“Good basic hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Park Avenue

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel Park Avenue to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Park Avenue
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #333 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good basic hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Had read mixed reviews about this hotel, but I found it fine for my 1 week city break. My room was tiny, but that was not a problem because I didn't spend long in it. It was clean and the bathroom looked brand new. .The a/c was very noisy, breakfast was basic but ok. A choice of 3 cereals, toast, waffles, eggs, sausage, coffee, juice. Staff were excellent. I had my boarding card emailed to the hotel, and the guy on reception printed it out for me. The free wifi also worked fine. Location is perfect. 1 block from subway, easy to get anywhere in Manhattan.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have to rate this as excellent because the staff was just awesome. Helpful, friendly and a delight to work with. Our room was not tried and dingy, as one person wrote in their review. Our breakfast was good, they stored our luggage after check-out until it was time for us to leave for the airport, they got the town car lined up for us to take us to the airport and they told us where to go close by for pizza which ended up being one of our favorite places to eat. The pizza was fantastic. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Yarm, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We booked this hotel through lastminute.com a few months before our trip and got a reasonable deal for our room. Great location in mid-town; walking distance to many attractions including Empire State, Rockefeller centre, Chrysler building, Times Square, Central Park and very close to subway station (2 minute walk). Rooms perfectly clean and cleaned and made up every day. Breakfast is adequate, could be more choice but it's ok for the price. Cookies drinks and tea and coffee served between 4-7pm every day.
Would recommend staying here.

Stayed July 2014
Woodstock, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Rooms are tiny-even by New York standards. The room was clean but the decorations tired and dingy, which made it seem very depressing. The staff were not helpful at all-in particular a young woman on the front desk. However, the hotel does have a great location with the subway close by and lots of restaurants and cafes. Don't bother with the breakfast -even though it is included in the price. It is not an expensive place- but is still not worth the price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Vienna, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We chose this location since we were helping our daughter move into an apartment a block away. If we were tourists, though, the location is very good as the area is very safe and has great public transit and many places to eat.

Staff were very friendly and very helpful, more so than in more expensive hotels in which we have stayed.

The room was tiny and the bathroom was impossible to have two people at once. Bath tub was the tiniest I have ever seen and even the hallways were only 36 inches wide. We stayed in 501 which was on Park Avenue and except for some sirens, we were OK with street noise. AC is a loud unit and while our floor was non smoking, the hallway smelled of smoke from other floors. Breakfast is mediocre but there are so many nearby places so no problem. Valet parking was a great deal at $30 a day, inc. taxes and the room rate was about $200 a night which is very affordable for a clean safe NYC hotel.

If you are on a budget, this is OK but if you are used to large rooms and spaciousness, just be prepared.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kingston, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Had a meeting at nearby Baruch College so I stayed the night at this property. Yes, the rooms are about the size of a Carnival cabin but they are clean and provide everything you'll need to spend the night. The bathroom was one of the smallest I have seen in a hotel but appeared to be newly renovated and was spotless. There were plenty of towels, the usual toiletries and the shower was strong. The bed was comfortable as were the two pillows. The room also had a small night table, a good flat screen TV with remote, an alarm clock and a small closet. Oh, and did I mention that a pretty nice breakfast was included in the deal? The location is great; near the 6 train and surrounded by a good selection of restaurants. All that and a very friendly and professional staff would make me want to return to the Clarion Park Avenue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I have never stayed in such a small room in my life. To get to the tiny bathroom I had to roll across the bed as my suitcase was at the foot of the bedwhich took up any space and there was no where else to put it.
"Welcoming staff" were anything but! I was really struggling with getting my luggage through the door whilst staff looked on (thought maybe being an obvious senior I could have used some help!)
Breakfast was abysmal - the guy that was tending the little "breakfast room "had to finish mopping the floor first. The only positive was they looked after my luggage under lock and key until my shuttle to the airport arrived.
Never again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Clarion Hotel Park Avenue? Share your experiences!