“QUITE SIMPLY DO NOT STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“QUITE SIMPLY DO NOT STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Perfect! I cannot commend the Library Hotel and it's most wonderful staff enough.
Absolutely everyone there, without exception, was the most kind, caring and attentive of people. The room was beautiful, the location perfect.
Faultless, just faultless.
If the hospitality industry in New York ever want to show how it is done, present the Library Hotel and the people at the heart of it. x

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I've just spent four nights at the Library Hotel. I also booked two further rooms for my elderly parents and in laws. It was ideal for both generations of people for many reasons.

I won't restate what has been written elsewhere, but the free wine reception, excellent wifi, turndown, and exceptionally friendly service can't go unnoticed. The breakfast is also good but they don't have a kitchen, so cooked items (like omelettes and bacon) aren't available. The bathrooms are spacious for Manhattan and the best are nice and firm.

The older members of our party had a number of needs and these were all addressed with precision and friendliness. This included having coffee machines in their room, special earplugs, booking shows and being given exact directions. This was also they week that my partner and I got married. On the night of the service a bottle of champagne from the hotel appeared in our room.

I've stayed in many hotels around the world and this ranks very highly in terms of attention to detail, cleanliness, availability of staff (including running down Madison to get you a cab) and prompt service. Oh, and very well located. This hotel is not really geared towards kids, however.

Room Tip: Upper floors (9 and above) are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This was our first visit to New York (and not the last). We chose the Library on the trip advisor reviews and the whole experience was outstanding.
The hotel offers complimentary amenities which includes continental breakfast buffet every morning, an evening wine and cheese reception, 24 hr refreshments, evening turn down service with bottled water and Belgium chocolates, what more can one ask for!!!
The staff and service were fantastic and couldn’t do enough for us. The adjoining restaurant Madison and Vine was excellent, and because of its popularity would advise to book.
The hotel is convenient and in walking distance for most of the top attractions.
We had an amazing time in New York and would definitely return to the Library.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Trumbull, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hi,

I have written a very positive review of the Library Hotel in the past and what I wrote then remains true. This is a lovely hotel with a great staff in an excellent location.
So what is the problem?

Sadly, like so many other hotels that forgot their roots, success has gone to the heads of management. I was looking for two rooms on a weekend in June for one night and was told that too bad, we have a two night minimum. I don't want two nights and as a previous customer, I would expect that they would want to continue to keep my business. Apparently, they could not care less. You hear the obligatory and quite frankly fake, "We are sorry." but, and there is always a "but" we have our policies...blah blah blah... What nonsense. Anger your patrons and they will go elsewhere because there is competition. So, when things are slower, guess where I will NOT be staying.

As I said, this is a fine hotel but I strongly recommend that you look elsewhere until management, if you can call it that, wakes up and gets rid of these dumb minimums. There arre plenty of great options in midtown at all price ranges whio would be happy to let you stay.

The sickness of greed is everywhere, it will only be cured when you refuse to fall prey to it. Just my opinion.

Room Tip: Do not be lured into a two night minimum stay. If you want one night find a place that will accomoda...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Ivana B, General Manager at Library Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Fluffernetto,

Thank you for sharing your perspective on your recent experience with our Reservation Desk. Whether it’s the experience before, during, or after your stay, we strive to convey how tremendously grateful we are for our guests. I am terribly sorry that you were so upset about our minimum stay requirement. This common hotel procedure is done to maximize our availability, and most definitely not done to deter business and certainly not to upset anyone . While we sincerely wish we had unlimited rooms to accommodate each and every request, unfortunately, with only 60 rooms, it is essential for us to manage the demand for the very few rooms we have. Again, the last thing we would ever want is to anger any of our guests or make them think we’re greedy and if you felt this was not explained in a kind way that showed we were as disappointed as you were not to be able to book Saturday night only. I do apologize and we will work on those skills for future callers.

We pride ourselves on providing unparalleled hospitality, however our continual success depends on a myriad of business decisions that we must make each day. Our hotel, like most other successful hotels in the world, often use minimum stay restrictions on certain peak days of the week in order to avoid being sold out on one particular night and left with too many empty rooms the night before and or on the night after. In New York City, one of those days is always Saturday. If we allowed all 60 rooms to be sold on Saturday, leaving a majority of rooms available on Friday and Sunday, what explanation would we give to travelers calling wanting to arrive on Thursday and depart on Monday? As you can see it would be impossible for us to accommodate multiple night requests. Additionally, I have the responsibility of maximizing our occupancy and looking out for the best interests of the business to benefit my fellow employees, not to mention the owner as well, by running a healthy business. I do hope my explanation has set you at ease and if you would like to discuss the matter further, I invite you to contact me at robert@libraryhotel.com.

To the members of TripAdvisor looking to stay with us, if we do have a restriction in place we want to work with you to make your stay possible! We are always willing to suggest alternative dates that do not have a restriction; or recommend accommodation at one of our three NYC sister hotels; or add you to our wait list should anything change. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming each and every one of you!

Best regards,
Robert Rawlins
(212) 204-5410
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Really top class hotel in a great location in Midtown , quirky but nice staff. Free drinks in the evening and a lovely terrace bar . Rooms are a little bigger than the norm, ours had a view down Madison ave. easy walk to Central Park and central to everything in New York .

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Wonderful rooms, brilliantly service from lovely staff and prime location. What more could you want? Cheese and wine every evening? Books in every space? Rooftop terrace? It's all there. Air con and double glazing along with comfy beds mean a good nights sleep despite the bustle and the horns of the yellow cabs

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

The location and service were simply the best I ever experienced in NY!

The hotel is very charming and all the staff always friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is superb: The coffee is great, they even serve Nutella - my favorite - fresh fruit and prepare oatmeals or toasted bagels for you -> seriously, I was in breakfast heaven.
The wine & cheese reception in the evening was just the perfect thing to look forward to after a day in the city. White wine, red wine, Prosecco and a selection of cheese, nuts, fruit and crackers - all lovely arranged and refilled all the time.

I stayed here for a week with my dad and boyfriend and my dad simply loved it. My boyfriend and I are more into modern design hotels, but still loved the library concept :)
So when you are traveling with "older" people (e.g. parents or grandparents) and wine lovers this hotel is THE place to stay in the hectic city of NY.

The rooms are ok for NY - I've booked a deluxe room for my dad and would definitely recommend this room size because the petite room is quite small for 2 people. However, that's mostly the case in NY so nothing really to complain.
The shower is excellent and the bathroom quite spacious (compared to the size of the room).
The rooms were very clean, an iPhone docking station was provided as well as a good blow-dryer (the most essential thing for a woman in a hotel :).

I was missing a gym in the basement, but with Central Park so close I didn't really mind :)
Lots of NY hotels have a gym partnership and I guess the Library Hotel does, too, but I still prefer a small workout room in the basement ;)

I would definitely recommend this hotel - I've stayed at the Dream Hotel in NY, the mAVE and the Yotel and I must say that the Library Hotel was BY FAR the best pick.
So go for it :)