“Actors are great! Execution could be better...” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #320 of 810 Activities in New York City
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Owner description: Live In Theater is a seasonal company running from April-Nov in NYC!Since 2009 Live In Theater has re-imagined the murder mystery genre. What in the hands of others has been light, superficial, and trivial in the hands of Live In Theater becomes urgent and dynamic. By blending award-winning acting, real historical murders, city streets, and a heightened sense of realism from the actors, what audiences experience is high caliber-in-your-face cutting edge theater. At Live In Theater we offer true interactive immersion by literally placing the audience in the center of the action, as they live in it. Here we play it for real. Come and rediscover your childlike sense of play, while using your adult smarts to try and solve the cases.Live in Theater: Come live your history!
14 attraction reviews
“Actors are great! Execution could be better...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Pros: Overall show was pretty good. Actors did a fantastic job. They stayed in character and were highly amusing. Getting to walk around NYC at the same time was neat.

Cons: Try to go with a group of friends because they'll pair you up with other groups. I think that's how they make more money in one show without having to make the show longer or do more shows in one day. My fiance and I were combined with two others groups so that we were a team of 9 people. 9 people trying to talk to one "suspect" makes little sense if you're trying to give people a "live experience".

Overall, I'd maybe consider Live in Theater again since I love that type of stuff but I'd probably do more Accomplice shows (which are executed better) before I went back to Live In.

Visited April 2014

Arlington, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Birthday Treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We went to a Live In Theater production for my friend Becca's birthday celebration this past weekend. I will admit, my expectations were fairly low since we didn't pay very much for our tickets and I'd never heard of a theater production where you participated in the show... but we had a really great time! Not only were the actors truly top-notch, but the reactions from New Yorkers and tourists on the street added to the entire experience. I would recommend this unique theater experience to natives and travelers alike! Thanks for a great birthday present for our friend!

Visited April 2014
Fairfax, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Highly recommend that you try this, you won't be sorry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We celebrated my daughter's 14th birthday by going to Live-In theater, the Lombardi case. We had such a great time, it was absolutely awesome! We can't wait to try this again on another trip to New York City.

Visited November 2013
North Potomac, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“Fantastic participatory theater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We helped solve a real 19th century murder in New York's 5 Points district, and saw excellent theater at the same time. The idea is fantastic, and the execution was perfect. Actors are available afterwards for discussion. We loved this and will do it again!

Visited November 2013
South Plainfield, New Jersey
“Definitely a fun day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was an amazing experience! My friend and I went to see the Lombardi case and from the start it was very engaging and also allowed us the opportunity to interact with other groups of tourists in solving the case. It was lots of fun to walk around the streets wondering who you will see next and how to approach them. Caution: They RUN AWAY!! I also really loved how they interacted with not only us as group members but also talking to other tourists just passing by. They were in character until the end with unexpected twists.
ps( some adult language, probably not too suitable for younger children)

Visited September 2013