“Very Pleasant Stay at the W” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W New York - Union Square

You added W New York - Union Square to your Saves list
W New York - Union Square
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Park Avenue South, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #143 of 458 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Blacksburg, VA
“Very Pleasant Stay at the W”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

We loved our stay at the W Union Square. We stayed two nights July 1 and 2. The staff was great. The bed was very comfortable and we had a nice view of Union Square. Construction noise on Union square started early, but we were up anyway.

• Liked — Friiendly staff
  • Disliked — Construction noise on street below
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

First, let me say that I LOVE W Hotels! Everything about them (for the most part) is FABULOUS...the design, the decor, the lobbies are all chic, chic, chic. However, I was so dissapointed when I checked into my room at this property. My room was the tiniest thing known to man... I think it was designed for Papa Smurf.

Now, I've traveled to NYC before, and I know all about the notoriously small hotel rooms there, but this prior knowledge did not prepare me for my stay at the W. Imagine a Queen size bed...now draw a line around it about 1 foot out from the bed (on all sides) and that's about how big the entire room was.

Getting beyond the fact of its size, the room was very dimly lit and and just didn't seem to be welcoming or inviting at all. I REALLY wanted to like it though, but I just couldn't. Sorry W. I'm glad I only slept there for 2 nights.

The saving grace here was the awesome Front Desk staff, the happening lobby bar scene each night and the amazing restaurant.

• Liked — lobby
  • Disliked — the small room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Four nights at end of May into early June for roughly $350/night through travel agent for an upgraded, nice "spectacular room" (Starwood labeling).

Very good value, have stayed here before, will again but not for more than ~ $450/night.

Bellman - helpful, efficient.
Lobby - slightly cramped.
Check in - computer down and given someone else's room, problem quickly rectified.
Three elevators - cramped and older, but never too long of a wait.
Room - good size, no obvious signs of wear.
Service - extra towels brought within minutes of call.
Location - close to shopping and metro.

• Liked — service, location
  • Disliked — small elevators
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stayed here one Sunday night and were upgraded to a larger room upon our arrival. Not sure if this was because I'm an SPG member. The check-in area is relatively small, but they do have a nice seating area off to the side that ties in with the hotel bar.

Check in was fast and friendly and you can play with the funky grass decor they've decided to spread around the check-in desk.

We were near the top floor, and having stayed at other NYC hotels, the room size was generous. Nice bed, flat screen TV, large bathroom, clean.

Really there were only 2 drawbacks:
1. Our view out both windows was blocked by a stone railing that went around the building. You had to stand on a chair to see over it.
2. Internet access was something like $14.95. In this day and age of free access at some much cheaper places, this was a drawback.

We would certainly stay here again. Liked the location near Greenwich Village.

• Liked — Room size and locaton
  • Disliked — pay for internet access
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

We arrived early Saturday morning and were lucky to get an executive check-in for the Mega Room, which was not SO mega.. but nice. Being able to check in at 7am was a HUGE plus for us, especially after our red-eye flight. My gf attempted to surprise me with champagne and strawberries 2x, but the ball was dropped both times and they forgot to bring it while we were out to dinner.. so they brought us 2 bottles of water.. big whoop. The maids never actually CLEANED our room. While they made our bed, every single glass/empty water bottle/champagne (that we had to go out and buy) was left. Our room was beginning to look like the aftermath of a frat house party. Only when I emptied the contents of our room into the middle of the hall, were they picked up. We were also constantly bothered by pestering maids, hotel staff and wake-up calls we didn't set up at 5am. They would stop by the room every 30 minutes.... ridiculous. It didn't end when we checked out. I left an expensive black belt in the room and when I returned home, I called to have it shipped to me.. but to my surprise, they didn't find anything in the room! I'm sure the maid's son just got a fine piece of leather.

The location was great, staff not the sharpest tool in the shed, bartender from the bronx is awesome, extremely loud music from the bar SHOOK our room til 2am.. thank God we were up.
I wouldn't stay here again.. I've had GREAT service at every other W, but this was the worst...by far.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Staff. Cleanliness. Service.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

Considering the pricetag, we were disapponted in this hotel.

