to a double level suite. Sofa bed on the first level with a powder room, while loft had king size bed with large marble bath. Lighted shelf in shower a great touch. Building is a restored 19th C. club and they kept nice features such as the decorative ceiling mouldings. Great cookies at turn down and the Times in the AM. Hotel validates parking at a very nice garage across the street ($35/day - a deal in Mid-Town). We had breakfast at the resteraunt, DB Bistro Moderne (Daniel Boulard), which also provides room service. Excellent food and service. Hotel does have a small reception area, but this is on purpose according to their web site.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor front, and so was a little noisy. Ask for a higher room for more quiet...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Wonderful bed with soft feather pillows that are kind to your neck; big bathroom with shelf space for lotions and cosmetics; Wi-Fi that works easily. Only negative is lack of lobby or other general space to read, use laptop, or meet friends, but if you're on the run all day, you won't miss that.

Room Tip: Do not take the Petite room unless you're intending only to sleep. There's no desk so it'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel rooms carry all luxury details in a compact way. Nice bathroom and comfy bed. The location is excellent, to drop off bags during the day or for a short rest, close to everywhere and inspite of its central locations the rooms are very quiet. Recommend it

Room Tip: note that the petite rooms are only good for single stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Needed a last minute hotel in midtown for a business trip. The City Club was a terrific experience.

Helpful Staff, Free in room wi-fi, good sized clean room with plenty of light.

...and the cookie before bed was a welcoming touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mount Kisco, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I decided to use my new Tripadvisor app fort a b'day weekend in NYC. Pulled off West Side Highwy at 96th street and began search. My thinking was that I would book something with last minute prices but now nothing was coming up in the Upper West Side which is where we wanted to be. Found nice price at City Club totally unknown to me and I've been in NYC and envirions since 1996. A call to the hotel I learned that the quoted price on my iPhone would only work if I could book it over the iPhone but it would not work. More frustration and my wife and I now getting hungry. I asked if I could book it on the phone with him and after a wait, he agreed but that the room advertised was a 'petite suit' and when I asked could two people use it he was reluctant to agree. Then he said if I booked it now with him he would take that rate and give us an upgrade. Now that's a real 'pig-in-a-poke' situation but I decided to trust him and booked the room for two nights to celebrate my b'day weekend. The hotel was in the East Theater District. The drive was a nightmare but we got there with almost all our wits but hungry and angry at all the traffic snarls and totally exhausted. Now we had to hope and pray the room was at least a haven. Phillip was at front desk and very pleasant so we did the biz and madame went up to the room while I took the car across the street for fifty-percent off parking rate.
Then I made my way up to the room and knew I was going to be greeted either by a crazy crying woman or a happy woman. Fifty-fifty. The room was MAGNIFICENT...Stunning Japanese motif, black marble bathroom from the movies, great water pressure. No view but who cared. All the amenities including cookies by the deco nightstand and an incredible mini-bar hidden behind a huge Japanese painting. Needless to say Phillip got a nice tip and we were home for two glorious and very quiet days after much celebrating. Never forget this place and plan to go again next time New York City calls. This place is literally hidden. There is a small door on north side of 44th street between The Algonquin and the Iroquois hotels. Used to be a private Club in the 20's I think. Go, enjoy, ask for Phillip then step into Manhattan the way it was meant to be for night-life. Jimmy's bar towards Broadway is not to be missed. Thank you Tripadvisor app. Thank you Phillip. Thank you City Club.

Room Tip: Rooms off street might be quieter but I don't know as our room was warm and dark and quiet. I th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel was a small, modern boutique in a good location in NYC. Our room was on the smaller side, but that's expected in NYC. It was decently priced. The bathroom was larger, and full of mirrors. The bed was comfortable and there was a balcony, a good-sized balcony. There wasn't much of a view, but it was spacious. The lobby was small, but interesting. The staff was friendly, but at one point we felt that there wasn't enough people to help out at the front desk. The restaurant in the hotel was hip. We had dessert and a drink there. If you want a comfortable room at a good rate, this is the place to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to City Club Hotel? Share your experiences!