“Another lovely meal” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Carafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,773 of 11,751 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 45 and 46
Long Island, NY
“Another lovely meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Came back to La Carafe and enjoyed another dinner here. My wife and I had the steak special which was a top sirloin with fries. Included a salad and a glass of wine. All very good. But on all the occasions we have been here, they allow about two minutes between serving the salad and the entrée. I must remember to tell them about the need to space the food properly. I would wholeheartedly recommend this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

yorkshire
“Good Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were pleased to have found this restaurant during our stay in NYC .
We had the special offer which was steak and it was excellent. The staff were friendly and efficient and the atmosphere pleasant. It was very relaxing after a day of high pressure sightseeing

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Chaotic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went on a money evening in April. There were a couple of special offers, all bottles of wine half price and either steak frites or mussels with a starter and a glass of wine for $19.95. We decided to go for both offers.

Starters were fine, onion soup with melted gruyere cheese on top. I had the steak, which was tender and delicious. That's where the good news ends. My companion had mussels, when they came some were hot and others stone cold. He said they tasted like they were reheated, the waiter said they had been left out waiting or my steak to be cooked and were "near a fan". Hmmm. Either way you don't take chances with shellfish so they were refused and he asked for the steak instead, which took some time to arrive but was as good as mine had been. All of this was handled charmingly but chaotically by a team of 3 waiters who didn't see to have any strategy or communication at all. Each item was brought by a different person then cleared by someone else. My friend was served a green salad between his starter and main course twice, I didn't get one. And because we had the deal which included a glass of wine but also bought a bottle at the end of the meal as we were about to leave he was offered the "missing" glass. I wasn't. It was like after the complaint about the mussels they were falling over to put it right, which was good, but didn't think about the other guest.
Anyway it was all fine in the end, I just dread to think how they handle a busy night.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami Beach, Florida
“great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had a wonderful time. The waitress was lovely, the steak I had was delicious and loved the bottomless mimosas for $15.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Killarney, Ireland
“"Yummy!!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner & I had the opportunity to visit NY for a short break & we stumbled across La Carafe. The hostess was friendly, the restaurant pleasantly .decorated & the waitress who served us, Luisa was most friendly & hospitable. She would definitely be a reason for returning here.
We both had steak, which was beautiful, as was our desserts. It was very reasonably priced & we returned there again the following evening.
I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a good meal & hope that you would be fortunate enough to have Luisa attend to your service for the evening.

• Visited February 2013