“Hotel great shame about some of the staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Bryant Park Hotel

You added The Bryant Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Bryant Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #7 of 458 Hotels in New York City
UK
“Hotel great shame about some of the staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

Having read mostly good reviews on the site, we decided to overlook some reviews about the superior and unhelpful attitudes of some of the staff - we really wish we hadnt!

The room was very comfortable with good facilities and a great bathroom and in a great location. Some of the staff were professional and helpful, but we felt badly let down by three things which happened.

We chose the hotel as we understood from the web site that all rooms had bathtubs, and as I have a back problem this was important to us so that I could relax after walking around the city. When we arrived we were allocated a room without bath. When we asked we were changed to another room the next day, which we were pleased about, and were told by staff that they would move us whilst we went out. On our return, it was clear that staff on the next shift had not been informed about the move and as my partner didnt have his passport (although I did and the room was secured with my credit card) we were made to wait 10-15 minutes whilst security came so we could be escorted to our room. When we got up to our room and my partner looked for our passport the security man said it didn’t matter and left without seeing it! The woman on reception who dealt with us was curt and unhelpful. Incidentally, we overheard this same member of staff making uflattering comments about another guest which we felt to be completely unprofessional!

On returning to the hotel on our last night we decided to visit the cellar bar at 10.30 pm. As we waited at the bar, the bar woman came up and said ‘sorry we are closed’, despite the fact that there were other people drinking in the bar. As we left we watched another couple come in and they were served. We complained to staff on the desk who explained that as there was a film in Bryant Park they were trying to stop people using the toilets. We felt this to be a very poor excuse as she only needed to ask to see our door keys . Clearly depsite being dressed up we weren't cool enough for this pretentious 'hotspot'!

On checking out we were presented with a bill of $300 more than the price we had been given on our reservation. When we pointed this out, despite having a copy of the correct bill which we had signed when we arrived, the woman on the desk argued with us and denied that the bill was incorrect. She only changed the bill when she had reluctantly phoned reservations and had the correct price confirmed. This took her two more attempts as she was unsure of how to do this.

We have complained to the hotel on our return to the UK . We were pleased that the manager took the trouble to call us and we have been offered an upgrade and a complimentary night's stay on a future visit - but there's no way we'd go back and wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone else.

• Liked — comfortable rooms and good location
  • Disliked — attitude of some staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Londoner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

From the louder than average piped music in the reception, staff wearing trendy, designer-black uniforms, the Braynt Park has more of a nightclub feel about it than your usual hotel.

No expense seems to have been spared fitting out the rooms, Bose sound system, iPod dock, plasma tv putting this way ahead of most hotels. Shame that a bit more money wasn't spent on a bit of sound proofing via the windows. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the summer attractions in the park opposite created a bit of a racket. I returned to my room at 10.30pm (on a Monday) to be greeted by a highly audible noise from the outdoor, free film screening outside. Fortunately, the film ended by 10.45pm and maybe the wooden floor in the room only served to heighten the echoes. However, the noise of sirens, garbage trucks and the like woke me up on several occasions before I gave up at 7am. Maybe that's why they provided earplugs in the room - pity I didn't find them untl I left!

Room and bathroom were certainly big enough, with high ceilings to boot. Breakfast (not included) in the restaurant downstairs was certainly very good (not cheap, though nice when your firm's paying).

Only 2 small elevators served my floor. These get a bit busy around peak time, andhad to let them go a couple of times as they were already full. Would have taken the stairs but for suitcase and bag.

Overall the experience of this hotel was a good one - you couldn't fault the cleanliness or helpfulness of the staff. Don't think I would have justified the cost of staying here though if it wasn't the company paying.

• Liked — modern furnishing and equipment
  • Disliked — outside noise from the street
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

Spent two nights in an 11th floor junior suite at the Bryant Park. Not cheap, but certainly clean, comfortable and with a great bathroom / walk in shower with Molton Brown accessories. Great to have a Bose radio and CD player, better still to have an IPOD dock and speakers, and also to have a unit playing soothing sounds (birdsong, waves, water, thunder) to help one sleep after a transatlantic flight.

However:

1) For $600 a night, wireless Internet access should be free.

