“Budget Travelling? This is the place.” 4 of 5 stars

The Bowery House
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   220 Bowery, New York City, NY (Nolita)   |
Ranked #39 of 95 New York City B&B and Inns
Halifax, Canada
“Budget Travelling? This is the place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Just got back from a four night stay. Very quaint, clean and unique experience. I felt like it was not a hostel, and geared towards the budget minded traveller. It was easy to walk most places and of course the subway is pretty good (though we had to use the net to search for subway stops as they are not right nearby).

Staff was awesome! Cleaning staff and front desk staff friendly and responsive.

Tips & Points of Improvement:
It is noisy - I got ear plugs on my second night and that was perfect! The doors have no cushioning and slam hard and loud at all hours. Bed incredibly comfortable and clean. Could use some hooks in the cabin we were in, as it rained two days and there was no where to hang our wet coats and umbrellas.

Bathrooms beautiful, but not easy to negotiate to put makeup on (no place to put toiletries). Bring a mirror ladies might be easier.

Not near enough space in the main common area to sit and use your laptop. Internet connection in our cabin was spotty due to its location on the other side of the wall. No internet in the garden which would have been nice on the warm nights.

Booking was spotty and we were very glad we double and triple checked our reservations. I recommend people do that to ensure. We had a little issue at first, and saw many people with booking problems when we were there. It was FULL too!

My husband and I felt very secure here. Did we get what we expected? Yes, we did. Would we return? Yes (with earplugs for both of us). Affordable, unique and not a bad location for getting places in NYC. Felt like I was in the city. Yes, the area is run down (not the Bowery House itself though). I did like the quaintness, and felt a bit like I was in an old 1940's film. :)

I do recommend The Bowery House, but realize the deal you are getting and it is an experience in itself. If you are there to experience the energy of New York, this was great!

Room Tip: Full Cabin worked fine for hubby and I. Didn't need a window, but heard they are nice to have.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Very young and trendy place, they overbooked and I had to pay extra for a larger cabin, but worth it. I waited more than 2 hours to get my room, thanks Marco and Taylor :(

I was one of the lucky few who had a window right on the Bowery Street, (maybe 5 total and only one on main floor), my bed was more than 69"long and my cell was about 5'x8 with a drawer, other people had even smaller places/beds with no windows. The walls are paper thin, more like plywood and the roof is thatched, so even more outside noise can be heard.
The bathrooms are on different floors, main floor is mostly for women, so I had to walk through the lobby and go up the stairs 2-3 times a day to the men's.

The rooms are spotless, I think the hotel's been open since July 2011, the washroom is shared but impeccable as well, the shower stalls are a little small and there is nowhere to put your toiletries, but i'm sure they'll address that. Since this is a high mileage bathroom, expect smells and stuff to break here and to wait for a bathroom or shower. The lobby is expertly decorated, huge custom made table, front desk and chandelier and the furniture in the terrace is super comfortable, i googled the prices and it's in the hundreds per chair.
The toiletries are ultra chic Red Flower, which I now have to find here in Montreal.
I can honestly say they did not cut corners anywhere in any aspect

There are dorms as well, so if you're used to that aspect of travelling, you'll be fine. I'm getting a bit old for that and can't stand snoring/bodily noises and smells.

There are a lot of clubs and it's a busy street at night, but hey! you're in New York!!
I loved looking out the sunny window. The only annoying noise were the from the hipsters who rented the rooftop terrace for a private party one night. Not only depriving us of the terrace, but blaring us with horrible 80's music. The consolation was in the fact these spoiled people left us with dozens of unopened bottles of liquor, so i got to enjoy the breeze in a Manhattan terrace with pretty cool people. The view is great and you would have a very hard time finding this anywhere in this city, at any price.

So, in conclusion, it's perfect for the solo traveler, 2 people or more can split a real hotel room elsewhere, I saw people come together and rent a cabin each, that's just dumb.
To me the small room was a motivation to get out and not do any shopping. The location is amazing, it looks ghetto to the untrained eye, but this is not Disneyland, i like the grungy feel of the area. If I travel solo again, this would be the place to be.

