“"New Concept Hotel": yeah, inconvenient and expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson Hotel New York

You added Hudson Hotel New York to your Saves list
Hudson Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   356 West 58th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #355 of 459 Hotels in New York City
San Diego, California
“"New Concept Hotel": yeah, inconvenient and expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Do I rate it "average" or "poor"? Hard to decide. As the man in the coffee line mumbled as he gave up and left, "This is painful." (See below for more about the coffee situation.) The good news is the location, right by Columbus Circle, and the gorgeous lobby. And very clean and modern, with nice desk clerks. Now for the rest. The room was small, even by New York standards. I asked at the desk if ours was unusual, and they said it was actually one of the better rooms. Impossible for two people and their luggage to fit at all comfortably! And nowhere to put things in the bathroom. But the worst thing was the coffee situation. No pot in the room. No urn in the lobby. The only source was to stand in a very slow line at a window in their so-called cafe to buy a large drip coffee for $6. (Yes, it was so slow that the man I mentioned earlier gave up and left, despite the driving sleet outside.) I complained at the desk, where I was told that this is a "new concept" hotel. Oh, and one more thing. Be sure your room is on the 9th floor or above, as the bar on the main floor is very loud and very popular. Even the "quiet" bar down the hall throbs with music from the dance bar. I encountered various youngish business people staying at the hotel, and they were as put off by the noisy bar as we older vacationers. I would not stay there again without major changes.

Room Tip: Get above the ninth floor to avoid loud dance music from the bar, especially on weekends.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

My husband and I stayed one night at the Hudson on December 18th, 2014. We booked the room through priceline. The hotel was in a perfect location- just steps away from Columbus Circle and Central Park. And just a few blocks away from all the main midtown attractions. We checked in on a Thursday evening and the hotel was bustling! The restaurant and bars were packed! Lots of people hanging out in the lobby and outside. It appeared that the Hudson was the place to be for nightlife! Our room was on the 9th floor, so noise was not a problem. The room was dark, cozy and perfectly adequate. It was by far the smallest room I have stayed in, but we spent such little time there that it really did not matter. The bed was very comfortable and when it comes down to it, that's important stuff! The bathroom was the hardest, I could see if I stayed more than a night how it might be tough bc counter space is non-existent. I am short, 5'4" and my knees did touch the wall when on the toilet, but again, this really wasn't a big deal as we were in the room from mid-night-9am. At midnight we tried to purchase a beverage from the vending machine and it took our money but did not dispense a drink. We called the front desk and they immediately sent up 3 bottles of water at no charge! Great, great service! Upon checkout we discovered a 19.95 resort fee charge. This surprised me bc when I logged onto wifi it said it was no charge for up to 4 devices. I asked the front desk about it at checkout and explained that I booked through priceline and was told nothing about it. She promptly removed the charge. I'm still not sure what the resort fee covers, but beware of this extra charge. Seems silly in this day and age where wifi is free everywhere! Overall, we had a great stay and would absolutely stay again!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed on 27 Nov for three nights, arrived tired after a long journey from Niagra falls by train! The scaffolding does not do any favours for first impressions, but we did received a warm welcome. For no apparent reason we were upgraded to very pleasant boutique room. I was disappointed that guests were not given the facility of, or choice to access bright light. Although the room was minimally attractive it felt gloomy and depressing because it was in permanent semi darkness, even during day the light hours. The room lighting was not practical or appropriate for guests comfort. The three tiny bedside lights made it impossible to read or apply make up. Clearly this was the hotels choice of ambiance particularly in the public rooms and corridors...again making them feel dark and dingy. The bed room was spotless, TV fine and bed was fabulous to collapse into after a long day sight seeing. The location was the icing on the cake, perfect, enabling us to make the most of every minute of our short visit before our cruise. I would stay again but would be better prepared and ask for a bright standard lamp. its a no brainer...and cheep as chips; buy some bright light bulbs and place strategically :)

