“Definitely a winner!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Definitely a winner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at The Bowery House for two weeks in September. After reading some of the reviews on here, I do agree with some points, though it just seems people are being to picky.
To begin with, the website clearly states that the single cabin beds are smaller than normal single sized beds. It also states that the rooms do not have a sealed roof. So people should really learn to read carefully.
When you arrive to check in, if you are lucky you will be greeted by the lovely Val or Tiffany, if not another friendly staff member who will greet you and lay out the rules. If you arrive before check in time (3pm) you can leave your bags there.
I stayed in a single cabin room my entire stay and yes after the initial shock of how little space you have, I got use to it. To give you an idea of the size of the room, I am 5’10” and when laying on the bed, my feet were right up against the wall of the room. The bed is surprisingly comfortable. You do get ear plugs to try and drown out the most horrendous snoring you will ever hear. People are not meant to be talking/skyping/watching movies or pretty much anything that is loud in their rooms. So if you find this happens, go to the reception desk and security will sort them out. You will find every night there are people who do not follow the rules, so if you are a light sleeper you will not be impressed. I do recommend having a few drinks before you go to sleep. If you pass out, you won’t hear the snoring etc.
There are big couches in the common area near reception with a TV. This area is a good place to plan your day in the morning. The Bowery House also has an amazing roof top. There is a decent view up there. You get a good look of the Freedom tower. Most nights there are people up there having some drinks, so if you are traveling solo be sure to head up there when the sun goes down to make some new friends. They did start showing movies on the roof top on a Thursday night which is a fantastic use of the space.
The amenities in the hostel I found to be of a high standard. There was always shampoo/body wash/soap in the showers and bathrooms. Even small things like toilet paper was always replenished. The bathrooms and showers were always clean. In fact the whole place is kept spotless.
The restaurant downstairs called The Bowery Kitchen has amazing food. Guests of the hostel get free coffee/tea and 10% off meals. I highly recommend the Italian Burger!
The hostel is in a great location. There are plenty of subways stations within a block or two. The Soho shopping precinct is a 5 min walk away. There is a Whole Foods (supermarket) down the road. The New Museum across the road is pretty cool. It’s free Thursday nights if you want spend a bit of time lining up. The East Village is down the road where there are a lot of cool bars/pubs.
All in all I found my experience at The Bowery House to be enjoyable. I had never stayed at a hostel before, so I was a bit hesitant to stay here but I am glad I did. I had the pleasure of meeting some amazing people. I feel the value for money is very good. You pay a quarter of the price you would for staying at a hotel and the location is so much better and it isn’t as touristy as say Time Square.
I’d definitely recommend The Bowery House and I would stay here again myself. Make an effort to speak with the people that work there, they are extremely hospitable and are just cool people!
Next time I’d be booking a twin room though.

Room Tip: If you are over 5'8" I'd recommend booking either a shared room or twin cabin. They ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Took a last minute 2-day swing into the city and found this little place while web surfing on the train ride over. Wasn't an area of the city I was real familiar with, but it was pretty easy to get to and find. 1st floor walk-up, so you must be able-bodied. It's a little pricey compared to other Manhattan hostels with similar amenities, but the location and style are top-notch.
Arrived around 8:30. The girl at the desk was not particularly welcoming, but was professional and efficient. Bored-looking Europeans sat in the lounge area, clearly unaware that New York friggen-city was right outside. I got a basic private room, which is a 30-sq/ft cubicle with a 5'8" bed, an end table, light bulb, and wall hook. A towel and pack of earplugs were placed on the bed. It was clearly a stylized homage to the building (and neighborhood's) history as a collection of flophouses for semi-homeless drifters. I thought it was super-cool. Not for light sleepers, as you can hear just about everything, though the earplugs helped a little. Also, if you're tall, don't get the basic 'cabin' with their short beds. I think the bunks are a standard length. The bed was otherwise comfortable, and the temperature was good. Despite the age of the building, everything seemed well-kept and clean. Shampoo/soap/conditioner provided in dispensers within each rain shower. Water temperature got real cold on me for a minute or two, but I just stepped out of the way and it warmed back up.
Coming and going, as well as check-out, was a breeze. There's a cafe/bar on the ground floor. Good breakfast (10%off and free coffee for guests) with friendly service.
Chinatown to the South, Soho to the West, Greenwich Village and NYU to the Northwest. New Museum for contemporary art right across the street. Bowery Ballroom one block down. Great area to walk around. Close to several subway lines. Would definitely stay here again with the same budget/location needs. Also-never realized there was a nice roof deck- definitely would have checked it out.

Room Tip: 437 is an original cabin right across from the men's bathrooms. Could be good or bad.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I really wanted to like that place: the garden on the roof, the restaurant and the living room are very nice.

But, as many person said, the are no roof to the boxes so you hear the sound of at least 30 others person. Around midnight, my neighbor started to snore very loud. I just never heard something like that. It woke me up and I realized my back was itchy. BED BUGS. I'm surprise being one of the only talking about that.

During I was talking photo+killing them, silently of course, my other neighbor started to eat chips. Then, few people knocked loudely on their wall to try to make the guy stop snoring. Didn't work. An other guy went out of his room screaming against the people who were knocking on their wall. Fortunately, a security guy arrived because two people were going to fight, at like 2am. The snoring man finally stoped.

I was staying only one night. In the morning, I told about the bed bugs. I got someting like 25 bites. The girl told me that she would tell the manager and than call me in the afternoon to make a deal. I never got news so I had to pay the entire bill.

