“Hidden gem near Central Park” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson Hotel New York

You added Hudson Hotel New York to your Saves list
Hudson Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   356 West 58th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #355 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Wilmington, DE USA
“Hidden gem near Central Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I did a blind bid on priceline looking for a weekend getaway in NYC! I looked up the hotel after my my bid was accepted. Mixed reviews, Hmmmmmmmm. When we arrived, the building was quite plain, then into the lobby and up the escalator to the main lobby. WOW!!! What a cool place. Beautiful hardwoods everywhere and wonderful spaces throughout!. Outdoor spaces where incredible ( main floor and the skyterrace!!)
The room was small (but not too small) but elegant(Cherry floors and mahogany walls) and a clean little bathroom. We spend our time in the city not in our room. The whole weekend turned out great. My wife and I will be returning to the Hudson in October!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GinelleCorrea, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
carol&andy,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the hotel and it's common spaces, such as Sky Terrace. We will be opening Henry, our new bar in early Fall. Before you return for you stay in October please reach out to us directly, as we would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your wife!

Ginelle Correa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

yes the rooms are smaller than some other hotels and we had 4 in our room with double beds, but we could have stayed in bed the whole time they were that comfortable. once we accepted the size of the room everthing was good, and we really didnt spend that much time in the room so it didnt effect our time in NYC. Very friendly, efficient staff. plenty of staff too, checkin, food and beverage, getting a cab, checking luggage all fully staffed and great. The only negative was the upstair bar seems to be closed....I had stayed here 18 months ago and remember how much fun the bar on the 15th floor observation deck was at night, but we went up around 7 and it wasnt open and looked like it was not in use? great views from there though. regarding F&B there are no fancy restaurants in the hotel. you can get some really high quality food but its more fast casual type menus. My family would def go back, highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: its worth upgrading to a room with a small fridge
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Steve O,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience! We are happy to hear that you chose to stay with us for a second time with your family. Upon planning your next trip to the city, please reach out to us directly as we would love to set up a profile for you as a guest! We apologize you were unable to spend time on our Sky Terrace, as we hope you will be able to enjoy the views on your next visit.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I usually stay at Ink or Eventi, but decided to try something new. The lobby is impressive and Hudson Common is very cool. The room needed some work though. Maybe I just got a bad one. The shower floods the whole floor, and based on the rust around the toilet it happens often. The sink didn't drain properly and I found some hairs in the shower as well. The AC was week too. It's a great location, but was grossed out by the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
gagekris,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the decor of the lobby, as well as our restaurant Hudson Common.

We do apologize for the troubles you encountered with your bathing areas. I do apologize that you were not informed that you were placed in a Handicap Accessible room, which prevents the water from staying in the shower. We would like you to know that the issues have been addressed within their appropriate departments, so future guests will not encounter the same experience.

Please reach out to us about planning a future stay as we would love to welcome you as a guest once more and make up for this experience. Our new bar, Henry, will be opening in early Fall and will be another great addition to Hudson's common spaces.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a find. I ended up here because the corporate rate was about half that of other hotels, and I had no problem with a small space. After my stay at the Pod hotel last summer, I was prepared for anything.

The location is excellent, right off the E line if you are coming in from JFK, with the Columbus Circle shops next door. The vibe is modern - with the alluring decor, dim lights and downtempo music, you could argue this is more a bar with rooms than a hotel with a few bars.

Everything is clean and sleek, with plenty of stainless steel and dark wood accents. The rooms are small, but have everything you need. Strategically placed lights, storage space, television, etc. all come together to make it feel like you've got more space than you really do.

I didn't get a chance to spend much time in the Library (drinks, billiards, books, kind of a modern smoking room), but will upon return. I did eat a few times in the Cafeteria, again, a modern reinterpretation of an older eatery. The breakfast passes were great, apparently included in my room rate, which was a nice surprise.

For business or pleasure, I'll definitely return. This is my hotel of choice for all future stays in Manhattan.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jason B,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, from the location of Hudson to everything you experienced inside the hotel as well. We hope you are able to spend more time in our outlets upon your next visit, as we will be opening Henry, our new bar, in early Fall. Please reach out to us directly before planning your future stay as we would be happy to set up a guest profile for you.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The understated entrance (with perpetual flame overhead) sets the tone for this ultra modern chic property with about 70 micro-rooms packed into each floor.

The photos do not adequately capture the very tiny spaces. My queen bed was in a room with about 20 inches on either side and a small 18 x 30 inch desk all crammed into about 9x9 ft or 81 sq ft space. The nedroom is separated from the narrow hall and bathroom by a translucent curtain. Are you old enough to remember telephone booths? The bathroom is barely larger than 2 with a small shower separated from the bedroom by a clear glass wall and a toilet so close to the shower that you could easily stumble over it.

The television was mounted in the center of a mirror on a wall to the side of the bed or be prepared to contort, if you like watching TV in bed.

The room was clean and functional. Everything worked and the room did include a safe and small fridge. The bed was moderately comfortable and the AC worked well. The location is very convenient to Columbus circle and the Fordham University campus. I was here for one night to attend a meeting at Fordham, so the room was adequate for my needs. A longer stay would have triggered claustrophobia.

The public areas of the hotel were also modern and attractive, giving no hint of the tiny rooms. The staff was generally friendly, but I was initially sent to a room that was already occupied by others; not a reassuring move by the front desk staff.

I would have rated this as very good, apart from the tight space (especially in the bathroom) and the careless front desk staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Fontek,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts of Hudson. Though you were not comfortable in your room accommodations, please know that we have several room categories available with more spacious rooms and bathrooms.

I do want to apologize on behalf of my front desk staff for your check in experience. Issues like that are not taken lightly and I will make sure it is addressed with my colleagues. I do hope that you will give Hudson a second chance in the future. I would like to extend a complimentary upgrade during your next stay to make up for your past experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you would like to return and I will make sure that you have an exceptional experience at Hudson.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is very well located if you want to be right on Columbus circle and the main avenues. This area is too crowded to my taste, I think it's a perfect hotel (location-wise) if you're in NYC on business or just 2 days, and need to be closed to somewhere specific but otherwise it's not a very relaxing place. There are many rooms, hence many guests, it's a bit like a hotel-factory with always dozen of people coming in and going out. The rooms are extremely small and dark, there are not enough lights inside the room to light it up. The amenities are nice. The hotel in itself has great bars & restaurants, super ambiance with new yorkers coming after work, I enjoyed that part. Trendy places, good food, good drinks, nice people; perfect places to just come down from your room for food and drinks. The terrace on the 15th is great, you can sunbath there, enjoy drinks, looking at the skyline. The staff of the hotel is very helpful, record time check-in and check-out, I was very impressed. Also, on a marketer note, great branding everywhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Expl0rette,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts of Hudson. Though you found mid-town to be too much of a central location, I am glad that you were able to enjoy our venues, in particular Sky Terrace. Sky Terrace is one of my favorite venues as well because you are able to escape the bustle of the city.

I do hope that you will give Hudson another chance in the future. We also have three sister properties in New York if you would like to try and stay in another area of the city. Whichever property you choose, do not hesitate to contact me if you return to Morgans Hotel Group so that I can make sure you are well taken care of.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I LOVE the Morgans Group hotels and try to stay in them whenever I can (this was my 4th Morgans hotel). Unfortunately, this one did not meet my expectations compared to their other properties I've enjoyed. I usually rate them 5/5, and this one borders between 3/5 and 4/5.

What was good? The lobby is so so awesome. High glass ceilings, covered in ivy, with a massive crystal chandelier. Modern furniture and art and quite an impressive entryway. The room decor was clean and interesting, and the restaurant had really tasty food. The bathroom was white and clean with nice toiletries. The staff are friendly and helpful. (I've heard their rooftop deck is pretty amazing but I didn't get a chance to check it out.)

What wasn't so great? This place needs a coat of paint. The hallways felt dirty. My room felt not as sleek and new as their other properties. And my room was TINY. I even had an upgraded room, and it was miniature. The elevators are RIDICULOUS. There are 8 or so of them, give or take, and they only had 2 functioning most of the time. I waited 15 MINUTES for one (literally). I took the stairs down from my floor on multiple occasions. The escalator down from the lobby to the street was being serviced for 3 of the days I was there and I had to take some back staircase to even get out of the lobby. Really really frustrating.

I am glad I checked out this property but really wish it had been more in line with expectations. Next time I'm in NYC, I'll stay at a different Morgans property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear srlndstrm,

Thank you for expressing your concerns during your recent Hudson stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you encountered waiting for our lifts. We recently completed a $40 million dollar renovation on all guest rooms and we are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations. As a repeat guest we hope to have the opportunity to host you again and regain your faith back into Hudson. Please contact us directly when you plan your next trip to NYC.

Warm regards,
Sabrina

Been to Hudson Hotel New York? Share your experiences!