“Embarrassing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn SoHo New York

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn SoHo New York to your Saves list
Holiday Inn SoHo New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #307 of 449 hotels in New York City
Niagara Falls, New York
“Embarrassing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I have never been more embarrassed on a trip with my fiancé. I unfortunately choose this hotel because in the past Holiday Inn has offered a consistent product. This hotel is clean and crisp. No complaints for housekeeping. Great job. The breakfast staff was also very friendly. The front desk employees are miserable, have attitudes and blatantly made a comment about me and laughed one night as I rode down the escalator. I guess no one ever told them that they are the first and last encounter with their guests. My key card did not work three times and I had to go back to the desk to get another. Saturday night after getting back late from a night out so ready to get into the room the key wasnt working. The lady at the desk was polite, so thank you to the lady with the awesome nails! You turned a frown upside down. The third time it happened the women sent up a man to check my ID in the room. 0 privacy at this hotel. This morning the front desk was the rudest I have ever came across. Do you even want to be working here? My fiance is currently in the shower and I am laying in this bed. Annoyed I was offered nothing in return. I have worked and lived in a hotel for the last three years and I have never seen a guest have to come reset their key three times in a 2 night stay. I would not stay at this hotel if you are service oriented.

• Stayed September 2012
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for acknowledging that the room was clean and comfortable. I sincerely apologize for your key not working multiple times during your stay. I am surprised to hear that the person at the Front Desk was rude. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service, as evidenced by the many positive reviews we have received. I do not have enough information from your review to determine when this occurred, the name of the person involved or what room you had in order to investigate this further. Please contact me at any time to discuss this matter further.

797 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

The location was perfect. It was close to a subway line and in walking distance of everything we wanted to go to. The room was small, but it was very clean and was recently renovated to include contemporary furnishings. The bed was comfortable too! The bathroom was clean and shower was great. I would recommend the Holiday Inn SoHo to anyone looking to stay in NYC. We really lucked out for the price.

• Stayed September 2012
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear HappytravelerSTL,

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards
Montréal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We got to the hotel by taxi from Laguardia, it took about 20-25 minutes and cost 35$. The staff at front desk were very nice, funny and professionnal. The room was on the 5th floor, 2 double beds, clean and very confortable.
The room was small but we didn't care 'cos we only slept there. The bathroom was clean and water pressure was ok. Not very strong but good enough. No safe, no fridge, open closet and a 3 drawer desk. You can feel the subway shaking the rooms! And the AC is in the window and makes some noise. So if you need a dead silent place to sleep, the noise will bug you :(

Perfect location for shopping on Canal street (2 streets away) and little Italy. Subway is near by and you can also go to great small bars and restaurants with local people.

I would go back probably.

Room Tip: There are 3 elavators in this hotel, try not to get the rooms in front of them!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AYMAN A, General Manager at Holiday Inn SoHo New York, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Nancy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
I'm glad you found the hotel convenient and the staff funny and professional, Sorry you were able to feel the subway, next time, I would be happy to reserve a room at a higher floor so you wouldn’t hear the that noise.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a 2 double bed non smoking room. The room was standard size for nyc hotel. No fridge, no safe, safe in reception area. Bathroom is clean, the bedroom bedding is clean. The bell man is on the 1st floor, and reception on 2nd floor. There are computers, you must pay for internet, complimentary internet service for boarding pass. The hotel area is near chinatown, very close to the Canal st subway, many cute boutiques near the hotel. The area is not sketchy during the night. Hotel room is very quiet. I enjoyed it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear DaJoicee,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with other travelers, I'm glad you found the hotel location both convenient and safe. I’m also happy that you were able to do some shopping on the famous Canal St.

Hope to see you again soon.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We just left NYC after a two night stay at the Holiday Inn SoHo. It was Labor Day weekend and the hotel was full. What a great and affordable hotel! We had checked out hotels in and around NYC and this one had great prices and great reviews. Some of the reviews mentioned the subway noise, we were on the 4th floor and it just sounded like a distant thunder roll. It never woke anyone up and my two children thought my husband and I were crazy when we mentioned a subway train had just passed under us. This was not an issue at all. The hotel was clean, had small rooms (what do you expect?) great and friendly staff and was convenient to the subway and to all the attractions we took our children to see. Definately would stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Janice 316,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about the hotel , thank you also for your kind words regarding the service and I’m specially thankful that you found that we offer a good value. It is important to us to make sure our guests enjoy a pleasant stay and at a fair price. Hope to see you again soon.

Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nicely located in Soho, very close to the subway and the world renown Soho district,
China Town is really close by, Little Italy is a 10-15 mn walk. Rooms are quiet good, but the hotel needs a face lift from the inside.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear WissBeirut,

Thank you for writing this review, I see you stayed with us almost a year ago, I would like to give you the good news that: since then the hotel has undergone a full renovation, I hope you come back and see all the new and exciting results.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Had my parents stay here for two nights while they were visiting. I believe this is their third stay at the hotel, and I'd definitely have them stay at the Holiday Inn again. It's a great home base for resting and sleeping, as they don't need anything fancy beyond a comfortable bed and friendly staff and Chinatown restaurants less than two blocks away. The Mondrian is right around the corner, but the Holiday Inn feels more homey.

Pros
* Very friendly staff. The bellman Abhi (sp?) was especially helpful and super friendly. Liked the complimentary iced tea in lobby.
* Great location, especially for walking tours of SoHo, Chinatown, Little Italy.
* Comfortable, but small room. The bed was very comfortable and the furniture seemed pretty new. The bathroom was a little dated, but clean.
* Free wifi, but service was spotty at times.
* Tiny gym, new equipment.

Cons
* Tough to catch a taxi outside hotel. The bellman will help you, but it may take awhile. Use Uber or car service if you're on a tight schedule.
* Small room. The sleeping room is dominated by the king bed, with just enough room to walk around the bed.
* Window A/C unit a little loud. No central air.
* A little bit noisy. Can hear conversations outside and occasionally ice being dispensed from ice maker.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear hoostraveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this kind review about our hotel.
I'm pleased to learn that we became your home base when traveling to New York City.
Next time please let us know so we can pre arrange the taxi pickup for you. as for the AC units, we replaced the noisy units with new ones.
Hope to see you again soon.

Ayman Agamy

Been to Holiday Inn SoHo New York? Share your experiences!