“Excellent.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed here two nights and it was better than expected. My room was the smallest avail, but still well laid out and much better than most of the many I've stayed at in nyc. Bathroom was big for nyc stabdards. Wonderful location, great staff, and enjoyed the amenities. I stayed the first night solo, so it was great to have the wine/cheese reception to allow me to have some snacks without leaving the hotel. I was able to catch up on work emails while the thoughtful staff catered to me. The lovely lady in the reading room (didn't catch her name but was from Czech Republic?) was wonderful. Such a pleasant person, but also very helpful and had my wine glass filled quickly each time it got low. She was a nice ray of sunshine for my stay! The next day my sister joined me for the stay, and it was nice to have a hearty breakfast with her before sight seeing. The ability to borrow a movie was a perfect way to cap off the night. And my 2 minute walk to grand central the morning that I left was the best part. Ill be back! Thanks!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Great reviews in Tripadvisor got me to reserve this hotel and I am so happy I did so! This hotel is simply GREAT! This is a boutique hotel with only 60 rooms. The room isn't big but it is comfortable and very clean (it is made up twice a day). On the second floor there is the library room. This is a very comfortable lounge with books (and a piano). It is opened 24/7 with coffee/ tea etc at all times. This is also the place for daily breakfast and for wine and cheese every day in the afternoon. One can also enjoy the beautiful rooftop bar allowing indoor and outdoor seating with a great view. The staff is very friendly and professional. Upon checkout I was worried about getting to the bus with my luggage and was helped all the way to the bus, with my heavy suitcases by Billy the concierge- can not get any more attentive and friendly than this. Will surely be back!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My experience at the Library Hotel was simply the best hotel experience I’ve ever had in New York. I booked the “Book Lover’s Deal” and was extremely satisfied. My hotel room was clean (“and stacked with books”), the hotel staff were very courteous, the location of the hotel was convenient to many locations in Mid-Town Manhattan, and the other rooms (e.g., the Reading Room, the Writer’s Den & Poetry Garden, etc.) greatly enhanced the overall experience. The arrangement of the overall hotel (based on the Dewey Decimal Classification System) was fascinating and made want to book specific rooms (like Classic Literature) for my next stay. Overall, booking a stay at the Library Hotel should be a must for any bibliophile.

Room Tip: Be familiar with the Dewey Decimal System if you want a specific Theme for your room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Living on Manhattan is known to be ridiculously expensive, but we just had a wedding, so couple of nights in Library was an option. And it turned out great - location, nice thematic rooms (our was "Fairy tale", really suitable;)) I would like especially to note Reading room, there we could have a snack during day, very nice touch. Only one problem was bad wi-fi. Anyway, place to remember, for sure.

Room Tip: Think about your favorite genre of literature - you can live in a room inspired by fairy tale, psych...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Everything about the Library Hotel was incredible! The rooms were VERY clean & comfortable. We stayed in a deluxe queen room on the 5th floor. The ENTIRE staff was always warm, welcoming, courteous, & helpful. The complimentary breakfast is more than the average hotel's. There was always a young lady in the reading room during breakfast that kept items well stocked and tables clean. She was also very willing to get anything you may need. It was the same during the evening wine & cheese reception. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. It is one block away from grand central terminal, which will basically take u anywhere your heart desires. It rained one evening and a guy met us outside with an umbrella before we could even see him coming lol. THE LIBRARY HOTEL IS JUST GREAT GREAT GREAT! Whenever we visit NYC we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Berkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This beautiful hotel has the most perfect location as it lies in the heart of midtown Manhattan within easy walking distance of so many "must sees" - Times Square, Broadway, Rockafeller, Central Park, 5th Avenue and more, more, more....but that is only a small part of its charm.
From the second we arrived and checked in the staff were fantastic. They were incredibly helpful, patient and polite; they helped with booking various tickets, organising cabs, pointing out directions and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is serene and calm, despite the fact that a guest can enjoy a full 24 hour a day service as tea and coffee and small snacks are available in the dining room. Our room overlooking Madison was very quiet, no traffic noise...a little a/c noise, but that was fine, the weather was hot and the a/c worked well! I'd rather that way around! We ate once or twice in the hotel and the food was great, breakfast is complimentary, but the service elevates The Library to super-status as far as I'm concerned. Each guest is made to feel valued and important, I watched the staff with other guests and their manner is terrific. The hotel has a beautiful roof top bar on the 14th floor - here again is a beautiful space with wonderful cocktails and good food. If I were to have any other comments to make here, it would be that the girls serving are not the same as the front desk staff nor the dining room staff, not even the maid service (also top notch)...service is quite slow, not hugely friendly and sometimes a little rude frankly, in one instance we chased up our order after 20 minutes to be told, "oh, yes, your drinks are here", and they were sat waiting on her desk while the waitress caught up on paperwork! - My (hopefully) constructive comments here would be to recommend that the marvellous ladies from the dining room work a shift in the cocktail bar, and the cocktail waitresses from the 14th floor learn to look after the guests to the same standard as those who work tirelessly, with a wonderful smile and with their guests in mind. Don't let that put you off, there are other places to spend an evening...in fact the wonderful dining room staff offer complimentary cheeses and wines in the dining room from 5pm - its a great time to relax, chat with others and enjoy the ambience and gentle music...
The rooms are beautiful, clean, fresh. Our bathroom was a great size, super linens, a hot, powerful shower and the maid service are amazing - our room was immaculate when we returned in the late afternoon and immaculate again after a night out after the turn down service. I would race back and happily recommend this hotel to anybody. The management were also terrific, we had to check out at 1pm but did not have to leave for the airport until 6.30pm - but we were still invited to have a quick glass of wine before we left. Please Mr Manager - have a quiet word with the 14th floor ladies....other than that, pretty much perfection!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ivana B, Director of Sales at Library Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear SJB_Berks,
Thank you for your review! It was our pleasure to welcome you to New York City and the Library Hotel. We are so happy to hear your compliments on our location, guestrooms, all of our complimentary amenities, and, of course, our staff. The wonderful hostesses in the Reading Room were thrilled to know they made you feel welcome and appreciated. We are also terribly sorry to hear that you did not experience the same level of service at Bookmarks Lounge. The bar is not staffed by our own employees, but rather, it is run by a hospitality partner who normally does a great job, and when we shared your comments with them, they told us they were committed to working with their team to coach them in delivering excellent service. We even set up a meeting to share with them tips to providing outstanding hospitality that we have learned through experience with the help of reviewers like you who so kindly share the guest perspective with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and I know upon your next visit your experience at Bookmarks will be a positive one. Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and thank you for mentioning your experience at Bookmarks, as it gave us the opportunity to improve communication and service there.

All the best,
Ivana Bolf
Director of Sales
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a clean, safe, classy, boutique hotel in Midtown East. I made a reservation for myself for one night in one of their smallest rooms. Upon arrival, they told me they would upgrade me to their King Deluxe Room. It was fantastic! Large, corner room, beautiful big king bed, with windows on two sides. I had great views of the NY Public Library and the city. I felt like a high-roller! I have stayed in this hotel on my own several times and always feel welcome and would recommend it to anyone that likes to be near all the sights but in a more quiet location. The wine and cheese in afternoon is very nice and works well if you don't have time to eat a big dinner before dashing off to the theater.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Library Hotel? Share your experiences!