Room Tip: Pay the extra amount for a window on the Bowery, no matter which floor, well worth it. If not availa...
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Glorified hostel. Loud and badly conceived.
Has the benefit of being cheap, but save your money and hang out with the homeless who
hang around the entrance. At least you'll be in interesting company.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Ok lets face it!
It's not for the the comfort you stay at Bowery House, the rooms are tiny, no comfort as a TV, no mirror, one hook only, nowhere to dry your towel, if your unlucky the shower and toilet isn't on the same floor as you stay (men on the 2:nd floor women on the 1:st) The bathrooms are tiled with marble so definitely "slippery when wet" , thin walls so no privacy (My guess is that the owner of this establishment hasn't spent 3-4 nights there as a guest so therefore the lack of comfort details)

So why should you stay at The Bowery? BECAUSE IT'S SOO COOL!

It's different, it's affordable, it's in a central location in a cool area, it's cool to hang in the "Lobby", it's CLEAN, even the soap, shampoo & conditioner is designed to fit the hotel style. And after all if you are an active tourist you'll just sleep there some few hours.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Just got back from a 12 day stay at The Bowery House in NYC. Very impressive. Very affordable and the sheets and pillows were extremely comfortable. The bathrooms were very clean all the time. Coming from Italy and traveling all over Europe I was comfortable with the shared bathrooms and have rarely had ones as nice in 5 star hotels! Bonus points for the location and rooftop. Highly recommend

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I can not warn people enough about this place. If you enjoy sleeping in a cage (3 walls and a wooden lattice 'roof'), whilst eerily listening to the sounds of whatever everyone else was doing in their cage, showering in a shower that does not have a door, toilets that don't have functioning locks and what appeared to be Eastern European prostitutes walking around naked, having your possessions left in your cage, to which the only key must be left with the staff when you walk out the door, then this is your place. I can not stress how frightened and unsafe I felt staying here, to the point I changed accommodation. I am a twenty something year old girl, who has travelled Europe extensively and therefore stayed in many diverse hostels and hotels. However I have never experienced a place that made me feel like this before. This place needs to be shutdown as soon as possible. Do not stay here.

sskunkel, Owner at The Bowery House, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Jenna:

I must admit that I find your review to be borderline outrageous.

The claim about "Eastern European prostitutes walking around naked" is such a stretch I almost have to wonder if your posting is a prank. We carefully screen all of our incoming guests and constantly monitor the premises. We have never had one complaint about people walking around naked or inappropriate behavior. When you checked in and signed your registration card, you would have noticed that no outside guests are permitted here. So your insinuation to the contrary is extremely implausible. One should realize, however, that with a shared bathroom concept there are variables that are ultimately out of our control.

In regards to your claim of being frightened and unsafe - I would like to point out that we have a state of the art security system, 24 hour housekeeping, a 24 hour concierge stationed in front of the female floor and a licensed security guard at the front door.

With respect to the faulty bathroom stall, I can assure you that every single lock in the hotel is new and has been tested extensively. If the toilet stall you were in did happen to malfunction (which is very possible), you should have alerted the front desk and you would have been issued an apology and the situation would have been rectified. I am also sorry that the shower curtain was not a door in your females only shower area. We find that the curtains are more aesthetically pleasing and sanitary.

Finally, due to our historic restoration and preservation mindset we did choose to maintain the lattice-work ceilings in the cabins. This is evident in the pictures on the web. It states very clearly on the website the historic nature of the accommodations. I am sorry you did not find the historical context to be to your liking. At such an affordable price, we can't be everything to everybody even though we try.

Again, I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here. Best of luck in your future travels.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

If you're going to NYC to enjoy the city (and not lounge around your hotel) then The Bowery House is a great fit. The cabins and bathrooms are spotless, beds and pillows surprisingly comfortable. And the location is great--just a few blocks from Soho, with lots of coffee shops, bars, and restaurants within walking distance. One caveat--if you're a light sleeper or a heavy packer, this may not be your place. Cabins are small and do not have enclosed ceilings, so you'll hear your neighbors coming in and out, rustling their belongings, etc. Bring a pair of earplugs. Also, no food is permitted in the hotel--this might be a problem if you like to have the occasional hotel picnic instead of dining out. But the service is excellent and my stay was very pleasant!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Bowery House? Share your experiences!