“A great place to stay to celebrate NYE!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 458 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay to celebrate NYE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We chose the Library Hotel from the reviews on this site and were not disappointed. The trip over New Year had originally been booked to celebrate my boyfriend's 40th birthday, but became a double celebration as we recently got engaged. On arrival to our room, we were pleasantly surprised to find a bottle of Proseco waiting for us with a congratulations card - a lovely touch.

The Library Hotel is well placed in midtown Manhattan. Just 10 mins walk from the centre of Times Square (down 42nd Street) or the Empire State Building (straight down 5th Ave). The traffic noise can be a bit of a pain (our room overlooked Madison Ave) but didn't disrupt our sleep.

The front desk was very helpful in booking tours and also providing recommendations for dinner. The staff around for breakfast and afternoon cheese and wine were always friendly, polite and helpful - even recognised us after the second day and asked if we wanted our bagels toasted!

The complimentary evening wine and cheese reception is a great benefit and allows you the time to catch your breathe from a day of sightseeing, before heading out for the evening. The 24-hour complimentary tea/coffee is also very good, especially as in-room tea and coffee is not offered.

We also had dinner at the Madison & Vine restaurant - lovely food and great service.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to avoid street noise - inevitable in midtown Manhattan. Large corner rooms ove...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I wavered between 4 and 5 stars, but I would have to say that my stay was excellent, but my after experience dropped it to a 4. The Library is a great hotel in NYC. Located near Bryant Park, Grand Central, and of course the NY Public Library. It's a great spot because you can get anywhere else in the city pretty quickly. The hotel itself is really beautiful - the design is great and everything down to the tiniest detail revolves around books. Being a giant book nerd, I was in love. I was upgraded to a little bit of a nicer room, and the room was amazing. I was one away from my favorite type of books - mystery - but I still enjoyed the Fairy Tale room. The room amenities are really nice (except the tv is tiny, so go read a book), the rooms are quiet, and the beds are super comfy.

The staff is amazing as well. Everyone was very helpful and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. They routinely gave me directions, shared warm greetings, and when I came back from the office at 10pm having had no dinner, they made up an amazing fruit and cheese plate for me.

My only issue was after my stay. I left my phone charger behind the bed side table, and immediately noticed the evening after I checked out (as I was in another hotel and charger-less). I called the next morning and spoke to a girl at reception. Though she said she'd look for the charger and get back to me asap..that didn't happen. I never heard from her and had to write an email to the manager. He then called me the next day and said the charger was nowhere to be found. Apparently someone had now checked in (2 days after i left) and the charger was gone. I'm bummed because I feel like this could have been avoided if they hadn't dropped my first request. And I'm assuming someone is selling my charger on ebay..great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Sarahktsl,

I’m disappointed to hear your experience with us was tarnished after you had such a wonderful stay. We strive to create a memorable and enjoyable experience at the Library Hotel from the moment you make your reservation to well after you depart. I am truly sorry we were not able to locate your phone charger. On a daily basis we coordinate with guests to reunite them with forgotten shoes, jewelry, laptops, phones and more. Unfortunately in this case the maid who serviced your room after your departure did not find any left behind items. I see you departed Friday and contacted us on Saturday, after a new guest checked into the room. Nothing was left in lost and found and just in case the maid missed it we wanted to wait until the next day for the guest to check-out and inspect the room again which is when we contacted you.

Your call was received by the Front Desk and they followed the proper procedures by checking with housekeeping immediately, however because the room was occupied, our staff had to wait until the next day when the guest checked out to double check. We don’t want to leave anyone waiting and so we should have been more forthcoming that this would take until the next day to to do the job right. I can appreciate that waiting for our reply was frustrating given that you needed this item for your travels. Getting the guest perspective helps remind us how important it is to improve our response time in the future.

