“Great Hotel for the price and location” 4 of 5 stars

nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 W 32nd St, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #266 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Great Hotel for the price and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel was truly walking distance to Times Square and is located off of Korean Way, just a block or so away from Macy's and a few blocks from Penn station. Aside from having too few towels (there was one bath towel - no wash cloths) in the bathroom, the staff was friendly, the breakfast (continental & complimentary) was adequate, and the price (for New Years Eve) was pretty much on point. The complimentary WiFi and unlimited tea, coffee, hot chocolate were a plus! The elevators can be a bit slow, but please note, that while they do lead you outside, there is no entry to the lobby from the stairs. Overall though, I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Outside of the 2nd floor breakfast lobby, there's additional seating to enjoy your continental b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Hyncynt3,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay on New Year’s Eve! We’re sorry that there were not enough towels in the bathroom. We always have extras, so you can always call the front desk to send some up to your room. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the elevators. Sometimes during busy hours of the day they can get a bit held up.
We hope to welcome you again soon!
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at NYMA 12/6-9. I recently completed wearing invisalign braces and got upper and lower retainers on 12/4. I have to leave them in hydrogen peroxide during the day. They are clear plastic. I asked my husband where he thought I should leave the cup and we decided the safest place was on the shelf over the sink. We also left 2 other plastic (disposable) cups with each of our toothbrushes in them. Saturday when I returned to the room, everything was fine. I did the same thing Sunday before leaving at 8:30 a.m.. When I returned after 9:30 p.m., the cup with the retainers was missing.
Monday morning I told the desk clerk about my problem. He said I needed to speak with the manager when he arrived at the hotel. The retainers cost $160.00. I have been billed for this charge by my dentist.
When I spoke with the manager in person Monday, he could not have been more rude to me. He said I should have left my retainers some place safe. He asked why I wasn’t wearing them when I left the hotel. He told me it is not the hotel’s policy to pay guests for things which are lost by the guests. He said he would speak with the maid, when she was in Wednesday. He also told me he had the maintenance man go through the trash and the man did not find my retainers. 170 rooms and he picked through the garbage carefully enough to find two small pieces of clear plastic? Sure thing.
The manager left a message on my home phone Wednesday saying the maid stated there were no cups on the shelf at all, and she did not throw anything away. Clearly anything she did WAS a mistake, but the fact remains that my retainers were missing after the room was cleaned when we were not there. The maid reported there were no cups on the shelf, but that was not accurate, as there were still 2 cups with our toothbrushes when we got back to the room. Just not the cup with my retainers.
I wrote a detailed complaint to the owners and got no reply at all. Clearly the customer is not ‘always right,’ or even worthy of a phone call.
I also want to mention that the pillows on the bed were king sized. The pillow cases were regular sized, so several inches of pillow hung out of the pillow case, which is gross, and not where I want to lay my head.
All in all, go anywhere else for better service and cleaner environment. We are so sorry to have stayed at NYMA.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear irishiiis,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you lost your invisalign braces while staying with us. If a guest is still in-house when the housekeeper comes to tidy the room, they are instructed not to throw anything out, even if it looks like it might be trash. We double checked with the housekeeper who cleaned your room on that day and she confirmed that she did not throw anything away, nor did she see the cup with the invisalign. It is not possible for us to compensate guests for personal items that are lost in a guest room. Also, please note that every room does have an in-room safe for valuable items .
We understand your frustration over this loss, but please know that we would not have thrown out any of your personal belongings.
We do hope your invisalign shows up somewhere in your luggage and hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I booked a room in this hotel last minute after a bad experience somewhere else. I had a pleasant experience. I would stay here again. The room size was good, compared to other hotels in the area. Breakfast was not so good, but everything else was great.

