“Quiet and Elegant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park

You added The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 West Street, New York City, NY 10004 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to $200 USD Credit
Ranked #98 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Coppell,Texas
“Quiet and Elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

Our family stayed over Labor Day weekend at the Ritz. We caught a play, did some sightseeing and attended the US Open.

Staff was very friendly and furnishings nice indeed. We had a city view (looking north) which was just fine. I'm sure the harbor views are even better.

We liked the solitude of the location and lack of traffic noise at night(plus the reasonable room rate). Make sure you take in a walk around Battery Park and then head up the nice walkway on the Hudson side to One World Financial. Great landscaping, yachts in port, etc. Then you can enter One World Financial and view Ground Zero from their lobby area. (This is a 4-5 block walk)

You can also walk over to the Seaport (which is about 10 blocks from the Ritz). We did this and had some pizza at Pizzeria Uno.

Unfortunately the subway stops near Battery Park don't operate on weekends, so you must cab it to go uptown. Other downside is the lack of restaurants within walking distance (although there are a few in the shopping/retail area of One World Financial). Cab rides to midtown are around $15.

Did not eat at the hotel except for drinks/appetizers at the lounge bar called "Rise" on the 14th floor. Very nice with great views on Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, etc. We even saw the Queen Mary 2 docked off Governors Island.

There is a great place one block over called the Amish Market. If you want snacks, drinks, deli items, breakfast just head over there. We ate breakfast there every day for $15 what would have cost $75 with room service.

Would definitely stay there again. Also would highly recommend an Italian eatery called Maria Pias in midtown on West 51st. This is just one block west from the "Wicked" theater. Dined with them twice. Great food and reasonable prices.

Stayed September 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

My wife and I had a very nice stay at the Ritz. We are from NJ and this was just a little getaway for the weekend. We have done this type of trip a number of times before and have typically booked through American Express.

We were given an upgrade to a harbor view room at check in. A nice surprise! The room was large and clean. By "large", I mean that it was a very nice size for a room in NYC. I've certainly stayed in larger and much much smaller. I can understand the previously mentioned comparisons to a Marriott, but in NYC this was a very nice-sized room. The telescope was a nice added treat and it worked very well. The bathroom was also very large and immaculate. While we didn't get a chance to utilize the bath butler, it looked pretty cool. One other thing: we loved our mattress and the concierge desk was very helpful in showing us how we could purchase the same. Two very restful nights!

My wife and I also enjoyed a massage in the spa, which was very clean, professional and relaxing. The restaurant was very nice and the sunday brunch was pretty spectacular: shrimp, cracked crab, salmon, omelettes, waffles, steak, chicken, and a dessert table to die for.

Two things stand out in my mind about the RC-BP. One is the service. I have never been in a hotel where everyone, from the maid to the bellman to the front desk staff, were so hospitable and would go out of their way to acommodate us.

Secondly, the location worked out very well for us. We live 5 miles outside of NY and were very happy to be removed from midtown. We spent all our time in Battery Park (the Museum of Jewish Heritage is a great stop) and also walked to Brooklyn (over the Brooklyn Bridge) and to Tribeca and Soho.

A beautiful hotel with all the amenities you would expect from 5 stars.

• Liked — The service and overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing really comes to mind
  • Tips/Secrets — try not to miss their Sunday Brunch!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

Stayed here just 1 night in August 2006. For me, the location is not so great, Battery Park is okay, but its quite far from the things we wanted to do in NYC and necessitated $15 cab rides each way to everything we wanted to do; couldn't take the subway reliably cuz of construction happening all over the place.

The hotel is new and big, but the lobby is quite small and noisy and active. Lots of groups staying there, and the volume of noise was more than I've come to expect from a luxury hotel. Staff are friendly and check-in was quick, but there was a refinement that was missing there... I did not like the lobby or lobby bar area at all.

