“Wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Chandler
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12 East 31st Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #66 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was the 2nd time I stayed at this hotel. I researched the prices of this hotel and found that booking with them direct was cheaper than Hotels.com and other travel sites. The rooms are always very clean and very quaint. The hotel staff will clean your room whenever you ask them, like if you sleep in or something. The view out my hotel window wasn't a view at all, just brick walls...however if you are like me and like to stay out in the city late night, you won't know what time it is due to the view! The only issue I had was with reservations, the lady I spoke with couldn't find my confirmation, and asked me to rebook. When I did so, she found my 1st reservation. It was a bit annoying but easily fixed. I highly recommend this hotel for its charm, ease and staff.

Room Tip: If you like to party in the city and stay out late, get a room that faces inward so that you don'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear George S:

My sincerest apologies for the confusion with your reservation I understand that reservations made an error which warranted a call back by you unnecessarily. I am happy that you however did enjoy your stay with us and that we were able to make up for the confusion.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Kate Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

So far we have seen very helpful staff. Nice cosy clean room. Close to all attractions. Free Apple Mac available to use in the lobby. Gym on site.
Even reduced the bill as was a slight mix up with booking. Think we're going to stay another night!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Hotel Chandler remains our lodging of choice in the Big Apple. Three block from the Empire State Building, it's location is perfect for Theater, Central Park and a trip downtown. Our room was well-appointed and the facility immaculate. Mostly, however, what makes the Hotel Chandler the place to stay is the staff. From the bellmen, to the desk clerks, the manager and bartender, smiles, kindness and hospitality are ever present. "What can we do for you" are their constant refrain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bretjina:

Thank you so much for your review! I am so happy to hear that our staff have gone above and beyond to make you feel welcomed.

We look forward to welcoming you back again,

Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We debated 3 or 4 stars but decided, barely, on 4.

Our hotel basics are a quiet and clean room with a good bed. Our room at the Chandler was very quiet, reasonably clean with an ok bed - a bit lumpy. But the fixtures and furniture were very heavily used, there was grout missing around the tub and the hall carpet wasn't vacuumed for several day - until we finally mentioned it to someone. They failed to clean our room one day, and it took a long time to finally get it done. However, they sent up a complimentary bottle of wine to apologize, which was very nice.

In the end, we liked the hotel, particularly for the price, but couldn't agree with the more glowing reviews.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My overall stay was perfect, except for an incident that made me unhappy and that was with one specif front desk lady, although she was nice with me, I asked her to change one hundred bill fro me and this was not the first time, but the third time, she gave me back the change without counting it in front of me, unfortunately, I went out and wanted to buy something cost $98 and I discovered I have only $96, I have reported this incident to the Manager on Duty and she seems to be in her staff side saying she trust her and she never do that, well I told her this is happened three times and she is not counting the money in front of me and you can refer back to the security camera, any how money is not important because it is a small amount, but the action is not right.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ChandlerManager, General Manager at Hotel Chandler, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Hamad1964:

I am so sorry that our front desk did not follow the proper policy and count the money in front of you when making change. I can assure you the short changing you of $4.00 was a mistake and not intentional. As the manager said we are more than happy to refund you the $4.00.

My apologies for any inconvenience this casued and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have just stayed at the Chandler for 4 nights with my girlfriend to celebrate my Birthday.....and what a perfect choice!
The hotel itself is perfectly located in Midtown and done to a high standard which reflects its rating.
The hotel is quiet and has a relaxed feel which is great after a days sight seeing. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. They advised us on where to eat...allowed us a later check out due to a late flight home and even sent wine,chocolates and a card to the room for my Birthday. Its touches like these that make the difference! The door staff/concierge were always opening doors for you and run off down the road to get you a cab if you need one!
The rooms are finished to a high standard.....mega comfy bed and a perfect shower with large rainfall head.You get lovely toiletries,turn down service and chocolates for when you return after a night out. Admittedly the rooms are on the smaller size but perfect enough for a short break when
you are not in the room much anyway.
The lobby has 24/7 tea and coffee and the hotel bar,albeit not to busy, has a lovely atmosphere to it, good service and a nice place to start or end the evening. The free wi-fi at the hotel is great as well!
The only slight moan.....The hotel is having the next door renovated for a new restaurant. This will not effect your stay at all but during the week you will hear a bit of noise from about 8.30am when the workman start. The rooms are very quiet but you may hear slight noise from this time albeit its not to bad and if you are, like us, spending time exploring the city then its not really an unreasonable time as you are up then anyway!

My g.f did a lot of research s to where to stay.....and she did a great job. I recommend so enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Chandler in February of 2013 with my partner. We expected the hotel to be good due to the reviews on trip advisor and we were definitely not disappointed!

Location - Fantastic. A minute walk from broadway. 15 minutes walk from Times Square. 2 blocks down from the Empire State Building. 10 minutes walk from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station. Two subway stations within 5 minutes walking distance. The area is nice and we felt quite safe walking around there. Perfect!

Room - Upon reading trip advisor reviews we booked a deluxe king because we were told they were a bit larger. Well, if they were larger than queen rooms must be tiny! The room is not big, the bathroom is a closet basically. However, from what we could gather of New York that is pretty much normal. Bed was comfortable however while it is advertised as a King bed it is actually two singles pushed together (which I hate). Bathroom with rainful shower is lovely.

Amenities - Gym was average. Weights go to 50 pounds which is reasonable but not fantastic.

Staff - Were absolutely fantastic. So helpful and would always go above and beyond to meet our needs. Were very friendly and genuine which we appreciated above all. Upon arrival we were amazed at their attentiveness (they went through a map of NYC with us pointing out all the top tourist attractions and so on).

100% recommend for business or leisure. Fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Go with a King Deluxe for a slightly larger room,.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Chandler? Share your experiences!