“A Wonderful Manhattan Boutique!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Visit LibraryHotel.com
Ranked #4 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Vienna, Virginia
“A Wonderful Manhattan Boutique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed four days at the Library Hotel in late January for our tenth anniversary. We found the hotel charming, cozy and friendly. We would love to stay there again and highly recommend it.

There are so many reviews on this site that I risk repeating others, so I will attempt to answer some questions that I had after carefully reviewing Trip Advisor. First, my husband does not like bed and breakfast inns and is suspicious of boutiques. Given that this was an anniversary trip, I was trying to avoid a huge, impersonal convention-type hotel. We both loved the Library Hotel and it provided the perfect balance. The staff are efficient and friendly but never intrusive. Even the public spaces in the hotel afford plenty of quiet spots to "escape" with a good book and a cup of tea. Our room faced Madison Avenue but it was not too noisy. The hours for breakfast and wine/cheese are wide enough to accomodate any schedule.

Second, we booked a Junior Suite with King bed (Ancient Languages) and felt the room was large enough by Manhattan standards. The layout was efficient with space for two people and their gear.

Third, we made this trip without our son, but I was wondering whether he would enjoy it should we ever have the chance to bring him. While I would say the hotel is geared toward the adult traveler, a child who is a real book lover, library lover and familiar with Lemony Snicket (which describes our son), would probably appreciate it. However, we did not notice any families with children during our stay.

We would highly recommend the Library Hotel -- we took advantage of a mid-winter special rate on their website so be sure to check before assuming it is out of your budget.

Enjoy your travels and your reading!

• Liked — Library theme
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

I'm a huge fan of bed and breakfasts, but that's a tough goal if you're traveling to New York. I found boutique hotels to be the next best thing to a bed and breakfast. In December 2008, I checked out three boutique hotels in Manhattan. Out of the three, I enjoyed the Library Hotel for its quality service, scrumptious breakfasts and most of all, its decor and book motif.
Staying here made me feel at home even though I was in the heart of New York's nerve center. While I found the Library to convenient for my family, I think it's perfect for the business traveler and couples.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

After spending Christmas at the Library, all I can say is that I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

The staff are extremely friendly and efficient.

The location is excellent, about a 2min walk to Central Station where you can catch the shuttle to Times Square. Although you can easily walk to most attraction- Library, Empire State, MoMA, UN.

You are provided with complementary chocolates & bubbly on arrival. The breakfast is great- contenental. And the all day cakes and cofee sooo good.

We were here for Christmas. It was so beautiful.

If you are considering going to NYC and like us (my boyfriend & I) on a tight budget- please stay here. Yes it is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy expensive but we did it by staying in Youth Hostels everywhere else. Have fun!

• Liked — The luxury
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Lisbon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

I went to Library Hotel in the end of last year.
I must say it's a very good hotel, I stayed on a Single Room that was not small as I was expecting, the only thing was the safe was on a very high position. The room is decorated with books as well as the breakfast lobby on the second floor. The ambience is very familiar and nice.
The Hotel is very central one block away from 5th avenue in front of New York Public Library

There was some confusion with my return trip to the airport but nothing much...

I would recomend this hotel for a good place to put your money, for example was the only one that didnt changed the prices for the new year.
I would say a perfect gem in NYC

• Liked — All the room was great
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

this hotel is in a great location.. lots of nice places to eat nearby and as others have said some really nice touches to the room, with the book themes and the collection of dvd's you can borrow from reception. My hubby had let them know it was my 30th birthday and they put a complimentary bottle of bubbly in the room which was lovely. The rooftop bar is very nice with excellent views... the petit full rooms are a little on the small side but average size for NY. Would definitely return and maybe splurge on a suite...

• Liked — quirky boutique feel of hotel, cheese and wine each night between 6-8pm
  • Disliked — size of rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boulder co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

The library is a wonderful, intimate hotel. Wireless internet, gym access, continental breakfast, wine and cheese in the afternoon, all included. I didn't feel like I was being hounded by countless fees like in most hotels. I hesitate to call the atmosphere "club like". I didn't feel a sense of exclusivity as much as being included. The staff is warm and friendly, the guest were relaxed and unassuming. The 2nd floor library is a lovely space open 24 hours a day and providing cookies, juice, tea, coffee, wine and cheese. The small rooms are clean and nicely decorated.

• Liked — common library room
  • Disliked — no gym
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I am the family travel agent! I worked extremely hard on this specific trip ! October 27 - November 1st 2008...It was a combination 85th Birthday celebration for my mother-in-law and a family reunion for 11 people- two who had never met the others-ala boyfriends and fiances... I began by trusting my fellow trip advisor writers. It took me over a month and a half to decide what hotel would be THE one for Bea! She deserved the Best! When I began the actual booking The Connoisseur at the Library Hotel was exceptional. In very MANY & lengthy discussions we slowly figured out all the details and I mean DETAILS!!! I was polite but very emphatic and was greeted with nothing but pure assistance and personal touches galore! We were in contact constantly and it was always a delight and funny. Very personalized!

The Hotel includes a fabulous continental breakfast which is loaded with fresh goodies. NOT your typical breakfast. It is served in their library sitting room with beautiful views and ambience. Paintings,piano, art work, and of couurse BOOKS to borrow and read EVERYWHWERE!!! They serve complimentary wine, champagne, beer, and appetizers after 5pm in this room as well. There is fresh fruit and coffee 24hrs in here.

The bar is for all of NYC. It is located on the 14th floor with unbelievable views. Couches with a fireplace and even outdoor seating with heaters made it so enjoyable for martini indulging! We loved coming up here to wind down our evening especially with the 21 yr olds!

We booked 6 rooms-each with specifications and surprise EVERYTHING was PERFECT when we arrived. NOTHING was changed or hidden. YEA! Even with two arrival dates, two parties, and from two different states. We were picked up and taken to the airport by The Library Hotel who made the limo arrangements for not much more than a taxi! Worth every penny for the lack of worrying.

I gave him my list for dinners, sight seeing, activities, sports bars, and brunch. We had a lot of fun selecting the venues. I had already selected " Blue Hill" for Beas' birthday dinner. All I can say is SUPERB!!! Outstanding food and service! On Halloween/Fri night no less in Greenwich Village. A MUST DO!!!

Benjamins Steak House was surprisingly excellent! They were willing to seat all 11 of us at one table. A rare find in NYC! Most do not seat more than 6 people at one table. The menu was classic but had many choices prepared beautifully. It is located literally right across the street from the Hotel. So easy to walk to that first night.

He helped me select where to watch The Texas/Texas Tech football game. Our brunch was a wonderful French restaurant - Amore's

Everyone loved their room. Wonderful and different themes on each floor with books to coincide with the Dewey decimal System. The amenities were lovely, elegant and we slept like babies. The linens were divine! Our room was on the 10th floor and the noise was minimal. It's NYC!!! We felt very safe and pampered. The front desk doted on all of us and we received bottles of champagne etc...

To sum up.... A trip of bountiful memories made possible by The Library Hotel