Having read mostly good reviews on the site, we decided to overlook some reviews about the superior and unhelpful attitudes of some of the staff - we really wish we hadnt!
The room was very comfortable with good facilities and a great bathroom and in a great location. Some of the staff were professional and helpful, but we felt badly let down by three things which happened.
We chose the hotel as we understood from the web site that all rooms had bathtubs, and as I have a back problem this was important to us so that I could relax after walking around the city. When we arrived we were allocated a room without bath. When we asked we were changed to another room the next day, which we were pleased about, and were told by staff that they would move us whilst we went out. On our return, it was clear that staff on the next shift had not been informed about the move and as my partner didnt have his passport (although I did and the room was secured with my credit card) we were made to wait 10-15 minutes whilst security came so we could be escorted to our room. When we got up to our room and my partner looked for our passport the security man said it didn’t matter and left without seeing it! The woman on reception who dealt with us was curt and unhelpful. Incidentally, we overheard this same member of staff making uflattering comments about another guest which we felt to be completely unprofessional!
On returning to the hotel on our last night we decided to visit the cellar bar at 10.30 pm. As we waited at the bar, the bar woman came up and said ‘sorry we are closed’, despite the fact that there were other people drinking in the bar. As we left we watched another couple come in and they were served. We complained to staff on the desk who explained that as there was a film in Bryant Park they were trying to stop people using the toilets. We felt this to be a very poor excuse as she only needed to ask to see our door keys . Clearly depsite being dressed up we weren't cool enough for this pretentious 'hotspot'!
On checking out we were presented with a bill of $300 more than the price we had been given on our reservation. When we pointed this out, despite having a copy of the correct bill which we had signed when we arrived, the woman on the desk argued with us and denied that the bill was incorrect. She only changed the bill when she had reluctantly phoned reservations and had the correct price confirmed. This took her two more attempts as she was unsure of how to do this.
We have complained to the hotel on our return to the UK . We were pleased that the manager took the trouble to call us and we have been offered an upgrade and a complimentary night's stay on a future visit - but there's no way we'd go back and wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bryant Park Hotel, NYC’s Fashion Address is nestled conveniently between 5th and 6th avenue across from the famous Bryant Park and a 5 minute walk to Times Square and 5th Ave shopping. Get a glimpse into the Cellar Bar, home to a number of fashion week parties and well known celebrity haunt. We are now offering free in room wired and wireless internet and Open Bar for all hotel guests, Mon – Fri from 5 –6pm. With casual elegance, pristine rooms, impeccable service and complimentary valet parking Friday and Saturday nights, The Bryant Park Hotel staff anxiously awaits your arrival. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Tablet Hotels, Amex, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Bryant Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bryant Park New York City
- Bryant Park Hotel New York