“I shouldn't tell you about this gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“I shouldn't tell you about this gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I am a requent traveler to New York City, and whenever I can, I stay at the Library Hotel on 41st Street, just off Madison. It's a small boutique hotel with impeccable service, cosy and well-appointed rooms (with lots of plugs for electronics) and the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever encountered. The theme is books - and there are book collections in every room plus the second floor breakfast and lounging room, which is like being in a New York brownstone. A lot of the clientele are from abroad, and it's easy to strike up conversations over breakfast (continental and included), tea and cookies or fruit (available all day) or the free wine and cheese offered in the early evening. It's a bibliophile's paradise, and very conveniently located to Grand Central Station, the New York Public Library, the theater district and mid-town. The concierge has always given me a great dinner recommendation. And after your first visit, the staff treats you like an old friend. I'd move in if I could!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My new wife & I ( married on the day we arrived in new York) stayed at the library hotel for 3 nights from Monday 18th march. From the point we contacted the hotel to let them know we would be checking in late @ 1am & asking them to arrange a car pick up their service has been 5* and I'm a very picky individual. The employees are all genuinely warm & welcoming, nothing is ever too much trouble. The location is amazing, just around the corner from grand central station & Bryant park. We ended up getting the metro & air train to jfk. Subway ride was$2.75 & the AirTrAin is $5. Our advice is to use the metro journey planner as it saved our feet a lot & we consider ourselves fit too!

I researched this hotel a lot and advise you to book through the hotels website directly and use the booklovers deal where you get 20% off for paying straight away. The breakfast is top notch & they even had take away cup options which was a bonus.

We are returning here in 8 days & can't wait to see everyone again. If you like a historic hotel with a great bar & restaurant you must stay here. There was no other hotel we could see that was more suited to us.

P.s try the deli next door, they are so friendly and the sandwiches are fab!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

It was probably because the two of us chose the tiniest room option, but the petite room was truly the smallest room I have ever stayed in (smaller than Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs, I guarantee you). There was space enough in the room for a twin-sized bed and a desk, and perhaps a foot of space between the bed and the television/fridge/closet. The bathroom was fine in size; the tub and toilet separated from the sink by a door.

Nonetheless, the one thing I cannot fault this hotel with is its prime location in the absolute center of everything. It is practically on the doorsteps of the New York Public Library and Bryant Park, a handy location to serve as a starting point to any excursion throughout Manhattan. A stroll right down the hotel's street (Madison Ave) or a skip down to the next parallel street (Fifth Ave) brings you to all the shops and brand names you might want in your closet.

The bed was soft enough and my favorite part was that the hotel offers DVDs (of the top 100 films and some others) for your enjoyment for free. Breakfast was provided for free, but there is also a great (and very cheap) Japanese food court-esque place a few doors down, Cafe Zaiya, which has amazing selections of pastries, drinks, and foods.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Library Hotel for the first time this past week. I wish all hotels provided such great service. Although our visit was short they made us feel very special. I especially loved all the little extras like the wine and cheese in the evening and tea and pastries in the afternoon. I will definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Fantastic find which I absolutely cannot fault. Staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms were immaculate, complimentary breakfast and evening cheese and wine reception were a lovely bonus. Great central location but really quiet compared to other hotels I have stayed at. Will definitely return and would recommend hotel to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor facing south and it was grand.
Hadlyme, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this week we love this place! We have stayed at all of their other hotels and they all have great service and European charm but the Library is our favorite for the location and the book themed rooms. The Dewey Decimal room numbers, the breakfast, the wine and cheese in the afternoon and fantastic staff, wish we could have stayed longer. The building is so interesting if you look at it from the Madison Ave side it looks very narrow but inside feels spacious and the books everywhere give it a comfortable homelike feel. Such great design! Plus did I mention location, location, location!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 6 nights.
We stayed in the petite room- the room was small but that was expected.
Complimentary breakfast and cheese & wine in the evening.
Great location!
Only thing we didn't enjoy was the fact the bed was hard.
But other then that we can not fault this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Di-XOX,

Thank you for sharing your rave review! I have made a note on your guest profile that next time you stay we will be glad to have a foam or feather mattress topper on the bed for you to soften your bed and suit your preferences. I wish we had known while you were here as we could have handled that in minutes, but I thank you for mentioning this now. Your comment gives me the opportunity to let all of our future guests and members of the TripAdvisor community know that we recently launched a sleep program offering a range of amenities such as feather bed mattress toppers, pillows, extra blankets and sleep aids to help our guests get a better night’s sleep. I’m sorry if these options were not effectively communicated to you. Since it would appear you did not notice our in-room signage, I would love to hear your thoughts on how we could have made it more visible to you. We are currently trying to come up with ideas on how we can ensure every guest knows about all of the complimentary amenities available to help make every stay with us more comfortable.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon. Now that I’ve already taken the liberty of adding some bedding options to your profile, the next time you’re with us you will have a nice fluffy bed waiting for you. I hope to hear from you soon!

All the best,
Robert Rawlins
Director of Sales & Marketing
Robert@libraryhotel.com

Been to Library Hotel? Share your experiences!