“Forget the "King Superior"” 2 of 5 stars

You added Holiday Inn SoHo New York to your Saves list
Holiday Inn SoHo New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (SoHo)   |
Hudson, New York
“Forget the "King Superior"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Used to stay quite often for business and was looking forward to new 'upgrades'.
The room was so small that you couldn't pull the chair out from the desk or even walk around the bed.
When I asked for an upgrade I was told all the King Superior rooms were the same.
Yeah the bed was a king but the room was far from superior.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear LJ S,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My group of 4 stayed here for 2 nights/3 days and had a great experience. The hotel was right in the middle of the action, with the 911 Memorial nearby, Brooklyn Bridge, and Canal Street right outside your door. The room was clean and we were brought more towels and toiletries when we requested. We stayed in a corner room with a king bed and a pull out queen bed. Top floor was a nice surprise! The area is convenient for walking to other locations in the day time, but we were a little concerned at night. For dinner, we were steps from Little Italy. The only downfall was the breakfast buffet-we ate and then got a bill for $24(I think) per person after the hostess asked if we were staying in the hotel. I would have much rather eaten somewhere else, but nothing was accomplished even after approaching the front dest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you and hope to host you again in the near future.

Middletown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Prefatory Note
Before I begin my review for my most recent stay at this hotel, a 5-day in early August of 2013, let me say that I have stayed at this hotel a great number of times over the past four years, and my number of stays across that time period likely totals at least 25 stays, for a total of over 115 days (that is, about 4 months).

And for one final prefatory note, I should mention that I have stayed in a great number of hotels across the USA, and in four foreign countries, since 1997, and these hotels have covered a wide range of price and ratings, ranging from one-star motels in tiny towns in the Western US to large 5-star urban hotels located in both the USA and India. So I have seen, and stayed in, a very wide range of hotels in the past 15 years.

And Now, For My Current Review
I will first start out by mentioning that I am the kind of reviewer that urban hotels dread most, because, unlike most of the tourist-type guests who stay in hotels in large cities such as New York -- and who tend to spend most of each day and even most evenings away from their hotel rooms -- I spend a very large portion of daytime hours each day, and all of my evenings and nighttimes, in my hotel room when I visit New York City, simply due to the demands of my work, and because I do not "do" touristy-type things, nor do I "do" the urban nightlife scene.

Now, the reason that I wrote above that guests such as myself are often a large-city hotel's worst nightmare when it comes to reviews is simply because of the fact that guests such as myself tend to spend perhaps 20 hours out of each day in their rooms (or in the lobby and dining areas) at the hotel, and thus get to see far more of what really goes on in a hotel's hallways, elevators and lobby than does a tourist-type guest, and guests such as myself tend to have a far greater number, and variety, of interactions with hotel staffers -- ranging from housekeepers, bell staff and food-service staff to managers and front-desk staff, during their stay than do most tourists.

And Yet. ....
Despite all the facts that I have noted above that would tend to make me a rather harsh critic of a hotel, I have once again, in this current review (as I have done in all of my previous Trip Advisor reviews for this property), chosen to give the Holiday Inn SoHo a 5-star rating. That is, to me, quite significant!

All that I can tell you about my most recent stay in this hotel is that, once again, my stay was as near-perfect as can be expected in any hotel in this day and age. And, once again, as has been true of all of the previous reviews that I have logged for this hotel on Trip Advisor, I cannot think of even one problem or complaint about my stay that would be significant enough to even warrant mentioning here. On the contrary -- and has always been the case in all of my many previous stays -- my stay at this property was easeful and trouble-free, and, as usual, I found my room to be amazingly spacious (by Manhattan hotel standards), meticulously clean, and well-furnished.

Some Details
I like this hotel, and that is why I keep coming back to it; it is as simple as that. In fact, whenever I need to stay in lower Manhattan, and need to be anywhere near Tribeca, Chinatown, SoHo, LES (Lower East Side), Little Italy, NoLita or Greenwich Village, I choose only this hotel.

