“In the end a good experience but it took a bit of work” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson Hotel New York

You added Hudson Hotel New York to your Saves list
Hudson Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   356 West 58th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #357 of 459 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“In the end a good experience but it took a bit of work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

(+)

. If you get the right room (superior) on the inside of the L high enough up very warm and cosy

. Front desk staff are young and try to help

. Good location

(-)

. Standard rooms are small and have very big single-paned windows so in winter can get freezing cold. I arrived on a Saturday night for 8 day stay and had to change once because of cold, and even in the second one there was still a very big draft. They did upgrade me for the rest of the stay to superior which was nice.

. Watch out for hidden extras. Yes, there resort includes wifi and credit towards food and drink. Said food is of course rather over-priced, and there is little to eat if you can't eat wheat so you're not actually saving any money.

.Biggest complaint was attitude of very aggressive bouncer on Saturday night working v close to the front desk who seems to feel the hotel is transformed into a night club over which he has full jurisdiction. I was not at all expecting to be ID'd in the way that I was on my way to one of the hotel bars (I'm 45!).

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

DO NOT STAY HERE! Absolutely horrendous experience. Hotel run down, party hotel that is looking tired. Rooms are tiny! We came to America/Canada for a month travelling over the holiday season. This was our last 5 nights before flying home. Stayed in few hotels which were all great... Except this one!!!!! Do not consider it!

First room had bugs in shower room. Also long thick hairs in shower tray. As room so small was not comfortable with this at all. Sink would not drain. So when brushing teeth etc... Would leave scum in basin. Drainage problem and smell. The bugs were around drains and all over the shower cubicle. Bathroom fixtures loose. Grouting all discoloured and brown. We had 2 big suitcases. Was nowhere to put them as room so small. I could have put up with the small room as its central NY. However bugs and filthy room... No way! Went to reception and they apologised and said it would be a problem to move us that night as it was late evening. However new room next day. So went back to original room to get some shut eye. Then pulled back bed sheets and found more thick long hairs! Was so tired just pulled them off and went to sleep as we had travelled down from Vermont and were exhausted.

Next day we were told new room would be an upgrade, and ready by 2-3pm. All our bags would also be moved for us. Weather was wet this day and we had got soaked so had returned to hotel at 3pm to get key for room and change shoes etc. Room not ready. Had to wait an hour. Then got to room and our bags weren't there. We were told they were on way. An hour later nothing. So I asked for key for old room and said look I'll get them myself it will be faster and I just wanna go exploring NY and stop wasting time hanging about. So then eventually staff came with bags. Once again no space for both bags. This room was a tad bigger. But upgrade? I doubt it. Still shabby. Walls all scuffed. Bathroom fixtures once again falling off wall etc. But we were just happy not to be sleeping with bugs in our room!
So... three nights later the fitted sheet came loose from end of bed and back. We noticed a stain on the mattress protector and blanket... Pulled back to reveal VOMIT stain on bed mattress protector and blanket! WE HAD BEEN SLEEPING on top of someone's vomit for three nights! Totally unacceptable and beyond disgusting! This was a large area! So basically there are a few layers on the bed. The top 2 were 'fresh'. Housekeeping had just left the stained dirty protector on and put 'fresh' linen on top! Absolutely horrific! We had noticed stains around the bathroom door that looked like food or vomit stains. We just assumed the staff were lazy. But as a whole picture this is just so wrong! Housekeeping don't have a clue what they are doing! So I went to front desk. Was told I was speaking to 'manager' Milton. Who sincerely apologised. Came to room and seen the stains and that the top sheets were clean but underneath was disgusting! Also showed him broken fixtures too. He was apologetic. Offered us another upgrade. Plus a free food drinks voucher for hotel. Which I declined as I said 'look we do not want to spend anymore time in the hotel than required'. I will not be paying for the three nights we slept on top of someone else's vomit! He said oh we will wipe your bill for you so far! Yeah good on... €6!!! We were so tired and fed up by this point! We had one night left. So I just said look rather than us the the hassle of moving AGAIN! Can you just strip the complete bed. Sanitise it. Then put on completely fresh set of bedding. He said sure. He would take care of it. At this point maid cake to room. This was pointed out.
So it was with great disgust that we came back to what we thought was a fresh bed. However with all the past failures and general state of rooms and my lack of faith in housekeeping we still checked area where sheets were stained. Only to be HORRIFIED to find the protector was just, what looked like, sponged down. There was still vomit stains present! This point it's midnight.
So I was fuming. So angry and tired. Emotional and wanting answers. Queue at reception. Which adds to the stress. Ask for 'manager'. Nate turns up saying he's the hotel manager. I explain the situation! He comes to room apologises. And says he will get us new room. So at this point we are shattered, have two days of travelling ahead of us. So sleep is beyond important tonight! He said he will call me back in 15mins with update. No call. Half hour later bell boy at door who obviously doesn't know anything. So we packed up. He takes us to new room. The largest of our stay. But still as shabby and run down. Bed was clean though! So I am not happy. As Nate did not get back with apology or explanation why this happened. I go to front desk where Juan with loads of bad attitude, whom earlier could see me holding back tears whilst talking to Nate earlier about our initial find that it wasn't cleaned properly! So he knew I was angry frustrated and that I should have been dealt with urgently. I asked him if he could get Nate for me. Rudely dismissed me with wait your turn in line. Just sums up the general staff attitude! So Nate comes and says, 'did I not solve your problem?' 'What's the problem now?' (How not to speak to an exhausted irate customer who has experienced the worst stay ever!). I simply said well why did this happen? Why was this allowed to happen? Are there no checks/standards? Surely after everything we have been through you would be thorough and ensure room was spotless? Where is the apology? He then said he is not manager and just on call night manager but it's not his main role. Which made sense as his customer service is shocking! Juan in the background growling at me trying to intimidate me. So I asked for his name. I asked for hotel overall manager... No reply. They both acting rather sheepish. Then told Mr ward... No it's Mr child's. I asked for his details they Nate refused to give them to me. I asked for email contact. I just felt like nobody was listening to me during whole stay had lost faith in everyone! So I demanded a schedule formal meeting the next am. Was told it wouldn't suit as they have staff meeting. I wasn't getting anywhere so came down next day (after hardly any sleep!). Asked to speak with hotel manager most senior person in charge! I was greeted promptly by a Mr J Caruso. Who on approaching me was shaking his head and apologising profusely. He knew my name and the whole situation. He had pieced it all together. He was extremely embarrassed and very professional and sincere with his apology. Part of his explanation was New year was a little crazy and perhaps we are still trying to catch up from that. He then said you will not be paying for your entire stay. It has been a complete embarrassment on our behalf. He explained he still doing staff training with Nate etc and they have a lot to learn!
But this didn't soften the horrendous stay. I explained that I had tubes trains, 2 x flights, buses to catch today and I've had worst sleep ever. I expected not to pay a penny. Of course not! It was honestly worst hotel experience of my life! Although I was glad that someone finally recognised the problem and then rectified it by refunding us! Was told not to check out just to go everything had been taken care of.

