“Special occasion hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Central Park)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #37 of 451 hotels in New York City
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Special occasion hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We spent a weekend here on points (LOVE the Marriott points)
Room was clean and well appointed - no park view but we have been told these rooms are quieter.
Our only gripe was that we should have had access to the Club Lounge but it was "oversubscribed".
We found a welcome gift in our room - were wished "happy anniversary" at the front desk and a "Happy anniversay" dessert was brought to us after dinner.
In all a very plush place to stay if you want to feel spoiled - pricey if you are paying but well worth spending points on if you have them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Turkish first
Palm City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We checked in at 6 PM on a Sunday and the person at the front desk was completely clueless. Not a good beginning for such an upscale hotel. The room itself was okay. It was clean.
The real positive of our room was the club level. There they went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. The food presentations were fresh and tasty. The Spa is not really a spa. It did have a steam room that worked very very well but something truly was missing from the spa experience. The massage therapist was very good. The location could not be beat. Its a lot of money for what you really get, but its NYC after all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We booked a Ritz Carlton Suite for 7 night with my wife and 2 children. For more then 800USD a night I have to admit it is very pricey but this is NYC. We booked the limosine service from Kennedy airport which came on time. Check-in took just a few minutes. Our Ritz Carlton Suite was very spacious and had perfect views of Central park. We were also upgraded to a Ritz Carlton suite Club Room. The club had nice food and beaultiful views. Food was very good with a choice of both local and international cuisine. I really liked the Bistro and Bar which serves very nice and tasty seafood. I would defitney recommend it.

Room Tip: Book a club room despite the higher price, they have much better service and views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I could write ten pages about this experience but I will try to keep it as short as I can.

We booked a room for the Macy's Parade View many, many months in advance. We stayed at this hotel about two years ago (I failed to write review) so we somewhat knew what to expect. We were contacted prior to our arrival to find out if there was anything that could be done in preparation for our arrival. One of the few things we requested was not to be given a handicap accessible room. When we arrived after a long messed up day of travel we were placed in a handicap accessible room on the sixth floor. No door on toilet room, no bathtub for our two year old, grab bars all over the place. Called the desk and was moved to another room on the third floor. This room overlooked the top of a scaffolding that had work stuff all over it and blocked the first lane of Sixth Avenue where the parade would be. It ruined the view and would have ruined any pictures I had hoped to take. I called the desk again, asked manager to come to room. It is now around 10pm and I have a two year old! She informs me the rooms I had been offered were all that was left for the parade view but that certain guests were not there for the parade and would be checking out of ideal rooms the next day. At this point I am baffled that I, the customer who paid $1500 per night many months in advance am given the leftover crummy rooms. But someone who is paying probably half that amount and isn't even there for the parade view is in the good parade view room? I got pretty upset-wanted to cry. After going back and forth with the night manager begging her to do something she called with "good news". She had a guest move out of an ideal parade view room on the sixth floor. We had to wait for the room to be cleaned and they comped us dinner at their restaurant while we waited. When we finally got in what should have been our room all along it was perfect.

The room was very clean (maybe the cleanest I've ever stayed in) except the outside of the windows were quite dirty. After a couple of phone calls they came and were able to swing the window open from the inside and cleaned them really well.

The two large windows were perfect for watching the parade. The have a huge ledge you can actually sit in, my toddler stood in, and you can crank them open at the top and hear the sounds.

They really did not do anything special for the Thanksgiving Holiday or for the customers paying huge amounts for the view. Their "Parade View Package" turned out to be nothing beyond the room and hot chocolate on the morning of the parade. That seems pretty silly to me. I don't think someone paying $1500/night for a basic little room is really going to think hot chocolate is a great deal. Besides we aren't eight years old! Hot chocolate?! I would have much rather had a nice welcome note from management saying "Happy Thanksgiving, thanks for staying with us". A small fruit basket maybe? A couple drink vouchers? They often do things like that at Ritz Carlton even if you're NOT there for something special! Disappointing!

I give the rating four stars because the room was very clean (big deal to me!) and all problems ended up fixed in the end. We had an unbelievable view of the parade! But I am still pretty shocked about our initial room assignments and their lack of attention to detail for the guests there for the very costly "Parade View Package".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed at the Ritz the weekend of November 30. Very nice hotel, nice room, enjoyable restaurant and bar. Breakfast at the restaurant was very good. Room had no view but clean and nice size. Compared to our stay at the Pierre, I felt the attention to detail at this hotel was lacking.

We didn't use the spa or gym (went for runs in central park). Can't best the location of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Central Park Ritz is a nice, boutique like property which is well located. Rooms are smallish, but very well-appointed. The lobby is small and very understated. This is definitely a Ritz which flies under the radar and feels more like an apartment building than a hotel.

I have stayed here many times on business. The service is good and it's hard to find fault.

As a business traveler, the hotel is on the pricer side. Rates fluctuate, but it's not uncommon to pay close close to $1000 a night (or more) for a modest non-suite room, which is nearly double the price to stay of the neighboring Essex House (which happens to be a very nice property, at least while it was in the hands of Jumeriah...We will see what Marriot does with it).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

As a native New Yorker who was displaced due to a flood in my apartment, my family and I had to stay at a few hotels in Manhattan for a total of five weeks before we could move back into our own place.
When we travel for vacations ( which we don't usually do in our own city) we normally stay at the best hotels. Especially in capital or large cities. We have been very lucky to have stayed at some of the most luxurious properties but, clearly, i am a tourist in all the cities except in New York. It was a strange experience. And I tried to see this hotel from the perspective of knowing Manhattan inside out and as a tourist from out of town. (I often don't end reviewing on tripadvisor as often as I should so I do apologize to all of you who are so faithful about reporting back.)

