“Oasis in the City Jungle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #3 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne Australia
“Oasis in the City Jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

The staff were extremely helpful and freindly. We upgraded to a Junior Suite King and seeing the size of the other rooms this was a very good idea, by prepaying the cost increase was only minimal above the Deluxe Room Queen. I recommend you do this as the extra pace in the room makes it so much more comfortable. The level 2 reading room is fantastic being able to get a coffee whenever you feel like it make the hotel feel more homely. If you are a light sleeper maybe ask for a room away from the main road.
We cannot recommend this Hotel enough it deserves it high ranking

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Birmingham UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights. Great location, esp as it was our first visit to NYC. We chose this hotel mainly because of the reviews we read on Trip Adviser.

I guess the standard of hotels must be pretty low for this to be in the top 5 ranked! It is perfectly fine but for the cost and the expectation we were let down.

Positives - helpful staff, small hotel so not feel part of a big process, decent room size (I assume NYC always have small hotel rooms), help yourself to Tea, Coffee, biscuits and fruit all the time! Cheese, wine etc good quality and generous - help yourself. Good cleaning service and nicely decorated rooms. Newspapers and lots of books!!!!

Negatives - breakfast whilst good quality, nothing was cooked. So same old each day. Was I wrong to expect a better breakfast option? The reading room was a major selling point but it has an awful claustrophobic feel to it. No one whilst I was there seemed to enjoy it, the carpet makes any conversation stand out, there were not enough seats for everyone when busy at Breakfast, the lighting is too bright. I know it seems like I am moaning but this was the hotels USP but they aren't maximising it. They should use the ground floor restaurant for Breakfast. That would have really improved our opinion.

I suppose I don't believe what they offered is value for money but it is still a good hotel and I have nothing to compare against in NYC. So it may be very good compared to the competition.

I wouldn't stay here again as I would probably stay in Tribeca area instead.

buffalo, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

A very cool surprise. The lobby is deceving as it is not indicative of the vast spaciousness of the rooms. The room are ultra chic, very cozy, and provide for a great experience when you are there. the location of this hotel is perfect, central to outstanding dining and nightlife. The staff is cordial and knowledgeable. And the LIBRARY theme is a unique spin on the hotel and travel industry. Two enthousiastic thumbs up. We will return and we will recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

I stayed in an appropriately named petite room, which had plenty of storage space. I was in NY for the 2009 marathon and upset that I didn't sleep well due to cars continually thumping over a loose manhole outside. When I complained, Laurence stepped out from behind the desk and charged into the middle of the street with a potential temporary solution. When that didn't work, he came back in, thought of something else and tried another method. It didn't work but I was impressed with the length to which he was prepared to go to help me. Other concierges were very helpful with restaurant and play recommendations and bookings.
In addition, the breakfast is very good with a lovely fresh fruit bowl, yummy bagels and rolls, yoghurt,hard-boiled eggs, etc. That and the wine and cheese in the evening really help to save money in such an expensive city. The staff there was also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

Like many others before me, I did some homework on this place before booking. I had high expectaitons going in and am glad to say that the Library Hotel exceeded those expectations. From offering us a free breakfast on the morning before we checked in (we got in early from a red-eye flight), to the promt and helpful responses to all of our inquiries, this was the perfect place to stay. The location is great and the hotel is better.

dublin ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

To find a hotel that ticks all boxes - are hard to find BUT the Library hotels is such one.
From start to finish the staff were superb and couldn't fault their professionalism in any way - courteous , friendly. The hotel does make the vistor appreciated - even on check out day - the offer to use the hotel facilities is a major plus , if you are waiting for a late flight. The ambience / atmosphere of the hotel is fanatastic and the location just makes it a great place to stay when visiting New York.

Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed at the Library Hotel for 7 nights in September. I would definitely stay there again and it's a joy to find somewhere that breaks free from the mould of your average hotel. The staff were friendly and very helpful, especially those serving breakfast. The lounge was a bit small for this purpose however the staff were prompt to offer a tray and we enjoyed breakfast on the 14th floor lounge on a couple of occasions. The location is excellent - just round the corner from Grand Central Station. Our room was quite small, but sufficient for our stay. The only thing I would change is hte soundproofing. It's not that great and the street noise was pretty constant. My wife and I both ended up using earplugs, but overall, it wouldn't prevent us returning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Library Hotel? Share your experiences!