Some Highlights
I have largely covered what I like about this hotel in my five or six previous TA reviews over the past 3 years, but here is a brief recap of the highlights:

-- With only a very few and rare exceptions scattered across the years, I have always found the staff, whether they be managers, front desk staff, housekeepers, or bell staff, to be very helpful, attentive and responsive, and very often willing to go well beyond the basic definition of their duties to help to meet the needs of their guests. In fact, during a lengthy stay here in September 2012, I noticed one front desk staffer, apparently a new staffer at the trainee level, who did not seem to be particularly skilled at treating guests and other people with respect and friendliness, and I have noticed during my three subsequent visits that she is no longer working here as a staff member; it is very reassuring to me to see that the hotel management pays attention to qualities such as care, attentiveness, helpfulness and responsivity (or lack thereof) in its staffers.

-- I consistently find the ground floor entry, the second floor lobby, the restaurant seating area, the hallways, and the rooms to be very clean, well-furnished, and very presentable, and to all the necessary basic amenities.

-- While it is true that hotel rooms in hotels located in Manhattan, and particularly rooms in the under-$700 per night price range, are rather small compared to hotel rooms in many other parts of the USA (and that is simply due to the realities of very high real estate prices and very high property taxes here in NYC), I have consistently found that rooms in this hotel, while still on the small side, are considerably larger than comparably-priced rooms in other nearby hotels in the same price range.

-- The location here is great: While the hotel itself is located in lower SoHo, it is mere yards from Chinatown, Little Italy, NoLita, the Lower East Side (LES), and TriBeCa, and just a short walk from lower Greenwich Village, Washington Square and Union Square. For those who use NYC's excellent subway system (I personally avoid it myself, and either walk or take a cab to wherever I am going), there are subway stops, all of them on Canal St., for over a dozen different lines located within a very short distance of the hotel.

-- Whenever I have encountered small problems or bumps during any of my numerous stays here, the staff and management have been very responsive in remediating the problems as quickly as possible.

-- I have consistently found management and staff to be helpful in other ways as well. As just one case in point, I almost always ask via email and by phone, well in advance, for early an check-in, and in each and every case, the hotel has been able to meet my requests.

Time to Address Some Complaints I've Seen About this Hotel
And now, simply because I have spent so much time in so many rooms at this hotel over the past 3 years, I would like to take a few moments of my time to respond to some rather puzzling and even bizarre comments regarding this hotel that I have noticed in TA reviews for this hotel over the past two years:

"No fridges in rooms" -- This is true, but the reviewers have missed some key points. As is true with most hotel rooms in NYC in the sub-$700 price range, the rooms do not have refrigerators, but small rental refrigerators are easily available; all you need to do is ask the front desk for a rental fridge.

"You must pay for Internet" -- This is simply not true. Any hotel guest (and also any of their own guests/visitors as well) using a WiFi-equipped device is able to use the hotel's WiFi Internet service for free, and the front desk supplies the WiFi password to registered guests at the time of check-in. However, it is true that many other Manhattan hotels in this price range, and even in the $600-plus price range, DO charge a daily fee for high-speed WiFi Internet access; I have recently stayed several times at a midtown Manhattan hotel where I paid $10 per day for high-speed WiFi access! So, to this day, I have been unable to figure out what these past TA reviewers have been whining about!

"You must pay to use the Internet-equipped and printer-equipped Windows desktop PCs and printers in the lobby" -- This is true, and I have personally used these printer-equipped desktop PCs located in the lobby (near the front desk) a few times myself, at times when I have needed to print tickets or boarding passes. I feel that the per-minute pricing rate (well, the per-10-minute rate, as I recall. ...) for these Windows PCs is entirely reasonable, and I will point out that every other hotel in the NYC area in which I have ever stayed, wheneber they have provided Internet-equipped and printer-equipped PCs in lobby, has always charged the same per-minute rate, or a higher rate. In fact, I have paid higher per-minute rate to use hotel-provided desktop PC even in hotels located in Kansas City, and in Denver, and in Florida. ... So, exactly WHAT is it that these TA reviwers were whining about? I personally suspect that these particular reviewers had simply not stayed at any other hotels in the US at any time over the past 10 years. ...

"Curtains cover the below-window AC/Heat Unit" -- Not true. Speaking from vast experience, as I have stayed in rooms on most floors in this hotel, I can say the following with confidence: The windows in the rooms are not provided with curtains or drapes, but rather with heavy blackout-type drape-quality shades which fit inside the window casement and which may be raised or lowered at will. Even at their lowest position, the heavy drape/shade does not leave the window casement/frame, and thus is not able to cover the below-window AC/heating unit in any way.