Room Tip: Get your parking validated to get a discount from the parking garage down the block.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed for five night's, 06th to 11th Nov 13, which was a surprise "special birthday present for herself" and as anybody who goes there they will find this hotel is extremely well situated for shopping, Broadway, subway, Fifth Ave yards away and in the shadow of, two block's, the Empire State Building.
The front of the Hotel is very understated but the room we found very clean, with all the usual amenities, was of a reasonable size made smaller only by a huge, very comfortable bed, and was serviced every day.
Unusually for NY hotels there was a continental breakfast served in a small room near ground level which was quite good, saved you a few dollars and valuable time, but tended to be very busy so go early.
On the subject of getting to this and the foyer the only problem I would mention with the hotel are the lifts, two of them, which are either extremely busy or are reduced to a singular one because of a breakdown which happened twice during our stay.
The hotel is in the Korean district, with a plethora of restuarant's on your doorstep, but the downside to this is it was very untidy with all the deliveries, rubbish bags and cardboard boxes stacked up outside on the pavement but you can live with this because of the aforementioned location.
Staff in the hotel are very friendly and helpful especially the lovely girl at the concierge's desk who will give you advice, directions and can book many things for you including the Tour buses which I would highly recommend as they give, especially first time travellers to NY, a wonderful idea of the different districts and where exactly they are.
Fifth Ave is literally yards away outside the hotel and at the other end of the street is of course Sixth Ave, Broadway, J C Penneys, Maceys and a short walk to Times Square where, if you wish, you can queue up for discounted tickets to most of the shows - The queue can seem quite long at times but moves very quickly and is well worth the wait for the prices attained.
Three things regarding the discounts - tkts are for shows that evening, the best shows take a rest on Sundays and if you have bought discounted tkts previously bring your stubs as you can then join a special, shorter queue.
Seems a bit clichéd but on West 35th street, short walk, we found two Irish bars, loved The Playwright, with the second one almost next door where the food and drinks were excellent, reasonably priced and every member of staff was so friendly and got to know you very quickly.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor which was very quiet, with a great view of the Empire State, but the only...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here 15 -22 December 2013. The location is briliant, I have problems walking, yet from here I could easily make Macys, Empire State, the Flat Iron District and the subway. It is in the midst of the Korean district so lots of restuarants on the doorstep. Until we checked in we kept wandering what the catch was, to get such a fab location at such a great price..there isn't one!

Requested a non smoking room higher up to avoid noise and were placed on the 8th floor which was fine. The room size about the same as a Travel Lodge and we had been warned that rooms in NY tend to be small, but is was fine. Great bed, large and comfortable, Bathroom was also fine and functional. Neat feature on the TV so you can angle it to watch in bed!

Staff always helpful and polite. A special mention to the young lady on the customer service desk who never failed to help and was always willing to offer advice.

Breakfast is a good selection of bagels, toast juice etc and is kept constantly filled. It does get busy in there so we tooks our back to our room.

And the one downside? The lifts! They just cannot keep up with demand espcially at weekends with many people checking out and the staff trying to make up the rooms, be prepared to wait a while. Never got around to using the 24 hour hot chocolate and coffee on the mezzanine.

Overall would definitely stay again, and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less road noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tiverton, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Love the NYMA and have stayed there several times. Best hotel for economy price!!! i usually get a room with two double beds for approx 180.00! Not bad for the heart of NYC

Positives: so many!!!! Located in the heart of nyc...times square,5th and 6th ave and every attraction you can think of within walking distance (unless you want to go to canal street or ground zero then taking the subway is the best). don't forget the great whole sale jewelry district. exit your hotel entrance and go to the left and then go left at the end of the street before you get to Macy's. Great costume jewelry for $2-5.00, same styles they slap labels on and sell in macy's for 100.00! Hotel is always clean, beds are comfy. I have always been able to check in early..i usually get there around 11 am and my room is always ready. Highly recommend the PHO restauraunt two doors down on the right when you exit the hotel. Best lunch ever for about 9.00. I recommend checking the rates every two days once you book right up until the 24-48 hours before you arrive. I was able to cancel and rebook several times saving about 150.00 on my two rooms. Book what you want early then price chop as the weeks go by... you have your room one way or another and if rates drop, you can cash in! Breakfast included is a very good continental with hard boiled eggs, cereal, bagels juice coffee etc...more then enought to have a hearty nutritional breakfast (this also saves you some money!)

Only negative: elevator !!! only two for a very large hotel and slowwww....but hey...taking the stairs gives you an extra work out if you are in a rush!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 9-11th dec 13, on booking I asked for a quiter room at rear of building and away from elevators and that is what I got. We we're put on the fifth floor room 507 and it was lovely and quiet and not too high up either! Perfect! Our room was of a normal size , my only complaint was the shower was not piping hot the way I like it and we did notice a hair on bathroom floor, no biggy tho, these things can happen I guess. Bed was huge and so comfy!

The hotel is really central and we walked to time square, rockerfella and loads of other places.

We went down early to get our breakfasts and it was fully stocked with a good selection.

Unfortunately one of the lifts broke one day leaving the remaining one a
Little slow but nothin major!

On check out we were able to leave our bags until 5.30 pm and this wasn't an issue.

Fantastic overall and will definitely stay here again in the future.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to nyma, the New York Manhattan Hotel? Share your experiences!