“What's up with the W?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Union Square

You added W New York - Union Square to your Saves list
W New York - Union Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #187 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“What's up with the W?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Last weekend was my second stay at this hotel and unfortunately was a negative experience, as opposed to my last visit. There was a considerable volume of guests but nevertheless, as this is a luxury hotel (and costly) I have high expectations. I ordered The Sunday NY Times; it never arrived (after 2 phone calls). Staff, though helpful, seemed overwhelmed. After check-out, I was exiting with my luggage only to see the doorman harassing the car service waiting for me at the curb (the service had been there for exactly 30 seconds), saying they weren't allowed to wait. I left a phone charger in the room and though I called several times (one time almost immediately after checkout) it was never located, and I had to make many phone calls the following day even to get this information (and the charger was never found). Overall, despite the physical comfort(great location and nice-sized rooms) a disappointment.

Room Tip: the higher the floor, the lower the noise level, and the better the view
Green Features: i am aware they have a "green"policy but I have not really researched it
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hello Emma Goldman,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and your experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you shared. I will share your experience with my team and hopefully when you return to visit us you notice a difference in the level of service we provide. I appreciate you writing. If I can be of any assistance on a future visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Just retuned from 4 days in NYC. The W at Union Square is within easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants, shows.
The hotel itself is a typical W hotel. Nice decor, boutique feel.... I would make sure to ask for the complimentary Dasani water as the 2 bottles of Smart water in the room are $9.00 each. A bit extreme, even for New York!
What makes this hotel 5 stars is the staff. They're amazing.
Thanks again to Charlie for the great breakfast recommendations.

Room Tip: They have rooms with showers only and others with bath/shower combo. Make sue to let them know if...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello Pat,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you had the opportunity to dine at 201 Restaurant and Bar when you were visiting. I will share your great comments with my team! Should you need anything on a future visit please contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

As a native new yorker, I have had my fair share of hotel experiences, amazing restaurants and trendy night life. But I have to say the W Hotel surprised me with its overall experience. Me and my fiancé recently got a new puppy and found that the W accommodated pets. Which is great! We got a pet friendly room with an amazing view of Union Square and great doggie amenities ( dog bed, bowl, organic treats and chew toy!) She was definitely spoiled. The room was spacious, modern and had tons of light. There were many pluses of being in that area, minutes from shopping in NOHO/SOHO, restaurants are everywhere round the hotel, during the day there is a farmers market in the park, and many street performers too. When we came back in that night we were told about the their newly renovated club in the basement level of the hotel. Not only was it under the hotel, there was a private entry for hotel guests! That of course put the icing on the cake. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for dog owners, young hip couples, and professionals who are looking to get away from the cheap, drabby, cream-colored, art deco chain hotels.

Room Tip: Look for the room specials
Green Features: Im not aware of any of the environmental friendly practices
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello bbmed55usa,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. We love our guests with pets and pride ourselves in delivering that Whatever Whenever service with every interaction. I appreciate your kind words and will share them with my team. Should you need any assistance on an upcoming visit please reach out to me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The W times square is one of my favs in NYC. The lobby is huge and their is free wifi throughout. The lobby bar is great and the staff is equally as nice. The rooms are a bit small, however this is NYC. I highly recommend the W

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hello Eric,
Thank you for writing about your experience with us. It is always nice to read such raving reviews. We look forward to your return.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

There are 4 different W hotels in NYC, but this is my favorite - the location (in Union Square) is amazing, the staff friendly, the rooms surprisingly large and well appointed, and there is a great scene at the bar and restaurant in the lobby. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hello Jeremy,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us. It is always nice to read such wonderful comments about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Please reach out to me directly when you plan on visiting us again! Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com
I look forward to your return!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I just stayed for a week at the W Union Square with my husband. I can tell you that the staff bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable and had the room we desired. The location of the hotel is the best & most central spot you can pick in Manhattan. The hotel is classy, clean and the staff are down to earth and friendly. I absolutely love this place and felt totally at home. This is my hotel pick for NYC.

Room Tip: Getting an upgrade to the fabulous room is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Susan,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy an evening at 201 Restaurant and Bar! I will share your wonderful experience with my teams. Should you need any assistance on an upcoming visit please reach out to me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Seattle WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

W has taken an old building in Union Square and "W-ized" it very well. Hip decor that you'd expect, but aside from great water pressure in the shower (thanks to an old, big-pipe building) the thing that stands out is the friendly, responsive staff. From chambermaids to room service delivery to front desk, they make it a pleasure. Rates are reasonable (remember, this is NYC). A good option compared to some of New York's high end, high priced hotels, none of which can beat the W Union Square on service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello Skibip,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review W New York Union Square. I truly appreciate how you highlighted "it is all about the service". I will share your wonderful comments with my team. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Gerald Tellez

Been to W New York - Union Square? Share your experiences!