"Tiny rooms" -- Not really true at all in comparison with other Manhattan hotel rooms in the under-$700 per night price range; see my rather exhaustive personal observations on this matter of room size about 10 paragraphs above this one! Anyone who would dare to write in a TA review that the rooms in this hotel are tiny has obviously never stayed in any other hotel rooms in Manhattan that fall in the under-$700 per night price category. In fact, it is my observation that the reviewers who make this claim are almost always first-time visitors to Manhattan, and this hotel, unfortunately, was therefore the first hotel in which they had ever stayed in Manhattan.

"Tiny bathrooms" -- Not true at all in comparison with other Manhattan hotel rooms in the under-$600 per night price range. Anyone who would dare to write in a TripAdvisor review that the bathrooms in the rooms in this hotel are tiny has obviously never stayed in any other hotel rooms in Manhattan that fall in the under-$600 per night price category.

A Tip
Finally, in closing, I will offer ONE BIG TIP that applies not only to stays at this hotel, but at any hotel. This is a guideline that I have carefully formulated after literally hundreds of stays in hotels across the USA over the past 12 years, and after having read numerous reviews from both happy guests and unhappy guests at various hotels on TA and on other review websites. Here is my advice:
If you are planning to stay at a hotel, and if you want to get the best rooms, to have access to the best available options, and get the best service when you arrive, then make your own reservations with the hotel using the hotel's own website, or by calling the hotel directly by phone, and completely avoid using any of the numerous third-party "discounted" websites that promise to find you a lower room rate; these discounted/low-price services almost always sell only the smallest and cheapest rooms available, and many of these services fail to accurately convey to the hotel property guest-specific requests such as those for non-smoking rooms, or for a room with two beds, etc.

In Closing....
In summary, my most recent stay was great, as usual! I would like to thank the staff and management of the hotel for yet another fine stay, and I will likely be returning to this hotel for yet another lengthy stay in October of this year Thank you for everything, and I look forward to seeing your staff and property again in two months time!

Room Tip: Reserve a City View room or better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Perth australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights after we had a disaster with a previous booking elsewhere. We turned up after midnight and it was no hassle checking in, room was fairly big, clean, big bed- bathroom was basic and the shower was wheelchair accessable so the floor flooded quite easily. The area was easy walking distance to some nice bars and only 10 mins from little Italy where we had great food. We had a decent stay but found a cheaper better hotel in soho for the next 3 nights.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear stephanie101photo,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. It is nice to know that you have not encountered any problems at check in. It is unfortunate the bathroom conditions prevented you from fully enjoying your stay at the hotel. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here in October 2012. We were in NYC for a wedding. Our room was considered a "large" room. I know NY hotels are small. Every inch of space must be used. The problem was the lack of cleanliness! The room was filthy! The carpet was so dirty I didn't even want to put my luggage on it! Everything about it was disgusting. The entire hotel was dirty! I felt "dirty" anytime I was in the room. I would NEVER stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
AYMAN A, Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I'm surprised to see this review for a stay that is over 10 months old. I hoped to receive it soon er if it's indeed in regard to our hotel!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We spent a long weekend in the city with too much on our list to do. We picked HI for the price and location. Great access to the subway n, q, r, with a, c, e just a few blocks away on sixth. Walking distance to shopping, wine bars, and too many restaurants to mention. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Explore Often,
appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad to hear you found our location convenient for your activities in the city and you found the room to be clean and comfortable.
We hope to see you again soon,
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Perfect location - close to Little Italy and Broadway. There's a lot of small businesses off Broadway if you want to avoid the chain stores of the SoHo stretch.
We were lucky and got a large room (808) which is rare in NY.
The bell captain was very helpful and booked us a taxi to JFK well ahead - we were glad it arrived 5 minutes early so no rush there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ladygoldilocks,

We appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad to hear you found our location to be perfect and enjoyed the larger room. Thank you also for your kind words regarding the Bell-desk.
We hope to see you again soon,

Ayman Agamy

Been to Holiday Inn SoHo New York? Share your experiences!