WELL NOW! Get back check my account and see that Hudson hotel had reserved €200. I gave card when checking in. But always asked to do this. Never had a reserve?! Took 3 weeks for them to release money back to my card! What a joke. STAY AWAY!

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

When our couples trip unexpectedly became a family trip, I wasn't sure that the Hudson would work out for us, given the reviews. We ended up having a great time! The staff was very welcoming and the friendly young woman at the desk (Kataijah?) helped us get a double room without a peekaboo bathroom, which was lovely. As others have said, the lobby décor is really cool and the library bar is stunning.

When we looked at the floor map on the back of our door, it became apparent that yes, some rooms are really, really small. If you like a bit of space, it would make sense to go for the Double-Double. The beds were very comfortable with nice duvets (though bottom sheet was quite scratchy), there was a closet, writing desk, funky lamps, big mirrors, nice view, and even a fridge. Bathroom was fine with very nice toiletries. A few nicks on the tub, but no big deal. Everything was spotlessly clean. We were on the 16th floor and didn't hear any noise from the nightclub (on a Saturday) so maybe it depends exactly where your room is located.

The Hudson is definitely a funky boutique hotel, so if you're used to wide bright hallways, tan wallpaper and maroon chintz bedspreads, you'll be in for a shock. If you're looking for something a little different in a super convenient location, give them a try. I look forward to coming back another time for a couples weekend and checking out the nightclub or patio bar too.

Room Tip: The standard singles are very small. Doubles offer plenty of space and solid bathroom doors.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Yes, the rooms are small. I don't care. Yes, the lobby is always hopping. I don't care. This is New York. The location is great (for so many different activities - theatre, shopping, Lincoln Center, Central Park, midtown business meetings). I am really fond of the place. Front desk is very friendly and welcoming - attentive despite the very difficult comings and goings of so many guests. But the fact that New Yorkers make this a haunt means there is something authentic about the place. I like the design elements a lot.

As for the rooms, well they really work for me. They are efficient and have a great deal of style packed into a small space. The iron and ironing board in the closet were a surprise, as were the quality of the bath products. So nice.

Beds were very comfortable, and as I've noted about choosing a room, I would recommend splurging for a deluxe as opposed to standard. The additional $30 or so per night is well worth the additional square footage in terms of providing a level of comfort. The standard rooms are genuinely closets.

