“Holiday in Soho, New York, wonderful !!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn SoHo New York

You added Holiday Inn SoHo New York to your Saves list
Holiday Inn SoHo New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #305 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Auckland, New Zealand
“Holiday in Soho, New York, wonderful !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

have stayed a lot at holiday inns & enjoy our stays.. good pricing, good clean rooms, friendly staff..
New York is a traveller's delight..
food, shopping and so many hotels to choose from.
...
I chose Holiday Inn Soho for its wonderful location.. close to Soho, Chinatown, Little Italy,
We stayed 10 days and being close to the subway.. we used the city metro to travel to many places.
Friendly Staff: Checking in .. greeted by friendly staff,, and over our stay Liz & Stefan were tops.. Checking-out.. a real breeze
Room: Priority member.. we were upgraded to the 13th floor.. wonderful views over the city.. we saw sunny skies, rain and mist, thunderstorms..
Wi-fi: free and so good .. .. checking emails, keeping in touch
Location: nearby ...so many restaurants, shops , banks, bakeries, deli's ..
overall: thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would make this hotel top of our list for New York

Room Tip: Higher floors for the view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Chesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The location of this hotel is good, close to the subway, and it fulfilled its role as a good base for a business trip to Manhattan. The staff were helpful and friendly, although we were appalled when they ran out of red wine! Although there was a problem with my booking when we arrived, the receptionist sorted it out quickly and efficiently.
My room was on the top floor and had no noise and a decent view, but my colleagues on lower floors had the noise of the subway and the street. The rooms were clean, but with fairly minimal facilities: no safe, no fridge, no milk for tea. The size was about average for New York. There was no door on the wardrobe, which was a little annoying.

Room Tip: Higher is quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Middletown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Preface
Before I start with my review for my most recent stay at this hotel in April 2013, let me say that I have stayed at this hotel a great number of times over the past four years, and my number of stays across those years likely totals at least 24 stays, and the total number of days that I have stayed in this hotel during that time span easily totals over 110 days, that is, at least almost 4 months, and likely even longer if I were to take the time to total up all of the individual stays and the days involved.

And for yet one more prefatory note, I will metion that I have stayed in a great number of hotels across the USA, and in four foreign countries, since 1997, and these hotels have covered a wide range of price and ratings, ranging from one-star motels in tiny towns in the Western US to large 5-star urgan hotels located in both the USA and India.

And Now, On to the Body of My Current Review
I will first start out by mentioning that, in many ways, I am the kind of reviewer that many big-city hotels dread most, because, unlike most of the tourist-type guests who stay in hotels in large cities such as New York -- and who, being tourists, tend to spend most of each day, and even many evenings, away from their hotel rooms -- I spend a very large portion of daytime hours each day, and all of my evenings and nighttimes, in my hotel room when I visit New York City, simply due to the demands of my work, and because I do not "do" touristy-type things, nor do I "do" the urban nightlife scene.

Now, the reason that I wrote above that guests such as myself are often a large-city hotel's worst nightmare when it comes to reviews is simply because of the fact that guests such as myself tend to spend perhaps 20 hours out of each day in their rooms (or in the lobby and dining areas) at the hotel, and thus get to see far more of what really goes on in a hotel's hallways, elevators and lobby than a tourist-type guest, and guests such as myself tend to have a far greater number, and variety, of interactions with hotel staffers -- ranging from housekeepers, bell staff and food-service staff to managers and front-desk staff.

And now, here is the grand finale to the caveats that I have offered above:
Despite all the facts that I have noted above that would tend to make me a rather harsh critic of a hotel, I have once again, in this current review (as I have done in all of my previous Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel), given the Holiday Inn SoHo a 5-star rating. That, to me, is notable!

All that I can tell you about my most recent stay (mid and late April 2013) in this hotel is that, once again, my stay was as near-perfect as can be expected in any hotel in this day and age. And, once again, as has been true of all of the previous reviews that I have logged for this hotel on Trip Advisor, I cannot think of even one problem or complaint about my stay that would be significant enough to even warrant mentioning. On the converse, and as usual, my stay at this property was easeful and trouble-free, and, as usual, I found my room (I had reserved a City View room with a queen-sized bed) to be amazingly spacious, meticulously clean, and well-appointed.

And, on this most recent stay, since the hotel knows from past experience that I always request a refrigerator for my room, I found the refrigerator waiting for me in the room when I checked in, without even having had to specifically request it! This is not a big deal, but it was rather thoughtful of the hotel management, and it made my stay a bit more easful.

