“The epitome of what a boutique hotel should be-calm, convenient and classy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Library Hotel

You added Library Hotel to your Saves list
Library Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Madison Ave., at 41st St., Entrance on 41st Street, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
TripAdvisor Fans Save 20%
Ranked #3 of 463 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“The epitome of what a boutique hotel should be-calm, convenient and classy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We live in Manhattan but stayed at the Library Hotel for my daughters wedding and had the sunday brunch at the Hotel. We loved the ambience and the library decor but mostly we loved the staff. Family and friends enjoyed the 2nd floor where breakfast was served in the morning but which served the rest of the day as a warm and cozy concierge floor. The 14th floor is a NYC hidden gem set up as a livingroom with beautiful outdoor space. We had the brunch there and everyone was blown away by the atmosphere, Some of our friends went there for cocktails at a different time and were very impressed that such a spot exista in the heart of NYC . Special thanks to Ivana Bolf of the Library Hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Great hotel in good location close to grand central, empire state and fifth avenue.
On booking hotel we requested a quiet room on a high floor which was provided and was really quiet affording a good nights sleep.
This was a replacement honeymoon for us and the hotel also provided a bottle of wine which was a lovely touch
It was lovely having continental breakfast in am and cheese and wine in afternoon when we were around and the use of the computers and free internet was very useful.
Unfortunately we had to cut our holiday short due to a serious illness in the family and the hotel were very kind and even though we had prebooked our stay they did not charge us for the last night. They were also as helpful as they could be in a very emotional situation.
We would definitely stay again.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

Stayed here for 5 days mid May, it was a great location, close to everything. I felt very safe walking the streets at night to get back to this hotel after a night out on Broadway. I probably would not have gone so many times to shows if I hadnt stayed so close to Times Square. I was in a petite room and okay it would have been nice to have at least a double sized bed, the room wasnt as small as you would imagine, I have been in smaller. In fact the bathroom was very large. As my room faced 41st street, there was very little traffic noise. I loved the second floor library room and it was great to come back to the hotel after a day out and grab a pre-theatre snack there or a coffee and biscuits after going out to see a show. Only negatives was that my tv was not receiving all the cable channels that it was meant to (however I never mentioned this to staff) and the beds were a bit too soft. I also did not like that on the day I left I confirmed at the desk that check out was at 1pm, however when I got back to my room at 12.20pm, it had been already cleaned and all my bags had been removed with no notification that they had been taken downstairs. It meant that I had to get luggage out of storage and repack my shopping in the lobby. I would have liked the option to have freshened up in my own room since technically it should have been available up until 1pm.

Room Tip: request the room you want based on the library
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you're looking for a hotel between Soho and Uptown, this is the perfect location. Just 10 minutes from Saks and only a 15 minute cab ride to Soho and Nolita. My teen daughter and I enjoyed staying at The Library in every way. The breakfast was continental and the wine and cheese offered late in the day was perfectly timed between our shopping and evening dining out. If you are concerned about street noise while sleeping, simply pack ear plugs, that's what I did, and I slept as if I were in my own bed. The hotel staff are very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant on the main level offers perfectly steamed asparagus that I highly recommend, although ask for the sauce on the side so you may portion it to your palette. The only thing I would recommend the hotel change, are the floors in the room from carpet to hardwood. I think this would enhance the appearance. Our most memorable dinner was at a cozy Italian restaurant in Nolita on Mott St. Although I do believe that all the restaurants in the Nolita area are treasures not yet discovered by most travelers.

Room Tip: book directly through the hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Naarden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Very nice boutique hotel. We booked after reading other recommendations. We had a junior suite for 4 nights. The room was still not particullary large, but I guess that is New York style anyway. The room had the things we needed, although myself I do not like to shower in the bathtub. Also the power of the water out of the shower was somewhat weak. All rooms have a theme, and our room was Law (306). It looked out on Madison Avenue and through Library street we had a view on 5th Avenue and the Public Library. What is really great about this hotel is the location. You are walking distance from all the shops at 5th Avenue, Central Park (25 min), Empire State Building (10 min), Times Square (15 min). etc. Furtermore Grand Central is behind the corner so all public transport to the other areas are at hand as well, going to eg SOHO takes maybe 20 minutes all together. So you can you really travel around, but also choose to sometimes drop by the hotel to freshen up, unload shopping bags etc. A special note about the service of the employees. I think they were outstanding; advice for nightlife, restaurants, wholing taxis, arranging transportation to airport, really good. Some realism to certain features advertised by the hotel: The breakfast is quite simple. You have your serials, fresh fruit and bagles and that's about it. After 4 days was kind of the maxixmum for me, but for a couple of nights it is fine. The complementory cheese and wine is a nice gesture, although the room where it is served (the same room where you have breakfast) lacks some atmosphere, we did it once, but this can be personal of course. Also the bar at the top floor is I think only nice with good weather. We were there when it rained kind of all the time and then also the top bar is not that nice anymore. Besides those small points, I would certainly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: watch the promotions on their website
Sao Jose Dos Campos, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Fantastic service, good location, great staff. Do I need to say more?

Room Tip: Ask in advance for high floor rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My husband and I booked a 4 night stay in one of the Deluxe rooms at The Library Hotel. From the moment we arrived, the service we received was absolutely fantastic. The staff couldn't have been friendlier, from the waitresses to the housekeeping, and especially the concierge staff who bend over backwards to make sure you're happy and content. From 5-8 every evening they serve complimentary cheese and wine in The Reading Room, overlooking Madison Avenue, and they certainly DON'T scrimp. Choose from Prosecco, white or red wines, and from a selection of cheeses, crudites and oatcakes.
If I have one criticism, it is that the restaurant, Madison & VIne, is overpriced. The service charge is 18% even for 2 diners, and the wines are upwards of $40. However, the only reason we ate there was due to jetlag, and laziness, there are many other places on the same block offering great value nosh.

Room Tip: Check out the Petit Room Doubles for a good deal.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
LibraryHotel, Director of Sales at Library Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Dear frandymond,

Thank you for your feedback. We are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We wanted you and the TA community to know that Madison & Vine is managed under a separate company than the Library Hotel. However, we have discussed the automatic service charge issue with them and they agreed to remove it. From this moment on, diners will not be charged an automatic service charge unless it a group of 6 or more. We hope this helps!

_ Yogini Patel, Honorary Librarian: yogini@libraryhotel.com

Been to Library Hotel? Share your experiences!