Room Tip: ask to check out your room for light, it really is an issue everyone finds disappointing... fantast...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The hotel is in a great location, probably it's only good point. Check in was very disorganized and very slow. Having said that the check in staff were very friendly. We booked a standard room, which we were expecting to be small - understatement!! Only just enough room to walk around the bed and the bathroom was a joke. No room when on the toilet to put your legs in front!!! - had to "go" at an angle!!! I am not a tall person, 5'7" and it was logistically challenging...!
Secondly, the room was on the 9th floor, #951. It was extremely noisy. We have lived in NYC so are used to noise, but this was ridiculous. There was absolutely no sound proofing via the windows at all - we barely slept a wink. The bed was extremely squeaky so we couldn't move without making noise. And, being as its winter, we wanted to use the heating - no chance - it made such an awful clanking noise the entire time that we had to turn it off! So, unless you're on a very high floor and in a bigger room, I would suggest another hotel!!! We stayed at the Empire last time in a corner suite - hands down a totally different experience.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Let's start off by saying we have lived in the city for a decade and have been in many hotel rooms all over the city for various events, though never actually stayed in a hotel since we live here. This gives us a good amount of knowledge to base our comparison of the Hudson Hotel to other NYC hotels. Since there was a wedding and many out of town guests were staying at the hotel we decided to stay for the weekend.

The Good: Bell boys, the majority of the staff is very nice - just couldn't get the job done. The lobby and bar/food areas are great, cool atmosphere with regular NYC prices.

The Bad:
So whenever there was a problem it was never quickly and easily resolved. Unfortunately there seemed to quite a few problems and each time we talked to the front desk it took a team of staff to work on the issue, often requiring our assistance. As a guest you don't want to be bothered, you just want it fixed. This was not the case all weekend.
This hotel has the smallest hotel rooms I have ever seen. Paying NYC hotel prices is expected but you want to to feel pampered and as if you're getting the best value for your dollar. With rooms this small (and we had a 'larger' deluxe room to accommodate room for a baby crib) you just feel as if you're getting ripped off. That was just the beginning. During our two night stay the following things happened:
We were supposed to have King bed per our initial reservation but we actually had a queen.
A drug dealer knocked on door at 3am...we did not order any drugs, our sleeping baby didn't appreciate the wake up call either.
The AC unit in the room was extremely loud and did not work well. After requesting maintenance to come fix it, they never did.
We had a package delivered to our attention at the hotel and were told we would be notified when it was actually delivered in the building, which we never were, and we had to track it down and go downstairs to pick it up.
When helping coordinate guest welcome bags for the wedding we were attending, the package room couldn't figure out how to get the bags to the guests who had booked through the wedding party - a manager needed to figure it out.
The crib supplied by the hotel appeared to be very flimsy and unsafe.
Due to a street closure the valet would not get our car so we had to go across the street to get it out of the garage ourselves, not a big deal, except we walked over to the garage with all of our luggage and then were told we needed to get the ticket validated at the hotel front desk first.
The next month we noticed 2 charges for the hotel that we did not recognize. The problem is that the charges were used on a card we had put down when we left our bags with the bell desk prior to checking in because our rooms were not ready when we initially arrived. The charges were not on the card that we used to pay for the room. When we inquired with the hotel billing department we were given the run-around, no one could provide any information and they eventually stopped returning our calls and did not reply to our messages. Our bank is investigating the fraud charges.

