“Overall Very Nice Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park

You added The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 West Street, New York City, NY 10004 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Up to $200 USD Credit
Ranked #99 of 459 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Overall Very Nice Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2005

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park for two nights in early April, and overall found it positive. When I first checked in (on a government rate) I was supposed to be in one of the back side rooms facing the west side highway, but the nice girl at the desk, Donette, upgraded me to a harbor view room on the 6th floor. As others have noted here, the view is really lovely, and yes, there are telescopes in these rooms to better see lady liberty, etc, with. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant as all Ritz-Carlton restuarants are pretty steep, but there is a nice Amish market a few blocks away and behind that a decent expresso place, both reasonable. If you want to stay in the Battery Park area, then this is the hotel for that. Three different subway lines are all within walking distance, and it's fairly straightfoward to get to midtown Manhattan and elsewhere. That said, its a bit of a trek if you want to spend most of your time in the 42nd/Broadway area or at the more upscale restaurants on the Upper East and West sides. The plus is that Chinatown, Village, Soho are not too far away and lower Manhattan has some sweet designer bargain outlets: Century 21 and Syms are within walking distance. Also Wall Street for sightseeing and acces to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island ferries. The hotel itself is newish, clean, and mostly quiet, although some noise from the Brooklyn tunnel access is unavoidable, and rooms have big bathrooms with soaking tubs and separate shower, and beds are overstuffed with down padding and duvets, quite comfy. I would recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway or a short business trip.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Hertfordshire, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2005

Great view of the Statute of Liberty but this hotel bills itself as being child friendly, yet I would consider charging $14 (before tax and service) for 2 fun size boxes of Fruit Loops and an apple juice for a 4 year old very unfriendly. Breakfast for 2 adults and 4 year old, $91!! I have stayed in other 5* hotels around the world with my child and never paid for his breakfast until now.

Found using buses (stop by the hotel) a great way for getting around the city and little one loved looking at the tall buildings.

Recommend Carmel Car Service, very good service for sightseeing and transfer back to JFK.

• Stayed March 2005
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz Battery Park on 3-11 thru 3-13. I was able to check in at 10:00am. Which was great, since I had flown all night. The staff was very professional and courteous. The Harbor View room was unbelievable. It is worth the extra money, in order to have Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty in view while you sip coffee or tea from your room. The hotel is located in Lower Manhatten and close to Battery Park and Wall Street. However, to reach Midtown or Uptown you need to take a taxi ($15.00 to $20.00 one way) or the subway. The Bowling Green subway (4,5) station is within a couple of blocks and can take you within a general proximtiy of any destination Midtown or Uptown. The Rise Bar at the hotels 14th floor is nice for Martini's and the view is unmatched. Did not try any of the food at the hotel restaurant. I would recommend Uncle Jack's Steahouse (Midtown on 9th Ave-$12.00 cab) for dinner but expensive. The area around the hotel feels very safe, since there are Park Police around at all times. The Ritz met and exceeded all of our expectations....Great stay and will return when it is not cold and snowy.

• Stayed March 2005
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2005

My husband and I stayed here February 18-21, 2005. We wanted to stay downtown for a change and chose the Ritz as part of a package through Expedia. I was slightly worried after reading some of the negative reviews on this website, however, we were pleasantly surprised. We phoned the hotel ahead of time requesting an early check-in since our flight was arriving at 0900. We weren't guaranteed an early check-in but were assured that if this was not possible we could at least leave our luggage at the hotel while we killed some time. Turns out they were able to give us an early check-in which was great. My husband mentioned we were in town for our anniversary and we received a complimentary truffle tray our first night. I have been accused of being overly harsh when critiquing hotels and I really don't have anything bad to say about our stay. We felt it was clean, comfortable, safe, and with the view of Lady Liberty oh so romantic. We can't speak on the quality of the restaurants since we did not eat at the hotel, but the room service pricing was a bit steep. We did not make it to the Rise bar but I'm sure the view is spectacular. For anyone planning a stay in February, inquire about the Chocolate Bar, seems decadent. The only reason we MIGHT not stay again...location. It is relatively far from the action in midtown. If the hotel offered a shuttle we would stay here everytime, no question. Lastly, check-out the Amish market across the street...great for a quick snack or breakfast.

• Stayed February 2005
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2005

I stayed here with my daughter and son in law. We stayed 2 nights in October 2004. The rooms are pricey but one doesn't worry about gross creatures in the beds etc. :( The room was very nice. The view of the Harbor was very beautiful. We could see the Statue of Liberty very clearly. The subway is close-by and taxis are everywhere. The hotel staff are friendly and remember your name. WOW!! I thought only people like The Trumpster got that service. The Ritz is also close by lots of tourist spots,easily within walking distance. The bathrooms are the BEST!!! Workout area is also great. Choose this Hotel. You will be glad! :)

boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

As the Ritz Carlton chain continues to grow, so does my disappoint with
the hotels. This was no exception. The rooms are okay and the service
leaves alot to be desired. The staff is well trained in greetings, etc, but that
is about it. The location, as other reviews stated, is poor. They need
to have a shuttle service to mid-town. Do yourself a favor and look
for other hotels. There are so many outstanding hotels in NYC and there
is no reason to be disappointed as I was.

• Stayed January 2005
England, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2005

Many advised it would be a bad choice to move hotels (we stayed at the Sofitel also), but we did it anyway and spent our last night here. The outside of the Ritz-Carlton, Battery Park is not impressive once you find out rooms only go to the 14th floor and the rest are of the building is condos. However, once inside the hotel is another story. The reception area is small but lovely. We were whisked to our harbour view room on the 4th floor (again this does don’t sound impressive) by our personal butler. The room was huge and gorgeous. We had a direct view of the Statue of Liberty and though my husband thought the telescope was on the cheap side it didn’t stop him from using it. The bed was so comfortable and the amenities were nice.

We ordered room service for our son (pizza, French fries and milk) that was very expensive ($38) and again we needed a bottle of milk which they charged us $10 for (ouch!). We have stayed at several Four Seasons with him and we have never been charged for a bottle of milk. The hotel bills itself as very child friendly, but there was little sign of this. Twice we asked for the highly touted children’s menu and no one seemed to be aware of this. Besides this we found the service to be a bit contrived and overdone. This was shown when two different staff members called my husband by the wrong surname. First he was Mr. Patel and the Mr. Albertson. Apparently, their guest list cheat sheets were wrong. I have never felt the service at the Four Seasons was over the top.

The location of the hotel was perfect for the activities we had planned for our last day. We easily walked to Castle Clinton to get our tickets for the Statue of Liberty. After our visit to the Statue and Ellis Island we walked over to Ground Zero to pay our respects and it all became too much for me. I was in NYC for the US Open in 2001 and flew home on 9/10. I applaud those who worked in the area prior to 9/11 continue to do so. It must be hard to walk past the site everyday.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park? Share your experiences!