“WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN” 1 of 5 stars

You added Holiday Inn SoHo New York to your Saves list
Holiday Inn SoHo New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (SoHo)   |
Wiesbaden, Hessen, Germany
“WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I recently completed a 60 day stay at this facility. I have never been so disappointed with a Hotel in my life. For the price charged you would think they would be able offer better customer service. I have a dispute with my bill I call the hotel to which I get no satisfaction. I call central registration in hopes of getting some form of customer service only to transferred three times and to finally be told they can not help me either and suggest I contact the same hotel which could not help me in the first place. The rooms are too small, the lock on my door would malfunction every three to four days which would require Engineering to reprogram the door. The so called fitness center is a JOKE! I will say the cleaning staff was great and I loved the ladies that prepared breakfast every morning. Customer service at the front desk was hit and miss. My main concern deals with my billing. As a government employee I asked for a received the government rate for my stay. Mind you I was there for TWO MONTHS!! Upon my return I was informed the rate for the last two days of my stay dropped $108, when I called and asked for my bill to be adjusted I was flat out told no. I fail to understand how a hotel that states they except the government rate would refuse to make an adjustment. If I ever get the chance to visit NYC again either on business or pleasure you can best believe I will not waste my time nor money in this facility.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Yvette,
Sorry that you were not satisfied with the rate arrangement, as you knew at time of booking the the Government rate changes based on season, in January it goes to it's lowest point. What we did is honored the lower rate for you when it applied, at the beginning of your stay we had a higher rate which you agreed to pay. We actually tried to do the right thing by lowering your rate as you extended your stay into the low demand season. I would think that would be a reason for a favorable rating.
Best regards,
Hotel management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I was very happy with my stay at this hotel. I wasn't sure what to expect but have nothing but good things to say. The rooms are small but not any smaller than typical NYC hotel rooms. They were very clean, had comfortable beds, and was a great location. The room we had was also very quiet. I did not hear the noice of the city at all. We walked to all the restaurants and bars that we wanted to visit and didn't need to take any transportation. Staff was also extremely friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words,
we hope to see you again soon,

Sincerly,
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our family of 4 have been here since 31 Dec 2013 and we are actually still staying here but feel quite strongly about the poor level of service here. Our stay is for a total of 11 nights. We are seasoned travellers and my wife and I are both professionals.

Our room is an Executive (two double bed) room and is spacious and passable - the whole hotel is dated and needs upgrading.

We are staying on the 9th floor so the noise outside overnight is still there, but less than the problem it might be on the lower levels. To be fair, it has not affected out ability to sleep and my wife is a light sleeper.

For the first three days we kept having to remind them we are 4 people and need more towels. The room maid then rebuffed us when she saw us, saying---oh, you are the people complaining about the towels! As if we had done something wrong! - Well, hello, we are 4 people - isn't that a basic inclusion??

Breakfast is only fair and not great and finishes quite early at 10am and if you arrive just prior to 10am they frown upon you and warn they will close on time...unless of course you provide tips as we saw others do and suddenly hey presto more food arrives!! The breakfast staff have attitude and make it feel like they are doing you a favour being there, not the other way around.

For the first three nights we had problems accessing the free Wi-Fi in the room and received a message that the 150 user license had been exceeded. Upon calling reception, they apologised, were aware of the problem, and said we would need to keep trying until others logged out. The two free drinks offered as recompense didn't fix the problem and despite asking to speak to a manager about it, the manager never contacted us, we spoke to him instead at reception and he said the problem had since been fixed - which it had. But it meant we had to log on very late for the first 3 nights to finish our research, checks emails etc (ie 12.30pm/1am!).

We had 4 items delivered to us while staying here and on no occasion did the hotel inform us of the arrival of the items - we had to make enquiries each time. The last item was a surprise gift from a New Yorker friend who sent us over $150 worth of fresh food from Little Italy in the Bronx. 24 hours later, it was only when I received an email from our friend to advise it had been sent, did I check with reception. Initially they said no, nothing had come in. They then called a few minutes later and said, sorry, yes, it has come in and has been here in reception - since the previous day - over 24 hours previously. They then, after not being aware anything had arrived, claimed they tried to call us the previous night - but no message was left, no note under the door, no text message, no attempt at all to advise us of the bag of food, despite the fact that a cursory perusal of the bag would have revealed fresh food - numerous deli items.