The overall incompetence of the staff was really the problem. We were promised and told many things that never happened. We had many issues and problems during our stay. Instead of them just getting fixed, they often led to additional problems. Overall our stay at the Hudson Hotel really let us down. All of the problems we encountered at the hotel really took away from our ability to enjoy the wedding celebration weekend. We should have just stayed at home, in our small NY apartment, the bedroom would have at least been bigger than what we overpaid for at the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get a multiple-room suite with separate bedroom, bathroom and living room areas, at least...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We got an excellent deal on this hotel, considering it was December in NYC which is prime rate. There was a lot that I really liked about the hotel. Great location near Midtown, Columbus Circle, Central Park, the subway line, great restaurants on 9th Ave, Lincoln Center and the UWS. The lobby is inviting, and a few feet away you can discover some fun bars. Most importantly to me, the rooms were clean. But the rooms are SO tiny. I'm sure they must get complaints from overweight people, as I don't see how they can go to the bathroom. It's that tight. The bed was very creaky and when one person moved, the whole bed shook. The shower is glass so the bedroom looks into the glass shower. I'm sure that won't work for everyone. There is a sheer curtain but it doesn't hide a thing. The heating/AC system is directly overhead the bed. In our case, the room was very warm so when we turned down the heat, we had a cold cold draft blowing directly on us. The entrance to the hotel is covered in scaffolding so it's easy to miss the hotel. When we visited the bar last Nov'13, I believe that scaffolding was there also. Not very inviting. All in all, as I mentioned, we got a great deal so I guess I shouldn't complain. But we had a similar deal in Midtown and the room was 3x the size with clean rooms.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Now that I have your attention...this is the devils room. I kid you not.

I recently stayed at the Hudson for 10 days on a business trip. What was once a trendy, fashionable hotel is now a mediocre (at best), poorly maintained and under-staffed hostel.

The room I checked into was #1545. It was purported to be a Deluxe Studio. Deluxe? Not quite. None of the blinds worked in the room. The handset to the phone never worked nor was it fixed after repeated requests to do so. If you managed to use the toilet, your knees hit the wall in front of you. A light switch controlled a light in the bedroom closet that had to be turned off from that room... on the other side of a wall. The pièce de résistance was the dog barking each morning across the hall while the owner would go out for a coffee. Nice wakeup call.

Due to my work schedule it was impossible to switch rooms for a couple of days. When I was able to move, I checked into room #1814. That was a far cry from the old room. Viola, window blinds worked, bathroom was bigger and the foyer could accommodate an open, drying, umbrella. Unfortunately the phone still didn't work.

Look, I was on a budget and the Hudson matched the money that I could spend but I felt a little taken since I was paying for a larger room that had the word "Deluxe" in it.

The Hudson has a "Urban Resort Tax". It gives you free Internet, local calls and some cash to put towards meals/drinks downstairs. Remember my phone situation? Can't make any calls even if they are free? What's the use? Remember my understaffing comment? Wait till you hit the restaurant. The line will be long even if you're just looking for a cup of coffee. They've got a screwy way of taking orders and getting the food out. You place your order (put it on your room if you want to apply the credit towards the "Urban Resort Tax") and wait for your number to be called. The staff in the restaurant are very friendly but you may have a hard time understanding them. Each morning we had a guy who had a very thick Eastern Indian accent and would call out the numbers...there were quite a few people who couldn't understand him...hence cold food.

Since I checked in late on a Sunday night (yes, there was a line) I just agreed to everything so I could get to my room and hit the hay. I would ask about this "Urban Resort Tax" and see if it's a requirement. I'm not sure what they would charge you for the Internet alone.

Here's the bottom line. They need an overall upgrade no matter what they're charging. Elevators are slow. Paint jobs are sloppy, public areas need an overall facelift. These folks are working off of some type of model that basically says, spend the money on the renovation and abandon ship for the next 10 - 15 years. Not good.

By the way, if you want to avoid the circus in the lobby each day, take the elevators to the ground floor on you way out and way in. It will allow you to keep that skip in your step as you take on your day in one of the busiest cities in the world.

Whatever happens on your next visit to Gotham, do your homework. It's an expensive town to visit and/or work in. You might as well make the best of it for what little cash you have. Good luck!

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost...Beezlebubs room. It's room 1545.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hudson Hotel New York? Share your experiences!