“My favorite W hotel in NYC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Union Square

You added W New York - Union Square to your Saves list
W New York - Union Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #143 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“My favorite W hotel in NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

There are 4 different W hotels in NYC, but this is my favorite - the location (in Union Square) is amazing, the staff friendly, the rooms surprisingly large and well appointed, and there is a great scene at the bar and restaurant in the lobby. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hello Jeremy,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us. It is always nice to read such wonderful comments about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Please reach out to me directly when you plan on visiting us again! Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com
I look forward to your return!
Gerald Tellez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I just stayed for a week at the W Union Square with my husband. I can tell you that the staff bent over backwards to make sure we were comfortable and had the room we desired. The location of the hotel is the best & most central spot you can pick in Manhattan. The hotel is classy, clean and the staff are down to earth and friendly. I absolutely love this place and felt totally at home. This is my hotel pick for NYC.

Room Tip: Getting an upgrade to the fabulous room is worth it.
Hello Susan,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy an evening at 201 Restaurant and Bar! I will share your wonderful experience with my teams. Should you need any assistance on an upcoming visit please reach out to me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Seattle WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

W has taken an old building in Union Square and "W-ized" it very well. Hip decor that you'd expect, but aside from great water pressure in the shower (thanks to an old, big-pipe building) the thing that stands out is the friendly, responsive staff. From chambermaids to room service delivery to front desk, they make it a pleasure. Rates are reasonable (remember, this is NYC). A good option compared to some of New York's high end, high priced hotels, none of which can beat the W Union Square on service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello Skibip,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review W New York Union Square. I truly appreciate how you highlighted "it is all about the service". I will share your wonderful comments with my team. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

After a long wait between paydays a small ship came in and this gastronomy gal decied to treat my partner to a spoiled night in a great hotel, I enlisted the restaurant staff of the w hotels main floor eatery a great supervisor , sorry I never got your name but your worth a million. And the amazing MIMI a new import from the big easy only two weeks in newyork helped plan my surprise. The time arrived my wife thought it was a quick dinner before an ardous ride to queens in peak hour. The amazing morgan she of the amazing art work(in joke) priced the room made the bookings all I had to do was provide the credit card. The amazxing wilmer (just learned the supervisors name) managed his talented crew like a seasoned pro. Wilmer spoke to the chef a special menu was arranged as I live with serious dietary requirements, and ella arrived and the service was spectacular Mimi is and was amazing. The pasta aribiata was to die for Mimi found me a wine from the town I was born in, and for the first tome in a longtime my baby smiled she laughed the mission was a success. The W like all major properties still has some work to do there were a few minor hiccups, but with pro's like badir running crews like wilmer and mimi they don't have far to reach for the stars and as many as they deserve are theirs for the taking. In my forty years in the hospitality industry fewer meals have been better and when the room was a surprise for her at the end and it's exceptional quality was simply the cherry well done to the W hotel and all who sail in her. Mia G and Zeus

Hello Mia,
Thank you for writing such an amazing review on your stay with us!! I will share all of your wonderful comments with the members of our team in 201 Restaurant and Bar! I love how they really personalized your experience! If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please reach out to me directly at Gerald.Tellez@Whotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Dear W Hotel Union Square:

I along with my sister-in-law Nicole my daughter Clarke and my niece Ava, recently enjoyed an amazing stay at W Union Square. Besides feeling welcome and comfortable this stylish hotel delivered wonderfully on its signature service – and as such the real “stars” of this hotel must be mentioned by name as follows:

Silotte Dauphine: an elegant, stunning and lovely French Lady, whom we met at the Concierge Desk. She was warm, informative and provided us with helpful tips for getting around Manhattan -- Silotte provided each of us with complimentary fold- up “mini” umbrellas noting their convenience for being easy to tuck away, before escorting us to the subway to ensure that we took the “correct” train to Brooklyn. She went above and beyond!!

Bernardo Reyes: very cool and knowledgeable Concierge with great personal style and accessories – He took the time to create a personal type-written itinerary with Fourth of July recommendations (delivered to our room) that was customized to our adventure. Not only did he deftly navigate multiple locations for cool Noho, Soho & Nolita, boutiques for us he directed us to the legendary "cronut" line up where we were lucky to receive the last 4 cronuts of the day!! “He gets us!”

Tanya Decosta: a lovely young woman - also part of the Concierge Team who hit the nail on the head with her recommendations for cool shops (Brooklyn Charm) and places to go that our 17 and 13-year-old girls fully embraced.