Hope no one got the room after me.

• Stayed October 2012
sskunkel, Manager at The Bowery House, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
I am sorry to hear about your recent stay at The Bowery House. If you saw something, you should have alerted the staff and we would have gone to great lengths to not only rectify the problem but also manage the situation for you personally.

As any diligent NYC hotel does, we have monthly cleanings performed by an outside company (EcoLab) to avoid such situations. This is a city-wide challenge for all hotels as the pests can be unknowingly carried in to a facility by guests. As a traveler, a bug could have been attached to your clothing or luggage prior and therefore not indicative of an in-house problem.

Regardless, we continue to have the facility treated on a bi-weekly basis to avoid such situations. We only wish you would have alerted us personally, witnessed our dedication to eradicating and rectifying the situation, before making such claims in a public forum.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Other reviews have mentioned how the walls don't go up to the ceiling, so you basically have to deal with noise from all the other rooms on your floor. I felt that people for the most part were trying to be quiet--you feel as though even talking at a normal level is too loud and that people are able to hear everything you say. The mornings are difficult, with all the alarms and people going in and out of their rooms. But another important thing to mention is that you have to carry your bags up at least three flights of stairs, to reach reception. So if you have mobility issues please don't stay here! Also the hallways are very dark even in the daytime. It's a bit eery and unsettling and you just don't feel good coming back to your room.

I stayed in the women's dorm room which at least had nice big windows. There are only three lockers for six beds, so I don't know how it works when all the beds are occupied in terms of leaving your stuff there. I also left my baggage sitting out in the room and just hoped it would be safe there; no mention was made of storage for large bags.

Yes, so! The location is great, the staff is very nice. The restaurant staff were the best, very sweet and welcoming. They made you feel at home and I loved going down for breakfast each morning. The prices there were quite good too. Hope this is helpful.

Room Tip: Dorm room had nice big windows, while the interior singe and double rooms looked very claustrophobic...
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Definitely concur with the words of the last 3 reviews.
Small box rooms - clean - comfy albeit small beds and high quality linen, shower products. Only 3 toilets on each floor - one separate and 2 in the shower room. Womens on one floor and men on the upper floor. So although it seemed women were mainly on the first floor (where we were), there were some men (like me!) and had to trek up stairs for the shower/toilet, which was through reception. They did give you a nice towelling robe however, but only one for a double room. Although we didnt ask for a 2nd we may have got one. Staff were friendly.
Great location - we used Prince Street and Spring Street Subways stations. The issue is the noise. Picture a high 14 foot high warehouse floor and they have created rooms with 7ft high walls. Sounds travel.
We spent 3 nights there and progressively nights sleep were better as we got used to things. Generally people knew the score and talked quietly and didnt slam doors so much, but heels on hard floors, loudly clicking locks and hair-driers (even at 5am one night!) were an issue. No radios or anything. The problem was alarm clocks (and texts coming in?) which would go off quite a lot. If you want can sleep in say till 10am, then things definitely got quieter later on.
Simply loads of really great restaurants and shops within 5 mins of the place.
Keys - one key and you hand it in when you went out.
Would not stay again unless ceilings were installed on the rooms!

Room Tip: There is one room in the place with a proper ceiling - but it wasnt available for us to 'upgrade...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The rooms are roofless boxes of a former hostel for the homeless. Now they sell it as "Design". Actually you can't sleep, because you here your neighbours snorring, coughing or screaming ... At six in the morning the first I Phone's are ringing to wake up the early birds next to you. The beds are too short to stretch your leg's, even if you are short like Danny de Vito! Never again ...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The good: Inexpensive lodging in Manhattan. Friendly staff, especially if you make an effort to chat with them. Clean shared bathroom and shared shower space. Clean "cabin" (think office cubicle with higher walls, no ceiling, and bed instead of desk). Not right next to a subway stop, but the Spring Street station on the 6 Line isn't that far off, and Spring Street makes for an interesting (in a good sense) walk. Small shower stalls, but plenty of hot water (careful! water tends to flood the shower area making the floor slippery). Lots of restaurant options. Walking distance to Little Italy and China Town. A few homeless folks on the streets, but I never felt unsafe. Free wifi; free coffee/tea, 10% discount on food purchased at attached restaurant.

The bad: OMG - It was noisy noisy noisy! I stayed there on a Sunday and between midnight and 5am I was woken up repeatedly by: a radio being played in cabin next to me, drunk guys yelling for each other across the loft, someone in boots clomping his way to and from the bathroom, sound of a couple making love, a BH working knocking one someone's locked door telling them their airport shuttle is waiting, BH worker talking (loudly) into his radio asking for someone to bring a key for locked door, couple making love again, woman laughing and then crying, slamming doors (hey BH - put some felt or something in the door jambs), two guys who sounded like they were being choked but were in fact just snoring. The little earplugs the Bowery House provides blocked out none of the noise, so I switched to the higher-grade earplugs I always travel with but these were also in adequate.

Oh, and it was never actually dark. The was a string of lights left on all night so people could get to/from the backrooms. They were dimmed, maybe 1/3 the brightness of regular bulbs. But I needed to sleep with a sweater over my head to block out the light. I recommend BH to replace these dimmed overheard lights, which shine down into the cabins, with night lights along the hallway baseboards or floors.

At 5am I gave up trying to sleep, showered, packed, checked out, and found another hotel - more expensive but somewhere I could at least sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Bowery House? Share your experiences!