As always, I found the hotel staffers and management in all areas (i.e., housekeeping, front-desk, reservations, bell/greeter service, food service and maintenance/engineering) to be very helfpul, friendly, polite and competent.

If you wish to see more of my comments regarding the rooms (I have never had an undesirable room yet at this hotel across over 110 days of stay over a 4-year span, hallways (always clean and well-lighted, and rather wider than is the norm for the many Manhattan hotels which were built in an earlier era), lobby or food service, you are welcome to peruse any of my earlier five or six reviews for this hotel.

In summary, my most recent stay was great, as usual! I would like to thank the staff and management of the hotel for yet another fine stay, and I will likely be returning to this hotel for yet another lengthy stay sometime in June or July of this year Thank you for everything!

Room Tip: If you reserve a City View room, you will tend to get placed on a higher floor, farther from subway...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
WOW!!! Thank you very much for your kind words. I am delighted to hear that we offered you nothing less than a 5 star stay!!! We appreciate that you noticed our outstanding service, the cleanliness of our product and our favorable location. Your comments are very much appreciated. Please know that it will be shared with my staff. We look forward to welcoming you again at your home away from home!

General Manager.
Baltimore MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The room was clean, well decorated, very spacious for NY standards, staff was friendly and helpful, location is good. On a less positive note the bed was only ok and you could hear the vibrations of the metro about ten floors below us... Sort of unusual. Considering we got a very good rate on the web, we had a very positive experience.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

With the exception of a quite comfortable bed and acceptable bathroom cleanliness, the experience of visiting this hotel was poor. On arrival rude door / reception staff bark at customers, or ignore them altogether while they talk to each other in any language other than English. In fact, that goes for almost everyone who we encountered in the hotel. The decor is horrible and tired throughout. The room was small - though cavernous compared to those at The Hudson - and no safe or fridge. A wonky cheap blind didn't keep the daylight out in the morning. As we left no one was available or willing to help with bags and a pointless 'security guard' stood and watched as we struggled with bags and ignored us when we asked for help. Avoid. There are so many better hotels in NY and SoHo without needing to visit a place that clear feels it doesn't have to try. Oh, and the 'gym' should have a sign on saying 'abandon hope all ye etc'

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Even though I'm not sure this review is in regard to our hotel, for I truely think you are mistaken in the hotel. as per countles other reviews talks about hospitality and service, we just went though major renovation and updated all guest rooms, we do have fridges available and we ordered safes for all guest rooms that are being installed right now. we also have safes availavbe at the front desk. if you do beileve this is in regard to our hotel. please email me directly so we can discuss further.
regards,
General manager
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I used to work for IHG and this hotel appalled me. The porters just stood and watched me struggle in the rain through the door with six cases then shouted in Chinese/English at me to move. The room was tiny with no fridge or safe and the staff at every contact treated me as an inconvenience to their daily duties. This hotel barely qualifies as a holiday inn I'm sure and I have been better off putting my money elsewhere. Come on IHG - where are your brand standards? If i could give 0 out of 5 I would. The ONLY positive was the location for an appointment I had otherwise this is Chinatown and not Soho so be warned.

• Stayed May 2013
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Please contact me to discuss the issues mentioned on your review. Again I'm surprised to the level of dissatisfaction expressed here. and I would like to get more information to make sure it's all resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,
General manger.
Atlanta, Ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

There is nothing special about this place at all - except that the rooms are tiny (as per typical NY). The hotel needs updating - very tired decor. Free wifi. Our room wasn't available until 3, which is the check-in time, but still... Has a tiny restaurant where you can get a $5. cup of bad coffee - unneccesary, of course, becasuse this is NY and good coffee is available just next door at the Smile To Go Cafe (yummy, recommended). The hotel is close to the subway as long as you want the 4,5,6 which doesn't connect conveniently to any other line, though you can walk up Canal to other lines. The hotel does have a work out room which is about the size of a suitcase. On the border of Soho/Chinatown. Hotel staff is cold and indifferent, though nice enough when we asked for towels, since they gave us two and we had three people. Best thing about this place is the concierge who hailed a cab when asked and arranged a car for return to airport.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street side. There won't be any view but there will be much less street...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear DawnousAtl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I appreciate the compliments on the concierge and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn SoHo New York? Share your experiences!