The pluses were the courteous staff and the fact that the hotel was neat the clean. The hotel also required a room card to use the elevator. Not a bad securty measure. The bar located off the lobby served a really good white sangria

The minus was that the room was quite small and not much of a view. The room was meant to house only one person not two. We had a difficult time moving around each other while getting dressed. There was only one comfortable chair in the room. The room only had a shower, no bath tub. This is definately not a kid friendly place. The lobby was also small and the seating seemed to be in constant use.

The location is a good one during the day. Itis close to a number of NYU facilities. There have been some issues involing violence in Union square recently.

The price to value ratio is the primary reason for the lower ranking

If you are thinking about holding a catered event at the hotel, I would think twice. The event we attended had an open bar but not enough bartenders. The hor dov's were brought out on small plates that only held 12 hov dov's. They were passed around by the waiters. The waiters and their tiny little trays barely made it into the room before all of the food was grabbed up by the staving crowd. They also took a long time between bringing out additional plate of food. I gave the impression that the waiter may have been preparing the food.

There were over 100 people attending the event, some were elderly. There was inadequate seating provided for older guests (people in thier 80's) . The food severed for dinner ranged from poor to adequate. An asparagus rissoto was a pasty lump and filet was nicely cooked but not very flavorful. The desert was OK but nothing special.

• Liked — White sangria served at the bar
  • Disliked — Small room
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

As a first timer to the big apple, I wanted to be central to everything and Union Square was the place to be.

RESERVATIONS/CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT:
This is the worst part of my stay. There were some glitches were due to some circumstances, I had to postpone my stay from January to May. I had booked online via their website a deal where if you buy two nights you get the third free. Perfect! When I learned that I would not be able to make my original trip, I called the hotel---I had to call 10 times to get a manager--when I got a hold of the manager, they told me, no problem and moved my reservation. This was 4 months before my arrival. One week prior to arrival, I called to confirm my reservation. I was not anywhere in their system. I sat on hold for 30 minutes while they tried to find me. Finally, somehow, my starwood preferred guest program booked me under my maiden name. Fine, no big deal. I have a room over looking the park, right? I was assured I would. I called day of arrival to let them know my flight was delayed, but I would be there between 11-12 so to please hold me room. I was once again told no problem. When I arrived at 12am, I was told they were completely sold out and that I would in-fact not get my room. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I was tired and I said I didn't care, just put me in a room and we'll figure it out in the morning. I was assured that I would get compensated for my trouble because they did note that I had called and said I would be there. Upon check out, I checked my bill and saw no compensation and some other charges that I couldn't figure out. I spent a half hour at the front desk straightening out my bill, but finally got it squared away.

ROOM:
I had a mega room (on my second and third night) which is the largest below a suite. It was very large and spacious with views over looking the city below. (we were on the 19th floor). I didn't hear any street traffic or people in their rooms. Every once and a while I could hear people in the hallway, but only if they were loud. The bathrooms were very large with a separate tub and shower. The robes were soft and luxurious and there were bliss amenities. A large flat panel TV and a docking station for my ipod/iphone. The beds were comfortable and the linens were soft. The cleaning staff didn't bang on our door early in the morning, but we were out of our room by 10:30 am.

*I was a little surprised to see that the hallways leading to the rooms were stained. This is the only part that I thought needed improvement*

RESTAURANT/BAR:
These were swanky and attached to celebrity names Todd English and Randy Gerber. The lounge area was always packed with those wanting to see and be seen. They poor stiff drinks, so be careful! I got tipsy pretty fast! The food at Olives was good. Ultra modern decor with white square plates, exotic plants, straight lines, crisp linens (you get the idea) we only ate breakfast there, but the service was great as was the food. Fresh baked bread for my toast. Warm eggs, crisp bacon.

LOCATION:
This is central to everywhere you want to be in NYC. You are close to Greenwich Village, Soho, East Village, Tribeca, the Meat Packing district and just a few stops on the subway to Times Square and Central Park. If you have time, go to Supper in the East Village, the best little Italian joint (It's cash only though) There is a Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, Whole Foods and everything you may possible need within a two block radius of the hotel.

OVERALL:

A great, comfortable stay and an even better location. Hopefully next time I come back I will not have the same problems with check in/check out. But, I would definitely come back and would recommend this hotel to hip, modern couples without children. I think the noise and loud music may be a little too much for families. They also allow dogs, if you need to travel with your pooch.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to W New York - Union Square? Share your experiences!