Stella Draksin-Okjan, Welcome Desk: Great energy Super Fun, hilarious and friendly, with great advice! We sent our girls to Big Daddy’s for breakfast upon her recommendation and tackled Central Park with ease based on her tips.

Eddie Ruiz, Welcome Desk: very professional and on top of things, he generously relocated our room so that we could enjoy an even better view of the city.

The common thread among each of these individuals is that they are truly authentic, clearly love what they do, have a generosity of spirit, are proud to offer their knowledge and services, and have a talent for seamlessly anticipating guests’ needs in an extremely pleasant, kind and informative manner. – BRAVO!

Each of them are to be congratulated for their exemplary service. Together these shared intangibles make the difference between having a good stay or having a memorable experience. Because of them we will definitely recommend W Union Square to our friends and family, and we will of course return to this hotel in a flash.

With very best wishes,

Patty & Clarke (Toronto)
Nicole & Ava (Calgary)

Room Tip: just ask - The Welcome Desk is very accommodating and gave us a great room when we asked.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hello Patty,
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. We always appreciate when our guests write reviews and highlight members of my team. I will share your wonderful comments with Sillotte, Bernardo, Tanya, Eddie, and Stella. I know they always go above and beyond to make our guests feel right at home. I am glad they made you and your family's trip to New York amazing!! For any assistance with an future visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed at the W Union Square with my wife for a night in May for my birthday. Awesome rooms, friendly staff. They went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. Would definitely recommend. 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hello Gabe,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your trip to New York City. I will share your wonderful comments with the members of my team. If I can be of any assistance on an upcoming visit please feel free to contact me directly at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed at the W the night before my wedding and the night of my wedding. The experience was beyond horrible.

A couple of weeks before checking in, we called and spoke to a manager about having a bottle of sparkling wine placed in our room on our wedding night and then having juice brought from room service the next morning. The day we were supposed to check in, we received a voicemail from a hotel employee telling us we needed to call back to clarify our asks. When we did, we were passed among three different people, all saying with some level of rudeness or attitude that they didn't know what we were talking about. We finally spoke to a manager, who assured us that our requests would be taken care of.

When I arrived at the hotel with two bags and my wedding dress, there was no one to assist me, not even one doorman to open the two heavy front doors going into the hotel. I had to wait for another guest to exit and ask for help with the doors so I didn't damage my dress.

At the front desk, I was told my reservation could not be found. I said this was impossible because we had just spoken to a manager thirty minutes prior about our reservation. The manager overheard this and checked me in himself. He apologized for the confusion and said he was going to have a fridge with the juice we wanted brought to our room before we returned from our wedding, so that we didn't have to be disturbed the next morning. This was the fourth time we had discussed this request. Of course, no juice ever appeared at any point.

But worst of all, by far, was the treatment when we returned to the hotel after our wedding. Our keys had stopped working, so we went to the front desk to get them reactivated. While we were there asking for help, a woman behind the desk shot us a very dirty look. I asked her why she was glaring at us, and she responded by rolling her eyes and then verbally attacking us—raising her voice and trying to start an argument. I could not believe someone was treating us this way at the end of our wedding night. I was shaking and practically in tears.

We went to our room after asking her name (Tamara Fleurose), and the other person from the front desk delivered two glasses of Champagne to us to apologize for Tamara's behavior. Unfortunately, they were brought to us on a dinner plate rather than a tray, and one fell and shattered glass all over our hotel room floor.

I usually stay at W Hotels about five times a year. After this experience—having someone be so incredibly rude to me on my wedding night—it will be very hard for me ever to consider the W as an option in the future.

I also sent Katherine, the "talent coach," an email about Tamara's behavior, but she never responded.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Gtellez, Front Office Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Hello AMoore74,
Thank you so much for sharing with us your recent experience with us. We here at W Hotels love making those special occasions that much more memorable. To hear we have fallen short is always something we take seriously. Please accept my sincere apologies for the service issues you encountered during your stay. At no point should any member of my team made you feel so unwelcome. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I know we can't change the past but we can certainly make a difference on a future visit with us. Please reach out to me directly when you plan on returning. I would love to make sure you have a much better experience from start to finish. You can contact me at Gerald.Tellez@WHotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Director of the Welcome Office

Been to W New York - Union Square? Share your experiences!