“Ask and Ye May Receive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson New York Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hudson New York Hotel to your Saves list
Hudson New York Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   356 West 58th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Special Offer
Plan Ahead
Ranked #347 of 451 hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Ask and Ye May Receive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Hudson during 2 successive weeks in July, and based on my reading of other recent TripAdvisor reviews was able to negotiate an enhanced experience.

Readers of the reviews will already understand that this hotel (apparently in a converted YWCA building) has very small rooms. One desk clerk explained this as "New York style rooms." That said, the rooms in corners or where corridors turn are somewhat larger than the rooms along straight corridors.

When I checked in the clerk asked me if I'd ever stayed with them before. I said, "unfortunately yes," noted the micro room (and micro bathroom) size and said that the only reason I was back involved my consulting gig with Fordham University (across the street). I also asked, "please do not put me in a room right over the noisy bar." The helpful clerk gave me a slightly larger corner room, a free bottle of Voss water, and coupons for a continental breakfast! The same thing happened when I returned for three days the next week with a different desk clerk.

So--it seems that politely engaging in self advocacy may get you a room upgrade. The rooms are comfortable (bed especially) although dimly lit with tiny work desk. Stil, it's inexpensive for NYC.

Room Tip: Talk to desk clerk in a friendly manner bemoaning the small standard room size and asking to avoid a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

1,712 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Greek first
Northern VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

As everyone has pointed out the rooms at the Hudson are unbelievably small .. I've stayed in hostels that have had bigger spaces. I realize that when in NYC you're only in your room to sleep but still .. this verges on craziness. On the other hand, the outside backyard space is AWESOME to enjoy a drink or a yogurt from nearby Pinkberry and the surrounding areas are full of cool places to eat and walk around. Staff is great. I loved the Malin + Goetz bath products in our room (very high end!) but for the price, you could get a better room while you're staying in the city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here with 5 friends, all in our 20s and we had a great time! The location is perfect for shopping/ sightseeing and you're right next to Central Park. The rooms are tiny but well equipped and the beds are really comfy. The service was really friendly, although there's no porter service. The cocktails are delicious and the food is simple but great. The roof terrace is incredible- one of the best views I've ever seen in New York! I only wish the bars were open later into the night during week days and that they didn't close down so many areas of the hotel when not at peak times. Definitely worth staying here if you're young and looking for somewhere fun and social.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

If you are short or young this is a great place to be. Rooms are miniscule but the bar scene is going strong..Open air roof top bar with a disc jockey, couches and a very young energetic group of people. The location is perfect for a midtown hotel with access to Lincoln center, Central park and Broadway shows. If you are over 6 ft tall, you will find it difficult to use the bathroom.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I'm a bit of a creature of habit, especially when I find a place I like, I tend to stick with them.
Hudson is my go-to hotel in NYC. It's in a great location: Columbus Circle, Time Warner Center, Central Park, Lincoln Center, museums, Theater District are all within a 3 to 20 minute walk. I love being able to wake up and run to and around Central Park. The Philippe Stark interiors still hold their charm. The rooms and junior suites are on the small side even by NYC standards, but to put it into perspective, I spent two whole weeks here during which I shared it with a rental bicycle. It was tight but still manageable.
Their beds and linens are very comfortable.
The staff are very pleasant. And the concierge desk is very helpful. On one visit, I had left my phone in the cab and they helped me track down the cab within 20 minutes and got my phone back. I can't tell you how thankful I was.
There's a great roof top terrace for guests to sit and enjoy the day and evenings. The only complaint I have is you can't bring your own refreshments. For a hotel with barely room to sit inside your rooms, that's really kind of offensive to me. Other than suites, most rooms do not have seats other than a task chair at a desk. So they don't expect for you to be in your room unless you're there to sleep. That gets to be a problem on stays of more than week.
The Hudson has a good urban vibe, which is what I want and expect from NYC.

Room Tip: I like the rooms along 58th because I love watching the morning buzz of people going to work, horse...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Yes the rooms are small but with a lively lobby scene who wants to stay in their room! There are corners with comfortable chairs dispersed around the lobby and adjoining rooms. And don't forget the 15th floor terrace to find a spot to sun or read or have a quiet conversation. And I haven't even mentioned the perfect accessible location. This was my second time at the Hudson and I will always stay again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed for 3 nights and loved the hotel! Really friendly staff who where willing to go out of their way to accommodate any reasonable request and even tried to find the best possible room for us that wouldn't be facing the street! Ideally located with subway and Central Park only 2 minutes away!

The roof top sitting areas are amazing! A brilliant space to relax after a mad day of shopping and sight seeing with fantastic views!!! I would definitely stay here again!!

I would however say that this is most definitely a hotel suited to the younger crowd :)

Stayed July 2014

Been to Hudson New York Hotel? Share your experiences!