As the room has no bar fridge - ( a shock to us as it is the most expensive room) - I asked if they could refrigerate the items - "no, sorry, we have no fridges - only the kitchen does!!!" And this was after they had held on to the items for over 24 hrs!!! I complained and they apologised and offered a $50 credit to our account - hardly appropriate.

The one night we had dinner here we were the only ones dining, and I was advised the whole night had been very quiet - no wonder. The waitress was new but was very courteous and polite - what a change!

This hotel is a mixed bag. While the pricing is reasonable for the area, the lack of service and poor attitude of staff is profound - is also needs an upgrade. What attracted us was the spacious room which is at a higher cost than the standard rooms, needed for our luggage as we have a long trip, travelling also to a warm climate later.

I do not recommend staying here. Those who give this hotel a good rating must either be lucky or must have no idea as to what proper service should be like.

Room Tip: If you really must stay here, choose an Executive room on high level are they are larger and quiete...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,
This matter was brought to my attention yesterday and was investigated. I'm sorry if the solution was not to your satisfaction. I will personally reach out to you to make sure there is no confusion.
The room attendant that you are referring to has been at the hotel for over 20 years and she said she would never say such a thing to a guest. not sure if it was a language problem on our part. and I apologize for that. as I mentioned I will personally contact you to get this matter resolved and you leave our hotel satisfied.

General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Spent 11 nights in this hotel but was shocked to hear the train and the movement of it. Not helpful as a light sleeper. Hotel needed updated and cleaning, was not impressed stayed in better hotels for less.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear JB,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. Responses such as yours can only assist us in improving the quality of our service. We apologize for the Train noise specially if you were here for 11 nights, we should have moved you to a higher floor specially if you are a light sleeper out of the country not used to the nature of the big Apple. Please feel free to contact us at any time for a resolution.
Best Regards,
Management and Staff team at the Holiday Inn Soho
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Best little kept secret. We always stay at the Crown Plaza in Times Square. Needed a change. Yes the room is small but very comfortable. There are three big drawers under the TV to put your clothes. Toiletries are ok but again it's all about the price. Staff was amazing. Never had a problem. We LOVED the noisy air conditioner. It lulled us to sleep and kept the noise at bay from the hall and outside. Upper floor was great. We were on the lucky 13th floor. Lucky Chinese number we were told. Close to everything. Mulberry street is a little 10 minute walk. Great hot stone massages all over the place. Best foot massages also so close to the hotel. No frills but for the price, it was great. Housekeeping was awesome and front desk fabulous. Definitely staying at this hotel next time. AND FREE WIFI!!!

Room Tip: Of course upper floors are better. But hey it's NYC.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Claudie,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best Regards,

The Management and Staff at the Holiday Inn Soho.
Boston, MA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have stayed at this location in the past and always loved how close it was to SoHo and the Village. I was scheduled to stay here this weekend but Mother Nature had other plans. My bus was cancelled due to a snowstorm and I had no other way to get to NYC for the weekend. I had pre-paid for my room so when I called to cancel I had already accepted the fact that I was most likely out of luck in regards to any sort of refund. However, I figured people may be stranded in NYC due to the storm and wanted to cancel the reservation so they could rebook the room for someone that could use it. Even though I did not request a refund it was given to me right away! I am so impressed with this and am already trying to figure out a make-up date for my trip and I will be staying here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ryan,
Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words,
we hope to see you again soon,

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed for 1 night on a horribly humid day. The room was really small, couldn't imagine a couple staying in it with anything larger than 1 or 2 carry-on sized bags. My room was clean but the air conditioner was insanely loud but effective enough that I didn't need to run it all night. The room was noisy but considering it is located on Canal St there are no surprises there. Certainly can't beat the location. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was ok, the water pressure was fine. I made the mistake of paying a ridiculous amount of money for breakfast, definitely can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Saffy2,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn SoHo New York? Share your experiences!