“So wannabe hip it hurt” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson New York Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hudson New York Hotel to your Saves list
Hudson New York Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   356 West 58th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #348 of 453 Hotels in New York City
London
“So wannabe hip it hurt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Hudson so wants to be a scenery hotel but would do far better to attend to the basics, such as the customer experience and satisfaction, in my opinion. My partner and I stayed a week and were first assigned a small (even by New York standards) room with a weird internal picture window on to the bathroom! Fine, I guess, if you want to watch your partner take a shower (or, worse, dump), but that really isn't our bag. it was also immediately apparent that the wifi (which, incidentally, costs $14 per day!) is utterly HOPELESS. We protested and thankfully a lovely guy called Stuart on the front desk upgraded us to a room on the 19th floor where there was no weird window between bathroom and bedroom and where the wifi was better but still pretty crap in all honesty. If you were lucky and sat on the bed with the wind blowing in the right direction you might get enough of a signal to load a page in less than five minutes, but you couldn't count on it. Still, Stuart had, kindly, given us his password to use so at least we weren't paying €14 per day for the privilege. The noise from the street 19 floors down was considerable. On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The bar? Great.
The hotel? Glorified hostel with green doors.
There were maybe two feet on either side of the bed, you couldn't sit on the toilet without your knees hitting the wall and the bathroom wasn't even enclosed. This is basically just an efficiency motel on top of a bar. Would not recommend, especially given the price.

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

i visited hudson hotel with my family for 2 nights in august. the hotel is fine and even if the rooms are small and a little bit run down, hudson hotel has a special charm.
BUT: I would never book this hotel.
WHY? When i left Hudson Hotel, they charged me over 400USD on my credit card without any notice. the rooms were paid in advance from germany. all emails, wrote to the hotel, were not answered. we had NO extra services in the hotel and it's not comprehensible, why we were charged!

Be careful if you decide to go to this hotel and more important of all check your credit card after your departure from the hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Before booking the hotel I had read a review talking about the lack of privacy if you shared a room. I could not agree more. The hotel is good and the staff is awesome, but I would not advice it for couples.

Rooms are very tiny (even that I booked a superior room) and are not designed to welcome more than one person. First of all, the bathroom was REALLY small. Whenever you went to the toilet you had less room for your legs than in economy class. I wonder what a tall person would do. Besides, my bathroom did not have a real door but a sliding door, leaving you without privacy. But the worst of all is that it did not have a wall too but a glass! So, basically, you could see everything in the bathroom from the bedroom. Besides that, every time I took a bath, the bathroom flooded.

Another two negative points is the lack of free Internet and that they charge every time you receive a package (between 4 - 7 USD depending on the size of the package). This is the first time a hotel charge me for this (I have staid in no less than 10 hotels in NY that did not charge me for this).

Finally, I would like to thank the staff as they were amazing during my stay. Specially, Chris Lopez (Security Supervisor), which helped me with an issue I had. His response was superb and is one of the reasons I would come back to the hotel (but only if I am not planning to receive packages and I am travelling on my own).

Location is also the best in NYC.

Room Tip: If travelling with someone, ask for a room without a glass as a wall
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Benalmádena, Andalucía, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here for 5 nights and can honestly say lovely clean hotel and staff very helpful and friendly , location was great would definitely stay in this hotel again if ever I got back to New York. Roof terrace a must

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hudson for the September long weekend and our first trip to New York City. We chose to the hotel for it's great location near Central Park and having studied art and architecture for it's famous designer history. The hotel is exceptionally unique from the neon glowing escalator at the front entrance to the beautiful lobby decorated in rich woods and with a vine covered ceiling. You feel like you are in an oasis in the middle of the city. Our check in was quick and easy and the front desk agent (Jade) was wonderful. She made our first impression of the hotel fantastic with her amazing personality and witty jokes! Right away we knew this would be a fun place to stay. Upon receiving our room we were informed that we were upgraded, a wonderful perk! The rooms are not overly large however you are in New York city, go out and explore! It was the perfect size for just the two of us. We loved all of the unique features that made the hotel young and hip. The housekeeping department does a wonderful job and everything is always made up in a time manner. The property itself is very clean and well maintained. It is definitely a lively hotel and has an upbeat, party vibe however a truly unique experience. The hotel also features a fantastic library bar and beautiful patio spaces. We found the concierge service exceptionally helpful every time we needed a restaurant recommendation or suggestion of what to see or do. Thank you for directing us to Village Vanguard as we had an amazing time there and to the sushi bar around the corner! They were also ready to book tickets or make reservations at any moment. Needless to say we loved this hotel and on top of everything it will always be well remembered as my boyfriend proposed on our first night there and the hotel even sent us champagne! Thank you to all of the staff at the Hudson for making our stay in New York so wonderful. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Make sure to check out all of the patio spaces and the library bar!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed at the Hotel for a wedding in NYC. Rooms were very small, when in the "bathroom" you could both use the toilet and shower at the same time. Beds were extremely comfy and room service was good!
Hotel itself was well decorated, jazzy, and well located. The two bars within the hotel had nice interiors, but were hugely expensive for drinks.
Breakfast was nice but again, expensive. We just ended up going to the cafe on the corner and ordering take out coffees then drinking them back at the hotel.
Staff were friendly and attended to all our needs well. Front of house staff were always lively and happy to take care of guests.
Rules in the hotel were silly to say the least. We were celebrating a wedding, in which the bride and bridesmaids were getting ready in their rooms with a bottle of champagne, when asked for 4 flutes to drink out of, they were refused (hotel policy), ended up drinking out of the card board cups that were provided in the bathroom. Not great.
Also my parents and in laws, all in their 50's were refused entry to one of the bars in the hotel for not having ID. Maybe ageist, or maybe my parents look younger than their years.
All in all a nice stay with a few niggles.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hudson New York Hotel? Share your experiences!