I hope you look back on your trip fondly overall. If you or anyone of our future guests has questions regarding or lost and found policies and procedures, or if I may be of service in any other way, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Robert Rawlins
Director of Sales & Marketing
robert@libraryhotel.com
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I returned to The Library hotel for a stay over Christmas and was not disappointed. I wasn't sure if they could make my stay as pleasurable as last year but indeed they did! I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. From the moment you enter the delightful reception area you know you are in a 'home from home'. The rooms have everything you need and the bed is bliss. I slept very soundly waking relaxed and ready for NYC each day. The staff at breakfast are a joy, nothing is too much trouble. This is the place to stay in Manhattan for comfort and genuine warmth from the staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Library for the second time last week. The location in mid-town is great for getting around, the free breakfast is in a cozy, comfortable room, the staff is helpful and friendly and the rooms are modern and comfortable (and clean). We stayed in a Queen room both times and there isn't much room to maneuver in there, so I imagine that the Full rooms are tiny. But we really like this hotel and will definitely stay again next time we visit. It is nice to be in a smaller hotel a bit out of the Times Sq. craziness.

Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We elected to stay at the Library Hotel for our recent visit to NYC during Christmas because of its location and excellent reviews. We were not disappointed. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprise to learn that our accommodation requests were met. The Library Hotel is the perfect sanctuary in Midtown within walking distance to key attractions. Yet when you are at the Library hotel you feel at home and disconnected from the hustle and bustle. We loved the quaintness of the property. The entire team at the Library Hotel is exceptional, especially at the front desk, breakfast service and housekeeping. They are friendly, graceful and attentive without being intrusive. They are all truly professional!

Pros: The Library Hotel positives include:
Excellent location
Exceptional service
Complimentary continental breakfast buffet
Complimentary evening wine and cheese reception
24 hour complimentary selection of coffee, teas, cookies and fruit
Cleanliness – property was maintained and clean.

Cons/Suggestion: There are only two things that were not seamless. The Wi-Fi was not reliable. During our stay 9:30am seem to be a popular time for breakfast and the hotel seemed occupied to capacity during the Christmas holiday. Our party consisted of two couples in separate rooms. We would decide what time to meet for breakfast at the end of each evening. Coincidently it was at 9:30am most mornings – a very busy time. When we arrived at breakfast there were usually no tables available at all. There are only five (5) tables that seat 4 or more and all the other tables are two tops. Each morning most, if not all, of the large tables were occupied by only two guests. My in-laws insisted on sitting together for breakfast which created confusion and disrupted the tranquility of the room. The attendants were very attentive and immediately offered trays to take up to the rooftop terrace. However this is not very practical for older guests. In order to maximize resources, my suggestion to the hotel is to implement table reservations during high occupancy.

Overall, we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The Logic room is located in the corner away from the elevator and has a foyer and full length mirro...
Kew Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Staff very attentive and helpful Also our room delightful with a view of the public library which is a truly inspiring place to visit Good location for walking everywhere but also very close to grand central to access all other areas New York Restaurant next door had good meals with great steak close by. Books abound if you have time to put your feet up with so much to do here. All in all we would return but might stay in the smaller rooms as you only need to sleep there, but the larger room was glorious as was the readily available nibbles and wine from 4 pm You can't go wrong staying here! Only downside might be if you eat very late you may need to cab to other parts NY with more night life

• Stayed November 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at the Library a number of years ago and was quite satisfied, so decided to come back on a recent visit to NYC...the Library was still as pleasant as I remembered, albeit our room ('botany--500.04') was quite small. Great location, steps from Grand Central. Front desk staff very courteous and attentive. If you check in on foursquare, you get a complementary bottle of wine. Plus, a fan of the wine and cheese hour in the Reading Room (free) and breakfast (free). The room was ~$340 around the holidays. There is a great selection of top movies that can be borrowed also, in addition to the books in the room if you're interested in your room's 'topic' (based on the library catalog system)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Library Hotel? Share your experiences!