We needed a two bedroom suite. We wanted a Central Park-facing suite. They had no two Bedroom suites, per se: but we were offered a one bedroom Central Park suite with a deluxe room right next to it,although it did not connect. The room was for our 12 th grade daughter so she was okay on her own but I would have preferred an arrangement where we could have all been in one suite.
The suite was large...that is the living room and the bedroom in the one Bedroom suite facing the park. Lots of windows. The connecting deluxe room was dark and faced Sixth Avenue. You could sneak a peak of the Park but it was a dreary room and not that large. For an expensive deluxe room I felt it was not nearly nice enough.
Even for the suite: The decor was really not very stylish in my opinion. Ritz Carltons generally are very traditional in decor. Lots of gold and swagged draperies. Lots of brocade and fringe. It really seems very dated and not especially clean at all.. A number of their properties have become sleeker, and it's certainly not that I prefer minimalist style. But I feel if you are going with elegant and traditional it should be more authentic, with first class fabrics and well-planned decor: it should definitely not be cheesy and the Ritz Carlton felt cheesy and unfashionable. The suites we occupied at the St. Regis during this stint away from home were much more elegant in every way. Night and day....and service as well. This Ritz Carlton just seemed the right side of shabby....barely. And the Housekeeping was just uninspired. Finger marks on glass tops that serve as furniture protectors, grimy dust in corners people don't usually look in, dirt around switch plate covers, sheets tucked in very sloppily, wrinkled and rumpled. And dirty windows really hampered that amazing view that so many visitors come to see and enjoy.
As a tourist, I could see loving the Ritz Carlton because the view is fabulous. However, one unfortunate drawback that is not the hotel's fault is the odor from the horses directly opposite the hotel. The carriages and horses line up in a long, long line and the smell wafts directly into the hotel. Please, do not open the windows under any circumstances because the smell from the horses across the way is unbelievable! New York really does not smell like horses and their own "waste". The city has been very vigilant that the carriage drivers keep things very sanitary, but the smell is just over the top no matter how scrupulously clean the streets are kept.

We really loved the Club Lounge. Sadly, it seems that one must stay on a Club Floor to really be able to count on great service. Trying to jostle for a spot in the bar or a table in the casual eating area is really unpleasant. And the only place at the Ritz Carlton where the service is truly personalized is in the Club Lounge. And the complimentary food and drinks are just so nice to be able to enjoy.
As a native of Manhattan, I would like to say that Central Park South is not, in and of itself, a great street. It seems as if it would be because of its proximity to the park, Carnegie Hall, the Plaza, breat stores and even Lincoln Center. But Central Park South is especially very touristy. Plus, because it is the last street before the Park, there are no buildings opposite the hotel to keep that side of the street spotless and really inviting. In New York each building is really in charge of maintaining the decorum and cleanliness of its own sidewalks. . A lot of nonsense and noise can just happen across the street, outside the Park, even if it's just scads of trinket stands and some really unruly, noisy groups of people now and then. I would hope the revelry or whatever would never affect the experience of those of us staying at the hotel. But I was bothered by loud crowds late at night, for example.
That is definitely, without question, not the fault of the hotel, so I would never blame the hotel. I'm just saying there are better locations. And very close by. In fact the Ritz Carlton is in a very convenient location as a base for sightseeing and shopping but you dont need to stay on that slightly seedy street to have all the advantages of the location. But you pretty much do have to stay there if you want that amazing view. (there are a few other hotels with similarly great views but they may be more expensive for the premium of the full-on Central Park view.

What the hotel is at fault for, in my experience, is very poor service Ina number of areas. Compared to other five star luxury, full service hotels in Manhattan, the front reception staff is rude and they do not even pretend to be happy to see you. They act neither elegant and poised or friendly and competent. They are easily exasperated for no reason. They do not extend themselves beyond whatever it is they must actually be doing in order to keep their jobs. I checked in and out twice during our five weeks (they couldn't accomodate us for one long stay, we had to keep switching). And only after a great deal of exasperation and bad attitude did I insist on speaking to a manager. She was very apologetic and sent us complimentary champagne, but I would rather have had good service.
Housekeeping was definitely hit or miss, which is not acceptable in this level of hotel. Only after the aforementioned manager flagged us as "VIP" guests (for whatever reason) did we get personal attention from housekeeping, room service, and even the host at the bar started to acknowledged us by name and "found"seats for us, etc.

All in all, there are so many excellent choices in Manhattan in the same price category and in the same type of luxury class that are better located, have much more professional and customer-centered service.

I can understand that it has a special location because of its famous view into Central Park. But you are giving up a huge amount of service and quality of accommodations, food and all around decor and ambience as well as actual location for that view. I stayed at four other hotels of the same calibre and price during that time, all within the same basic area. This one, this Ritz Carlton, by far, had the least to offer in every aspect.

A few "buts"....For example,....the Club Lounge was really, really nice, and a welcoming place to relax. Also, the gentleman from housekeeping who would make up the sofa bed for my son every evening worked very hard and was proud of his hard work and was extremely friendly.
. We met nice people in the Club Lounge who were visiting New York and it was fun to have nice people to chat with. I just felt sorry for the out of town guests who were not getting treated as well as possible, especially if they were not on the Club Floor. In my opinion, they were not getting great advice from the concierge, etc.

Room Tip: Park view great but horse smell is awful
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park? Share your experiences!