2) Beware staying in front rooms on Thursday nights in the summer. Every Friday morning, ABC bring a concert to the park directly opposite, which led to us being disturbed from 2am by unloading trucks, a 6.30am sound check, and loud country music from 7am. Had to give up on the IPOD and TV; had to give up preparing for my business meeting.

The check-out answer to my colleague who had asked for a quiet room and been placed at the front was that this happens every Friday through the summer... which rather missed the point. He was offered an upgrade next time - I'm not sure there will be one.

Nice hotel, good location, pretty views, comfortable rooms otherwise.

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, good location
  • Disliked — Paying $600 a night and being disturbed for much of the night and early morning.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

First time stay at Bryant Park Hotel (06/07) was excellent! The lobby/check-in area is much smaller than other hotels at comparable prices, but it was more than sufficient. The red & brown decor is gorgeous & the front desk staff was extremely helpful & friendly! We had a superior room on the 10th floor that was modern & very clean, with a HUGE bathroom, large tub, comfy bed with awesome pillows & great robes!! For a quick, inexpensive meal, I recommend the very popular Cosmic Diner (8th & 52nd), Good food, hearty portions, but noon rush on weekends felt somewhat Soup Nazi-ish. But hey, it's New York!

• Liked — Clean and modern
  • Disliked — no iron/ironing board in room, no on-floor ice machines
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Hoboken, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

The Bryant Park Hotel is a great place to stay in a location close to Rockefeller Center, 5th Ave. shops and overall midtown sites. I live in NJ but stay here whenever I feel like being in the city and enjoying the clubs and NY experience. When financially possible, stay in the Bryant Park suites which have a great view to Bryant Park and (some have 2 bathrooms) and all suites have flat screen tvs in both the bedroom and living room. I've stayed in rooms on the 20th, 21st, 14th and 16th floors. Keep in mind that ALL the rooms are unique and some even have terraces overlooking the city!

The decor is quite modern, so if you're looking for a traditional hotel do NOT stay here. Models and fashion executives stay here during Fashion Week for easy access to the Bryant Park fashion shows. The bed is comfortable, the bathroom is fantastic with separate shower and large bathtub if you wish to have a nice, hot bath after your long day in the city, The staff is great and can accomodate all needs and special requests. I love the bathrobes and I'm now hooked to the Molton Brown bathroom amenities which you can find at Saks Fifth Avenue or the Molton Brown store in midtown Manhattan.

The minibar is well stacked with all your favorite spirits - albeit somewhat expensive. Bring your iPod to enjoy the iPod stereo system in the bedroom. Room service food is above any hotel standards and includes sushi rolls, chicken dishes and your basic american cuisine.

This is a fantastic hotel, catering to those who desire modern decor and ambiance in a "hot spot" setting for a fabulous night in NY!!

• Liked — The modern decor, rooms overlooking Bryant Park, customer service
  • Disliked — No spa in the hotel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

Wow, this a great hotel! I paid $299 for a room that was large and perfectly furnished. Great bathroom as well (size and Molton Brown products!!). Unlike the W - which is the hotel I usually use - it was clean and kept up (the W in Times Square always has rooms that are so fithly and damaged by previous guests). The staff were super friendly and very competent. This will be my NYC hotel going forward. It's so much better, I'm willing to forego the SPG points!

Stayed June 2007
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2007

The Bryant Park Hotel was a terrific choice for my one-night trip to NYC. Why?

1. Great location: Especially good if you're taking the train into town and traveling light, as I was. You can easily walk to the hotel from both Penn and Grand Central Station. It was also great to be right across the street from Bryant Park on a beautiful spring day -- the perfect place to take a break to read your book or have a cup of coffee.

2. A very spacious and comfortable room with an enormous bathroom, with both tub and shower. I was in a Deluxe room on one of the mid-level floors, so lots of sunlight. The bed was extremely comfortable, and there was an iPod player.

3. Security. You have to show your room key at all times to get to the guest elevators.

What would I change?
1. Room decor. The bare white walls had the feel of a dorm room, without even posters to add a little visual interest. The traditional tan/cream marble used in the bath didn't seem to match the rest of the decor.

2. The complete lack of a lobby. I don't even remember any chairs in the reception area. I'm not quite sure where you would sit and wait for someone; maybe in the restaurant?

With a one-night stay, I didn't have much of a chance to assess service, but I'm inclined to go back.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Spartan room decor
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Bryant Park Hotel? Share your experiences!