“Super modern, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bryant Park Hotel

You added The Bryant Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Bryant Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #7 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Milford, CT
“Super modern, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

This is the most modern-style hotel I've ever seen. The staff was great, even let us check in early, but the hotel itself just wasn't really our style. Very art deco and cold, but clean. When I needed an ironing board, it took the staff about 2 minutes to bring me one, which was great. The bar downstairs was beautiful, but seemed to have that young club-hopping crowd. Great view of the park across the street, and super close to all the great sites in mid-town. It wasn't especially romantic and I did not see one guest over the age of 45 there. But its great, if that's what you like.

• Liked — Great staff, really clean
  • Disliked — Too art deco/modern, cold-looking
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We stayed at the bryant park for four nights in sept and absolutely loved it. The location is absolutely perfect, just a few blocks from times square yet set around a tranquil park, a really peaceful haven in the hustle and bustle of this city.
We were upgraded to a junior suite which was a lovely bonus and the staff couldnt do more to help us. We ate in the restaurant where the food was great and the service good and we drank and danced in the cellar bar which was great although the cocktails were very pricey.
Adrienne, the concierge sorted a few nights out for us and got us on the gust list to some of the hottest night clubs which was a great service in a city you dont know.
Overall, I cant reccommend this hotel enough, we certainly werent disappointed.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Stayed three nights in a large suite with a lovely terrace. I love the Bryant Park area and the view of the park from our terrace was spectacular. Also hosted a small gathering of friends in the room. The catering staff was superb, from set-up to clean-up. They provided a delicious assortment of hors d'ouevres, beautifully presented. Yes, it was expensive, but worth it. I found the staff friendly and helpful at every turn. I loved the minimalist, modern decor, although I realize that is not for everyone. Shower was heavenly!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our weekend stay to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary at the Bryant Park Hotel. We were very impressed by our room and the staff. We got a great deal through Expedia too. (Tip:" Expedia does not mention that the hotel does not accept Discover Credit card for any incidentals when you check in".) We did not have another card on hand, so the staff worked with us and allowed us to leave cash. Don't be fooled by the very plan hallways. (White walls ,brown carpeting and no artwork or anything else on the walls) Our room was clean and big with lots of windows, even two in the bathroom. Our bathroom was unbelievable. It was huge. My husband and I are big fans of a great shower and we were not dissapointed. There were two shower heads with ridiculous pressure. We didnt want to get out. The room came with a flat screen tv and a bowes radio. They both worked very well. The location was great. (Just a few blocks from Time Square). There is a mini bar, but as expected prices are high. Saturday morning after drinking late we both NEEDED a drink and had to take one of the Iced Teas from the bar. We were charged $6.50 for the one. My advice would be to buy water or any other drinks in advance. Friday night we were all over the city, but when we got back to the hotel we were'nt ready to go to sleep yet. We headed downstairs to the club "Cellular" in the hotel. It was decent in size,kinda small, but very empty. Maybe about 10 people in the place. The drinks were also quite pricy. (I got a Budlight and my husband, a vodka cranberry, total cost= $22.00 +tip) Maybe they charge a little more for the show. Two half dressed girls were up on these platforms behind the bar dancing. Nothing skanky or anything though. The elevators were dark with padded red walls. They play techno music as you ride to your floor. Unfortunately we never made it to the park, but the view from our room was great. If you like Fondue and great Martini's try "Dip".(416 3rd Ave. Between 29th & 30th Street.) It is pretty dark in there and the music is somewhat loud. It was what we were looking for for a late night snack and drink. If you're looking for a quiet romantic dinner, this place is not for you. I would have to say that I think the Bryant Park hotel was just what we were looking for. This place is targeted for a younger crowd or anyone who likes Modern style furnishing and a club like atmosphere.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff, Large & Clean room,Large bathroom, great shower.
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Tips/Secrets — breakfast at the corner store steps away "Wholesome Foods"?(not100% sure of the name) is a lot cheaper than the overpriced room service.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arlington VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

I stayed 3 nights with my fiance over labor day weekend. We had a junior suite, room 1406, for $339 per night. That seems to be a pretty good rate for this hotel and has maybe colored my impressions of value (which is very favorable)

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay.

Most of the reviews I've seen capture the essence of the place, so I'll focus on things I haven't seen mentioned.

