“A luxury hotel which made our holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bryant Park Hotel

You added The Bryant Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Bryant Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #6 of 458 Hotels in New York City
London
“A luxury hotel which made our holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

As a special present for my partner’s birthday I decided to book a trip to New York. Having never been to America before I wanted to learn as much as I could about New York before we left England.

When looking at holidays I tend to do a lot of research into the place I am going to. This leads to late nights over the computer screen and headaches from looking into things. Using advice from Trip Advisor and various other hotel review sites I came to the conclusion that I wanted us to stay in the Bryant Park Hotel. The key factors in choosing this particular hotel were: location and luxury. As I said, having never been to America before I wanted to treat ourselves!

I used Expedia to book our flights and hotel. The site gave us a choice of rooms and options. I requested a Deluxe Queen room with View (a view of Bryant Park) and for the room to be a non-smoking one. Once booked, I had to wait 6 weeks until our holiday. We were looking forward to it.

Nearer to departure from England, I emailed the hotel with a couple of questions regarding check in. I not only received a quick and polite response to my questions but also was told that we would be upgraded to a Junior Suite room. A very nice surprise, i’ve never received a complimentary room upgrade before.

On arriving at the hotel our bags were taken and we were checked in by a welcoming front desk. We were served by a guy who told us everything about the room, the hotel and events going on that evening. Having checked in, we then got taken up to our room (in the very funky red lit elevators). The room was lovely and such a welcome sight after a long journey. The room was large and the bathroom was a good size too. It was a nicely equipped room too with a decent sized TV screen hanging on the wall, a Bose radio and an iPod docking station. Oh and Molton Brown products in the bathroom, to my partner’s delight. Our room was on the 8th floor and we had good views of Bryant Park, the New York Public Library and the newly completed Bank of America tower.

After a good day of sightseeing the following day, we went to the hotel’s Cellar Bar. As guests we were entitled to free drinks between 5 and 6pm. A bonus! I enjoyed having Nastro Azzurro while sitting in a intimate and social bar. The bar has a gothic style ceiling and moody lighting to match. We both enjoyed making conversation with other hotel guests. Good music too. The hotel also has a restaurant. While we did not go into it, it did seem popular and I have seen a number of favourable reviews of it on the net.

Sometimes when you read about a luxury hotel you see that while they are luxurious, they lack in true charm and have a formal feel about them. I never felt that at the Bryant Park Hotel. It is luxurious, has a nice cosmopolitan charm about it and the staff were so friendly and accommodating, I didn’t feel like I was being a pain when I asked them some questions.

The location of the hotel is pretty impressive too. A short walk west will take you to Times Square, a short walk East will take you to Grand Central Terminal, and a short walk South will take you to the Empire State Bulding. The hotel is also very close to 5th Avenue, and as a result we walked up it from the hotel a couple of times to see the sights and shops (!). One of the nice things about staying in the hotel is being able to walk for 30 seconds and be in the chilled out park opposite. It’s a nice relaxing spot.

I shall be recommending the hotel to friends and family, and if I return to New York at a later date I shall stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

When my husband booked a room, the employee talked him into spending extra money for a suite with a park view. He agreed since it was a special get away from our 4 kids. He mentioned he needed to make sure we had a room up on the higher floors away from any noise. It was noted on the computer. When we arrived, they told us we were on the 5th floor and that it was the only room left. Since it was midnight we had no choice but to accept the situation. The floor in our room was dirty but since it was the last room I let it go. At 7:30am there was jackhammering outside in the street directly in front of the hotel. When we complained the staff said nothing they can do. Worst treatment I have ever experienced.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
CT Suburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I was wary of staying at a hotel in NYC with two toddlers (2.5 & 18 months) and chose this one because of the great price for a NYC suite with 2 terraces and wood floors (cleaner than carpet!). We arrived on the day of a parade so it took us a little longer to get there but upon arrival everyone was so friendly and even though it might not seem "child friendly", the man at the Guest Entertainment desk offered to help us find somewhere to eat and things to do with the kiddos. Our room was beautiful and very child-safe. Our kids loved the dual terraces (got to read them bedtime stories under the light of the empire state building and the stars). I would definitely go back, great location, loved the carousel in Bryant Park. We aren't fans of "touristy" spots and even though this is close to Times Square you don't feel the congestion of it. Love it, we will be back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

DATES: Fri/Sat – May 15-16th. A quick wknd getaway.

ARRIVAL: Doorman was pleasant enough. Took the one suitcase and medium tote from the cab to the front desk where I was checking in. He didn’t offer to take the bags to the room, but that was fine as I probably would’ve have declined the offer anyway.

When you enter the hotel, the front desk, concierge and bell captain areas are all in a rather small-ish room to your left. On your right as you enter the hotel is Koi (sushi) restaurant. (Didn’t eat there but some local friends said it was good, though a little pricey.) The elevators to the guest room are straight ahead as you enter the building. That said, there’s really no lobby to speak of in that there are only a few small benches to sit on near the entrance to the elevators. The lobby definitely isn’t somewhere you’d hang out and have a drink or cup of coffee, read the paper, etc.

Check-in was unevetful. Front desk was efficient. I’d already prepaid through Expedia so there wasn’t much for them to do/talk about.

Elevators were rather small and dimly lit w/red light – very lounge like. Some may not like that, but it didn’t bother me in the least. Strangely, I didn’t share an elevator with any other guests during the entire wknd. I know May is a slow month in NYC, especially in this economy, but it was still odd. Almost felt like I had my own private elevator. Anyway….

ROOM: Jr. Suite on the 9th floor. Very nice! It’s not a true suite in that there’s only one room with a sitting area, but overall the “suite” is still about twice the size of most other NYC hotel rooms that I’ve stayed in.