This is absolutely not a five-star luxury hotel - it is design 'lifestyle' hotel, but as they go, this really defines the genre for me.

Beyond the front desk, I did not encounter many friendly associates (though housekeeping team was VERY nice and do an excellent job in the rooms). The bar people are very stressed and since they closed down one of the bars for a wedding during my stay, the other two bars became even more stressed. Have a ten spot on you to tip a doorman/bar guard and you can gain access over all of the locals. Guests of the hotel should be given priority for these occasions (but they are not) - so be ready to tip. The locals likely won't.

Room Tip: I prefer the deluxe rooms - the extra square footage makes a real difference in my ability to 'c...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I got "stuck" here by using "Name Your Own Price" feature on Priceline. We paid $90.00/night plus a (surprise!) $59.95 "hotel fee". We stayed in the middle of January with the intent of seeing a couple of shows and doing a little sight seeing. I know I could have gotten the same rate or a little bit more for other hotels. I try not to be too critical as I know I am taking my chances so I will try to stick to the facts.

This hotel is geared toward the young, hip and trendy crowd. Since I am none of those things I can not comment on the "club scene" or bars. However, judging from packed lobby and escalors and the thumping music we encountered at on our way in after a play I am assuming it was good. I also can not comment on the restaurant as we did not use that either, although after a glance at the menu it seemed over priced.

The location of the hotel is great, close to subway lines, a walk to Central Park and the Theater District. The lobby is beautiful and staff extremely friendly and helpful. There was no issue with check in as we were aware ahead of time of the $19.95/day surcharge. It was expained to us this was for use of the gym (something we would not use), and for the "library", bar, pool table (again we would not use this). But you did get "free" wifi.

From reading previous reviews I knew the rooms were small and could be loud from the club so I had requested a corner room on a higher floor. They accomodated us on the 10th floor in a corner room which indeed was VERY small. Like having to stelp over suitcases small. My husband is not a small man at 6'2" but he isn't huge either. He had trouble sitting on the toilet, his knees touched the wall and he sat at an angle. But this was okay and we laughed it off as having a NYC small hotel room.

Then night came... The traffic noise was horrible. I have stayed in NYC many times and have never heard noise like this. This is an older hotel and these windows are definately not sound proof. We WERE there in January and it was very cold out but.. The window above our bed and the one to the side were so drafty that we thought surely they must be open. The heat would come on and it would sound like jet engines were in our room. We would get hot, fling off the covers, the heat would stop and the draft (really felt like a wind) took over and we were freezing. We called the front desk in the morning and requested to be moved as we were sitting there with scarves wrapped around us. They were very nice and accomodating and upgraded us to a "superior" room and we were told to just pack up all our stuff and go out and enjoy the day and it would all be moved to our new room by the time we got back. Got back that night around 10:30 and we did get the Superior Room but our stuff had not been moved. Whatever, we just moved it ourselves. The "Superior Room" was bigger, warmer and being on the inside of the U shape it was quieter. The bed was not the best we ever had but it was comfortable and we were able to sleep. Nice hot shower and a nice closet area to put our suitcases. There was a mini fridge but no coffee maker. Lucily I don't leave home without my travel coffee maker! The morning we were due to check our we were laying in bed watching the news at 9:00 am and housekeeping just opened the door! Didn't know or anything! Opened the door and looked in and heard the tv on and just closed the door, not good.

The elevators were a bit slow and elevator music was fun.. night clubby, a younger clientelle was obvious. This is most assuredly not a 4 star hotel. After you got past the lobby, things were a bit shoddy and run down. I would recommend this hotel if you were looking for a young, hip, trendy night club atmosphere with a place to crash after a night of drinking. But if you are looking for quiet, class and a more relaxing environment then look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms "inside the U shape" will have less street noise. In any case a room higher up will...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Hotel really should come with a warning label when booked. Although the hotel was extremely tidy, the staff were really nice and helpful, the room was extremely small. To the point where I had to back myself into the bathroom. I have to be honest I am not the shortest at 6'2" but that is not abnormal (I hope). If you are booking a hotel in centre of New York and expect peace and quiet, then you really ought to reconsider and perhaps book a suburban retreat.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Ok after reading reviews on here I was concerned! Yeah the room was small but very clean. It was a comfy bed for 5 nights, the room was warm even without the heating on considering it was -8 outside. The location was spot on :) I really couldn't fault this hotel at all but then I didn't go to New York to sit in the room. We had an amazing time in new York and would definitely recommend staying at the Hudson.

• Stayed January 2015

Been to Hudson Hotel New York? Share your experiences!