The room was average size, and reminded me more of a marriot, albeit a nice marriot. The only things in the room that reminded me that I was in a luxury hotel were the size of the bathroom and the Bulgari bath products (nice touch). I've been lucky to stay at some nice properties, so maybe I'm just spoiled? But this hotel left me wanting for more... The best part was the rate that we got, quite below other luxury properties, even mid-range properties, in NYC. The Four Seasons, in comparison, is larger and quieter and has a sophistication about it that can't be beat...the extra cost is worth it.

If you want to stay in Battery Park, this is a fine choice, but if you're going to be spending lots of time in midtown or uptown, I'd stay somewhere else. The travel back and forth isn't worth it.

Stayed August 2006
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

We spent a recent weekend at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park and were enchanted by the serene, understated elegance of the lobby decor and our spacious, soothingly decorated room. The furniture and condition of the room were simply perfect. The bathroom was large enough to be a mini-spa and was stocked with deluxe Bulgari amenities. The bathrobes are the most luxurious I have ever seen -- super-plush terry with satin piping on the collar and sleeves. As constant travellers, we have seen the good, bad and ugly and this Ritz property sets new and higher standards for hotel excellence.

Perhaps the most outstanding feature was the gracious service, which starts from the moment you alight at the entrance and continues until you -- sadly -- must depart.

We enjoyed breakfast in our room and the room service fare was delicious and -- notably -- promptly served.

Do try one of the baths on the bath menu. Once selected, the bath butler will transform your bathroom into a candle-lit, aromatherapy event, and serve you a glass of champagne before leaving you to indulge in the perfect bath.

We paid only $275/night for this little slice of heaven and will gladly return when we are next in New York.

• Liked — Luxurious decor, peaceful enviroment, absolutely first rate service.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the custom baths from the bath butler
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Ritz for my cousin's wedding. It was our first stay, and we highly recommend the hotel. Yes, it's pricey (we were able to get discounted rooms as part of the wedding party) and the lower Manhattan location is far from the action in midtown, Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, etc. But it's a beautiful property, spacious and well-appointed rooms, good food and close to downtown, Wall Street, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.
Best of all is the service. The staff -- from the check-in clerk to bellhop to concierge to doormen to housekeeping -- are professional, courteous and friendly. The wedding reception was a first-class affair, and my cousin and her mother were extremely pleased with everything from the wedding planner to the food & drink to the waiter/waitress service and especially with the hard-working staff.
My wife and I travel a lot, usually with our children, but this was a special memorable romantic getaway for us!

• Liked — Staff and service
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

Stayed here for one night for my husband's birthday. We were upgraded to a fabulous suite - probably the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Huge windows that overlooked the harbor and Statue of Liberty. Our room (#317) was spotless, tastefully decorated, and like I said had many huge windows that showcased this spectacular view. We received not one but two bottles of complimentary champagne (one was from our sweet housekeeper Digna). I found the staff to be so nice and attentive, and they all seemed very genuine about it.
The fitness center was a good size, open 24 hrs. Drinks at the bar Rise were great and the view from the 14th floor of the sunset was very special.
We had no problem getting a cab in the evening and the next morning there were plenty of cabs lined up just wating for guests. We walked a pleasant 25 minutes or so home from dinner in Tribeca on Friday night, so that is not a bad option either.

Overall I think this hotel is great and for $370 a good deal for NYC. I loved the area - it is totally different than midtown and that is what we were looking for.

Stayed June 2006
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Ritz-Carlton Battery-Park. The hotel has a good location, the rooms are very nice, and the harbor view is spectacular. However, the aspect of this hotel that is obvious early and often is SERVICE. I have stayed in many good hotels around the world, but I must say that each and every employee we met here is extra friendly and helpful, making it obvious that it is a prime management goal. We stayed on the Club level (which is well worth the extra charge), and the concierges there (Cullen and Angelica) absolutely bent over backwards to help us (e.g. excellent restaurant reservations, times & directions for attractions, a casual mention of our wedding anniversary resulted in many favors, etc.). We'll definitely be back....

• Liked — Great Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a Club Level room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park? Share your experiences!