There are two closets in the short entry way, one has the the honor bar and a few shelves, while the other closet was for hanging clothes. (There was also a complimentary large, wood-handled umbrella. You have to call down for an iron/board, which Ie did once. It was delivered in 5-10 min.) I liked the three well-placed coat hooks on left wall of the entry way...much easier to use than opening/closing closets and using hangers.

Sitting area has an area rug with a chair, coffee table and chaise of sorts. Very comfortable and spacious to say the least. I think the furniture is nicer than it looks in the hotel pictures. Loved the wood floors and high ceiling…made me feel like I was at home. There’s a small desk/chair (w/cordless phone) on one side of the room and an entertainment center underneath the wall-mounted LCD TV on the window side of the room. The entertainment center has a Bose radio and a separate I-Pod docking station. On top of the center were various drink glasses and a small ice bucket (already filled with ice upon our arrival), though you have to call room service for additional ice which comes in a regular-sized ice bucket.

Better yet, tons of natural light with four large windows overlooking Bryant Park – what a great view!! (All the Jr Suites face the park.) All the windows also open about 5-6” so you can get a good breeze if the wind is blowing right.

Platform bed is nice, though I prefer the traditional box/mattress combo which I think is somewhat more comfortable. White-noise machine on one nightstand with phone w/digital time readout on the other side. There’s also a bedside “d-n-d” button that lights up a button next to the door outside the room so housekeeping won’t be knocking when you’re trying to sleep. Came in handy as I was out kind of late both nights.

Bathroom is easily double in size compared to the dozen or so other nyc bathrooms that I’ve experienced. Full-size, deep-soaking tub. Separate shower, big enough for two. Bath products were top shelf. Plenty of towels. Nice bathrobes and slippers too. Room and bathroom were both very clean. Housekeeping was fine. No issues there.

Any downsides to the room? Maybe a couple. If you want to be facing the park, then you’re going to have to deal with some street noise. I’m from Chicago so it didn’t bother me at all. I actually like the sound of the city, but if you’re a light sleeper, then you’re probably going to need to use the white-noise machine, or you should consider getting a room in the back of the hotel (no view though). Also, wood floors + big windows + high ceiling = loud. And while I didn’t hear anyone during our stay (there are only 5 or 6 rms per floor), if you happen to get some loud neighbors, then I suspect you’d probably be able to hear them rather easily given how the sound reflects around the room.

Also, if you’re coming back to the hotel late on a thurs-sat, you might run into a line outside the hotel for the Cellar Bar – the hotel’s bar/club. Don’t think of waiting in line. Don’t even break stride as you approach. Just roll right up to the doormen, flash your hotel keycard and they’ll waive you in. Then once you’re back in the hotel, you can go straight into the club – should you so choose. I walked in on Sat night at around 1:30-2am and the place was packed - way beyond capacity. It was four deep at the bar, so I said forget it and called it a night. (Mainly a 20s-30s crowd from what I recall.)

LOCATION: Can’t imagine there being a better place to stay in midtown. Being across from Bryant Park absolutely makes this place in that it gives you a bit of a break from the relentlessness of the City. There are hundreds of (free) chairs and lots of tables to sit at – just grab one. I’d suggest buying your breakfast/lunch at a nearby deli, sit in the park and enjoy the people-watching. The Bryant Park Grille, which is located on the east side of the park, is okay. (I had a late dinner there on Fri night). The atmosphere is nicer than the food (standard bar fare), but it’s got a really nice view of the park. The main bar area just to north of the restaurant is also popular with the happy hour crowd and was busy into Friday night.

[If you’re looking to avoid mini-bar drink prices, there’a deli on the SW corner of 39th and 6th that sells wine (very small selection) and you can even buy single beers (I got a bottle of wine and 2 large Saporro cans for the price of one mini-bottle of wine at the hotel. If you’re only looking for food, there are also a couple deli-style places that are even closer - just east of the hotel on 40th - nice places both of them, but I think they close kind of early.]

In addition, the hotel is only a 5-10 min walk to Times Square, Empire State Bldg, 5th Ave shopping, etc. And if you want to head either uptown (Central Park/Upper West Side, etc.) or downtown (Soho, Little Italy, Tribeca, etc.), there’s a subway stop about a block from the hotel. Even a cab down to Morimoto’s in the Meatpacking District @ 8pm on a sat night only took about 10min.

[FYI…cab from LGA (Delta Shuttle terminal) to the hotel during Friday evening rush was $34 (tip and toll included), and it only took about 25 minutes. For the trip back to LGA late Sunday afternoon, It took less 20min to get there, and it only cost about $30 (tip and toll included).]

All-in-all, a great, centrally-located place to stay. Highly recommnded.

• Stayed May 2009
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

What a hotel!
I loved every minute of my stay and from now on i will only stay at the Bryant Park hotel when i'm in Manhattan.

The location is fantastic, rooms are spacious and very chic, not to forget the bathrooms which are enormous.
The house keeping is very good and turn down service is offered.

The hotel has a nice gym, which is great for a gym freak like myself :)

I loved all the small details such as; green apples to munch on after a tough work out, news paper every morning, a very well stocked minibar, Molton Brown bath products, robe and slippers and bed side ginger flavored chocolate.

I will highly recommend this hotel to everyone i know and to be honest this is the best hotel i've ever stayed at!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Great hotel, fab rooms and wonderful staff. The location is pretty fantastic too.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

The excitement of the city is nicely complemented by the elegance and service at the Bryant Park Hotel. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the rooms are beautiful! We had a great time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Bryant Park Hotel? Share your experiences!