The room was larger than expected with huge windows that actually opened to a limited extent - the lower pane slid up about 5 inches (presumably limited so children can't squeeze through). You don't often see this feature on the 14th floor, and it's nice to let the air in sometimes.

The floor in our room was wood (actually pergo) which was a really nice change from hotel carpeting and I think added a lot to the airy, comfortable feel of the room.

This was the week before fashion week, so they were building the tents across the street in Bryant Park. Even though they worked through the night, the noise was tolerable and no worse than many midtown hotels. I can imagine this might be a really quiet hotel for a street-facing room in midtown if you don't come immediately before or during fashion week.

This was a smoking room. When we arrived, it was a little smoky so I called the desk. Housekeeping arrived within 3 minutes with some air freshener and told us they would put an ionic cleaner in the room while we went to lunch - when we returned it was very fresh smelling without a trace of cigarette smoke. The hotel has a very strict policy about smoking in non-smoking rooms with a $500 penalty for doing so, which I was told about on check in (although it didn't apply to this smoking room). I chose the smoking room because we had arrived early (at noon) and it was all that was available unless we wanted to wait until regular check in time. It was also on a high floor - the clerk told me that floors 6 - 12 are non-smoking and 14-16 are smoking.

Didn't try the restaurant as we had other plans each night. Location is fantastic.

Best surprises: the really friendly, laid back staff; the size and airiness of the junior suite room (at least large and airy by Manhattan standards)

Most disappointing: the mystery of the sometime there, sometimes not doorman; the small size and lack of public space in the lobby.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff, large rooms
  • Disliked — Small lobby with little public space
  • Tips/Secrets — There will be some construction noise the week before fashion week
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia/New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

We stayed at the Bryant Park Hotel for 4 nights for our honeymoon, and we had a great time. We stayed in a Junior suite on the 20th floor that had a huge balcony overlooking the park; the room was nicely decorated (minimalist but appealing), the bath was huge and the chocolate covered fortune cookies were a nice treat after hours on the plane. I can't remember the room number (2004?), but if you can make sure you get a room with a front-facing view of the park, rather than a corner suite that only has a small balcony space. The staff were courteous and helpful. The Cellar bar was good; the drinks were expensive, but complimentary cocktail vouchers made my Cosmopolitan very appealing. We didn't order room service, because the prices were outrageous, so every morning we went across to the park and bought coffee (and soup) from the food kiosks. We spent hours and hours choosing a hotel and hoping that we had chosen well, and we weren't disappointed. All in all staying at the Bryant only enhanced the memorable time we had in New York.

• Liked — the view over the park
  • Disliked — no coffee machine
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

I just spent a weekend at the Bryant Park with my girlfriend and I thought it was quite good.

First, we booked one of the package rooms that included American breakfast, a slightly larger room with a view and a late check-out. I would say that the room was not particularly large, but did have three large windows at the corner of the building and two more in a very spacious and well appointed bathroom. It was every bit as a large as many a Manhattan studio apartment. This package rate was $340 + tax. For the $450 room someone below had, I would expect they would be in a suite. And the standard room was around $250.

Second, I found the decor to be nice, standard American modern. Hardly chilly, but then not B&B comfy. Some of the furnishings were Ikea-esque, though not substandard. And as the previous poster said, yes there was no "art" on the walls, but we had huge windows overlooking Midtown Manhattan on two walls and a large plasma TV on another. That seems a strange complaint.

The plusses: the location was ideal, the staff was helpful and professional, the bathroom was incomparable, the lobby and building architecture were great.

The minuses: the only eating option in the hotel in the morning was breakfast in the room. If you didn't want to pay that expense, you were sort of out of luck in the hotel itself, though Midtown Manhattan isn't exactly without the food options of, say, smalltown Arizona. That being said, the room service b'fast was timely and quite large. The aforementioned $80 breakfast was priced at $26, though probably gets to $80 with tip and tax for two, which included two eggs, bread in any form you like, tasty potato croquettes, juice, coffee, a mimosa and water. Hardly being ripped off for $26. This is room service in New York -- I've paid that much for a cinnamon roll and coffee elsewhere.

Being local, we did not use their concierge services for anything so I cannot comment on it. I think the hotel has a "cool" feel and like it might be trying a bit too hard. As a consequence, I think it's being judged a little too harshly. If it were understated and cute, I think the same result would be given a bit more lenience by reviewers.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Bryant Park Hotel? Share your experiences!