“Great Birthday Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #3 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Library for his 40th Birthday after we were recommended the hotel.. The hotel was helpful before my stay with questions about the trip, and they advised us and booked resturants while we were there. The staff were great and we got a card and a bottle of wine for my partner, which was a nice touch. It was great to have 24hr refreshments and the cheese and wine were great, and there was plenty on offer!! The upstairs bar was also nice to have a drink in. The location was great, and we both had a fab time. Wifi was also included. The only downside was the room was quite small, and there are quite a few taxes on top of the room rate. This by no means ruined our trip and we would recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We booked the Library Hotel to avoid staying at the Grand Hyatt where our conference was headquartered, as we are not fond of convention hotels. And we are glad we did. A mere two blocks away, but oceans apart in feel and comfort. We loved the unique quality of each room; ours had a bay window with views up and down Madison Avenue and over 41st Street to the New York Public Library. The "reading room" where complimentary wine and cheese, and breakfast, are served was a great bonus. I am an early riser, so I padded down there to fix myself a cappucino from the always-on machine, and to work without disturbing my spouse. The free Wi-Fi was also part of a great deal. The staff was very friendly. We definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: The rooms facing Madison Avenue have the best views, and any street noise can be dealt with by switc...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
High Bridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Library is a beautiful modern hotel. They upgraded us from the Petite room to a larger room, and it was just fabulous. We stayed in the Dinosaur Room, so I read a book on Dinosaurs in New Jersey--Who knew? The staff was delightful and helpful; they made dinner reservations at a nice Indian restaurant that was actually affordable for midtown. The hotel has an amazing Latte machine in the Reading Room where you can serve yourself 24/4. The breakfast wasn't massive, but was good, with sweat rolls, yogurt, cereals and a great latte.We enjoyed hanging out, reading the paper and drinking lattes. The upstairs Poetry garden would be especially nice in the summer. I loved the painted murals in the stairwells. Overall, the Library was a wonderful experience and we hated to leave. I would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Dinosaur Room was nice, it was on the 5th floor and faced south. It was pretty quiet except for the...
Faimes, Liege, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Perfect situation and staff, clean, comfortable, with a lot of little attentions. Cheese and wine is a real pleasure to end the afternoon.

General atmosphere is ideal to rest o the city.

Just one thing to improve : the continental breakfast is a bit weak compared to the top level of this hotel.

Room Tip: queen deluxe was perfect
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011 via mobile

A terrific hotel in a really handy location. The rooms are very small (as you would expect) but very nicely done and without any 'cheese'.

We arrived in the middle of the early snow storm and the hotel felt like such a haven, especially the reading room.

The team makes it though and all seemed perfectly hand picked for their roles. Jessica on the front desk is charming but with enough personality to not be bland.

The guys on the door all get the job just right and the ladies at breakfast & wine time remember you & make you feel like a friend after your first visit.

We loved it & would highly recommend to anyone. A smashing little hotel deserving of it's rating.

• Stayed October 2011
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay last Sunday though at 1 night it was way too short. We were drawn by its location and reasonable prices for a midtown hotel - 1 block from Grand Central Terminal, 1 block from the Public Library and Bryant Park and walking distance to the Theater District were great draws. Our room on the 12th floor was minimalist and small but clean, comfortable, quiet and well appointed. The TV was smallish but with so many books around, we didn't need it The staff was welcoming, courteous and helpful we had no problems storing our luggage due to our early arrival and late departure. After checkout we had a few hours to kill before our evening flight out but we were still invited to spend time in the Reading Room and enjoy the wine and cheese reception. We will certainly consider returning our next time in NYC, hopefully for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, quiet room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

maybe I'm being a bit tough but I didn't enjoy this hotel as much as i expected. Positives- great location in mid town area for tourists. Concierge Bill kindly pre-arranged my requested restaurants and staff were friendly. On the downside, everything is a bit miniature even for a petite woman. Yes, it's NY and I was staying in a petite single room but I found it a bit claustrophobic. Could never seem to make use of sitting room for breakfast or drinks at night because it too is a small area. Yes, there is a lovely roof top area but with one lift out most of my stay getting up and down to different areas was too slow. I realise breakdowns happen but staff seemed rather unperturbed by the whole thing. I appreciate some people would have had a better experience- mine was just a bit ordinary particularly compared to my stay in Boston (see Lenox Hotel review). Would I stay again, maybe but would probably give somewhere else a go. Even on the 7th floor the street noise from Madison was appalling ? not double glazed and the air conditioning was incredibly noisy- I thought it was next room's shower until I worked it out and turned it off.

Room Tip: maybe even higher
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear lisavenessa,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Library Hotel.

I do understand that a room that can be considered cozy by some, may feel claustrophobic to others. We strive to be completely upfront about the dimensions of our Petite Rooms, with photos and floor plans also available on our website. We even named the room Petite Single so there could be no doubt that the room is small, yet we never want a guest to be uncomfortable and I apologize if you might have felt this way during your stay. The majority of our rooms have either Queen or King Beds and are more spacious. This may be a better option for you if you decide to stay with us again; it would be my pleasure to personally make these arrangements for you.

I will be the first to admit that the Reading Room is a very popular space especially when guests are taking advantage of our complimentary breakfast or three hour wine and cheese reception. We always encourage our guests to share tables and mingle with their fellow travelers but I also know that some prefer the calm of being caught up in a good book. I am happy to share that within the past six months, we have added three tables as well as more chairs. Perhaps we should consider reconfiguring the layout as well to make room for additional seating.

I deeply apologize that our elevator repair stopped you from exploring more of our beautiful Roof Garden. It is not something that happens frequently, but when it does, we certainly try whenever possible to schedule these repairs during off-peak hours.

While most of our guests consider us an oasis of serenity, we know there are others like yourself who are more disturbed by the sounds of the City. We are continually working to chip away at the issue, like our new blackout shades that provide an extra level of buffering. If anyone mentions that they are having a problem with their room, based on availability, we are always happy to accommodate requests for anyone that would like to try out another room. Additionally, we now offer SleepPhones at the Front Desk that can be borrowed and have proven to be very helpful to those who wish to block the environmental noise, and enjoy falling asleep to relaxing, soothing sounds instead.

I hope you will give us another chance and experience a stay in one of our Queen bedded Deluxe Rooms. I would be pleased to reserve a room for you on a high floor and do all I can to ensure your comfort.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly at Lenka@libraryhotel.com

Best regards,
Lenka Hermanova

Been to Library Hotel? Share your experiences!