“Convenient, sophisticated wedding central with great customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bryant Park Hotel

You added The Bryant Park Hotel to your Saves list
The Bryant Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Convenient, sophisticated wedding central with great customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

When our son and fiancee chose Bryant Park Grill for their wedding and reception, I called Bryant Park Hotel's sales manager. Excellent customer service skills impressed me from my initial conversation with Mr. Adolfo Ramirez through having Ms. Kelly Katko double check our folio charges when we departed. Having this lovely hotel just across the street from the wedding site solved any logistical problems. The friendly staff members who know how to look a guest in the eye and lend assistance when needed made us feel most welcome. (Forgive my not naming waiters, cleaning crew, managers or bellmen for fear I might omit someone.) Family, friends and the bridal party enjoyed having BPH as home base. Many rooms featured balconies, Broadway shows were around the corner and the 2 flower girls and 3 ring bearers loved the park with its carousel.

Room Tip: Ask for advice from the staff...We especially liked the arrangement for adjoining rooms on the 17th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and was expecting great service, lovely furnishings and a good experience. Instead, the room was furnished a la Ikea, with the world's least comfortable sofa, cheap desk and bookcase, and melamine closets. The drapes only opened partially and the roller shades were frayed at the edges and not in good repair. Even the orchid on the coffee table was plastic!

Worse yet, the walls are paper thin, even on a floor of all suites. I heard every word of the rather quiet conversation the gentleman next door was having with a business associate. I resorted to using the earplugs they conveniently provide in the thankfully lovely bathrooms.

Honestly, I've stayed in MUCH nicer mid-range chain hotel rooms!

My almost $30 room service breakfast of oatmeal and coffee was average at best, and when I next tried the whole wheat waffle, it was like eating cardboard (albeit VERY expensive cardboard).

On a positive note, my lunch at Koi (the hotel's restaurant) was quite good!

Any hotel where there is such a scene that hip looking employees ask to see your key before you can enter the premises and loud music deafens you at the front desk is a dead giveaway that they care less about their guests than their image, and that is all too true of the Bryant Park Hotel.

For a comparable price, I much prefer the Mercer, the Trump Hotels (near Columbus Circle or in SoHo), the SoHo or TriBeCa Grand Hotels, and the Thompson or Hudson Hotels.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Valhallapix
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed at the hotel recently. The hotel was centrally located right next to the Bryant Park. The check- in was quick and efficient. The room was clean and airy with a view of the park.
What really made this hotel stand out for me were the staff. Right from Darren the director of the front office down to the cleaners the staff were professional and very polite. I am treated as an individual and not a body in room 1501!!!
I would highly recommend BPH to anybody travelling to NY- Santosh

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank anjusantosh
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here six nights and took two suites for me and my husband and his mother for her birthday treat. The suites were huge and between them took the whole of the front of the 18th floor, views of the park and surroundings were great. The bathrooms were very spacious. Also spotless, as other reviewers have mentioned. We had a very friendly welcome and could not fault the staff.
The location is brilliant for mid town - theatres, transport, shopping and sightseeing - plus a convenient subway station on the corner. Bryant Park itself is wonderful with restaurants, cafes, lots of space to sit and lots going on, a real bonus on the doorstep.
On the downside I have to say the lighting in the rooms is barely adequate. It was not possible to read in bed and as the bedside light was too dim and the main room light not much better. That's a bit of a drawback when you have jetlag and are keeping odd hours. I would have liked more than one bar of soap (annoying to have to remember to take it with me from shower to basin and back). And it seemed a bit unnecessary to be charged internet access for each piece of kit - we paid three times over.
That said, we really felt at home and will definitely be back, it was a great hotel, perfect location and very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Moth
BryantParkHotel, Director of Front Office and Guest Services at The Bryant Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear Moth,

Thank you for spending your Mom's Birthday with us! I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations. You also made some great suggestions which we taking into consideration. Please keep in touch and if I can be of assistance let me know. Darren dsumner@bryantparkhotel.com
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I had a very positive experience at the hotel. My room was quite comfortable - big bed, powerful shower, lots of storage space, etc. I was also very happy with the service. Easy check-in, nice guys at breakfast. In particular, I left my iPad in the hotel safe and was able to easily arrange a safe return. That gave me great peace of mind. In fact, I have re-booked to return to the hotel in September.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bvjbvj
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I cannot praise the staff too highly. They are wonderful. The location is very convenient as well; e.g., we visited Bryant Park across the street at 11 PM and lounged with others in the lawn under a summer sky. However, the nickel and diming for wireless access, pullout bed preparation, etc. is annoying. The shilling of toiletries and expensive snacks to buy becomes wearisome as well.That was the sour note to an otherwise great stay. The bed was very comfortable in our suite; don't know if my six foot three son would say the same of the 'daybed', which was a little short.

Room Tip: Look for discounts that included free parking
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank borninthebronx
Halesite, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I booked a room for a little getaway. Unfortunately, Hurricane Irene had other plans......I booked the hotel thru booking.com and it was too late to cancel without penalty (paying for the night booked). Paul at the Bryant Park was able to cancel the reservation without charging us as a courtesy because of the weather. Very cool and unexpected. When looking for lodging in NYC in the future, the BP will definitely be at the top of our list!!!!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple