“small rooms, amazing views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson Hotel New York

You added Hudson Hotel New York to your Saves list
Hudson Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   356 West 58th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #354 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Crown Point, Indiana
“small rooms, amazing views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My then boyfriend and I visiting NYC for the first time in 2011. We went in July, the weather was perfect, you couldn't have picked a better location to stay. We walked EVERYWHERE!!! The hotel is centrally located, I believe the only time we took a cab was when we went to ground zero. My boyfriend proposed to me in Central Park on July 4th at midnight. We haven't been back since but would love to go again. We celebrated our engagement on the terrace that had unbelievable views of the city. We loved lounging in the chic area next to the bar outside. The only complaint is obviously the room size. We read reviews prior as that seems to be everyones complaint but I think the style of the hotel makes up for everything. Who sleeps while they visit NYC anyway? ;)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SabrinaPomilio, Guest Relations Manager at Hudson Hotel New York, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Mstick,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback from your July stay at Hudson! Congratulations on the engagement, we are delighted you celebrated such a special occasion at our Sky Terrace. We would love to host you again at Hudson. Our restaurant and in room dining with be returning in February with an entirely new concept. Henry, formerly Hudson Bar, will also be returning during the Spring season with a new concept as well. We encourage you to return so you can experience all of these fun changes! Please reach out to us when you plan your next visit!

Sabrina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
North America
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Although the price was very attractive, and I thought at the time of booking that I wasn't going to spend much time in the room, that size didn't matter, the real problem was the noise. If you ask for a room away from the bar (which can be really noisy) you just end up with street and traffic noise. The main reason for this is that the windows are very thin with single pane glass and it simply feels like you are sleeping in the street. The heating is behind the head board and again is really noisy and blows air directly onto the bed. There is no room service or a coffee maker, so this makes things difficult if you want to work late or you need a coffee before you start your day. There is a bakery just down the street where you can buy coffee, pastries and hot food, but in the middle of winter it is not ideal. The rooms are very small, and I nearly knocked myself out when I was trying to blow dry my hair!! I am sorry but I could not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Travellinggirl2010,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Hudson experience with others. We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. We are sorry you experienced some discomfort during your stay with us. I do have great news to share, we will be relaunching our in room dining service in February, and we do have many other larger rooms available. We would love to invite you back in hopes of regaining your faith back in Hudson. Please contact me directly when you plan your next trip to NYC.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Hudson is a very chic, boutique style hotel to see and be seen. Its has a restaurant and 2 nice bars....one for hotel guests only. The outdoor bar is a great place for after work drinks and the ambience is chic/elegant. The rooms are rather small...but then so are most NYC hotel rooms. Great location ..and geared more towards couples than families. Love staying there when Im in town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Violetta M,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience with others, we appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. Were delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our public outlets. We will actually be re-opening our restaurant in February and re-launching our in room dining with that. We welcome you and your guests to frequent our new restaurant and other public spaces as everyone is welcome at Hudson. Please contact us when you plan your next visit so we can make sure we recognize you as a regular!

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This boutique hotel is located close to everything, yards from the subway, about 1/3 mile from Central Park, a 10 minute walk from Times Square, etc. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms were not large, but not small. We had a room with 2 queen size beds, it also had a small fridge, and the bathroom, although small, was fine. The hallway decor was rather deco, lime green lights/doors with grey accents and carpeting. There was also a decent fitness center in the basementI would put it on par with a Sheraton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with 2 beds if possible, they are larger corner rooms from our experience.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear airbus32,

Thank you for sharing your Hudson experience with others! We appreciate your patronage to Hudson! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and the location of Hudson! Indeed we are in a great location to walk around and find historic NYC landmarks. We hope to see you again soon so you can discover more of NYC. Please contact us when you plan your next visit so we can make sure its another enjoyable one!

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location, right near Columbus Circle, Central Park, 5th Avenue etc.

Yes the rooms are the smallest I have ever seen, but the beds are very comfortable.

The main issue I had with this hotel was the service. I love traveling in the US because normally everyone I come across is super friendly, ready to assist and happy to have a chat. Dont expect that here, expect to be treated like you are a bother rather than a guest.

My main service issues were:

1. Breakfast service - I got ignored and had to get up to find someone to help me, the people were barely able to be polite.
2. I asked reception to investigate a noise that went on all through my first night. 5 hours later I came back and nothing had been done, they said someone went up and there was a do not disturb sign on the door ( there was no such sign ). They said they would send someone up again, that person never came
3. The same noise happened 2 nights later at 11pm, I rang reception to have someone come investigate and they said they would send someone up. No one ever came.

The noise is an issue with their heating system. It sounds like someone is consistently hitting the pipes with a crow bar.

On further investigation and upon overhearing other guests complain of the same thing it is obviously an issue with this hotel so be prepared.

However obviously this hotel is not able to admit they have this problem as I overheard several other guests complain about the same noise and the standard response to me and others was
" we will send someone from engineering up to have a look" however they actually dont do anything at all.

Really, the hotel should just admit they have a problem and be done with it, stop pretending that they are looking into an issue when in fact they are just ignoring it and lying to guests.

I never once was greeted with warm hello, a friendly chat or even a feigned interest in anything. I was never asked how I enjoyed my stay, nothing.

I certainly will not ever stay here again, as there are plenty of other hotels in the same location where you would get better service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear KATSYD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Hudson experience, we appreciate your candid feedback about your recent stay. I want to apologize for the lack of hospitable service and any room issues you had, this is not a reflection of Hudson's standards. We pry on delivering an engaging, dynamic, guest experience to all of our guests during all interactions. Please know your feedback has been shared through out our team so we can review what we missed during your stay. If you would like to provide further details about your stay please feel free to contact me directly.

San Mateo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a tough hotel to review because the rooms are indeed as minuscule as people say. The bathroom is so tiny that if you are at all overweight (or just tall), you will find it tough to navigate. So be prepared for a room that looks like it should be in the cabin of a ship (and no, not a suite). On the other hand, the price and location were extremely good. I bid on Priceline and paid $175 (before tax) for a room for my adult child and me (one queen bed) -- that's a good price for one block off Central Park. I found the service to be good, and we both slept comfortably. And you walk out of the hotel and down 10th street or across Central Park. So there are super good (and reasonable) restaurants nearby. I would say this: 1) If you are a young single person or a young couple, this place is great. If you are traveling with a family, at all overweight or tall, or plan on spending much (i.e. any) time in your hotel room, then you should not stay there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Laurel F,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your Hudson experience, we appreciate the time you took to express your feedback with others. I'd like to inform you that we do indeed have larger available rooms at Hudson that may cater to families or guests traveling in a party over two. Should you be interested in reserving a room like this in the future, please let me know and I would be more than happy to assist.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Great atmosphere at this hotel, bar was fun and the manager Tina at the Hudson lodge was great with any issues we had. The rooms are tiny and uncomfortable but we stayed in a basic queen just for 1 night. We pre gamed at the Hudson lodge and partied at Lavo.. night was awesome!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear twistam1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Hudson experience! We are delighted Tina and the rest of our staff made sure you had a great evening at Hudson Lodge! We have many more exciting changes happening to our public outlets in 2013, we encourage you and your guests to return!

Let us know when you plan your next visit!

Sabrina

Been to Hudson Hotel New York? Share your experiences!